Next-Gen Gamers: Illegal to resell your games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by srobert, May 24, 2006.

1. macrumors 68020

srobert

What!?

Ok. Tell me I'm reading this wrong or that this guy's source is just making this up. I probably read that wrong…

I didn't specify PS3 in the thread title because their is nothinh preventing othert companies to use this licensing system… except maybe common sense and decency.

There is a huge second-hand games markets because games got more expensive. Next-gen games are likely to be even more expensive so I'd expect the demand for second-hand games to rise even more. Will game consoles manufacturers have the guts to lock us out of this and bleed us for all the money they can?

Link (Games Radar)

2. macrumors 604

clayj

If this is true, it is SERIOUSLY going to piss off game retailers like EBGames, Gamestop (OK, technically these two are the same company now), etc. A lot of retailers have pushed heavily into the trade-ins market, since they actually make more money (profit margin) selling a used game than they do selling a new game... and getting people to trade in their old games encourages them to buy new games when they're tired of their old ones.

Also, how's this going to affect game rental services like GameFly, Blockbuster, etc.? And how does Sony plan to enforce this? Are discs going to work only on the FIRST PS3 console they're played on?

I guess Sony decided it wasn't enough to shoot themselves in the right foot... now they wanna shoot themselves in the left foot, too. Any desire I may have had to buy a PS3 shrinks daily...

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Indeed. A clerck at EBGames once told me that thier store would have been out of business if it wasn't for used games.

Personally, I buy so many games because I can can reinvest some of that money in other new games by reselling my old unwanted games. I purchase games I might otherwise not have because I know I can ressl 'em if I don't like 'em.

The more I think of it, the more I think it's very unlikely. They know people won't stand for it so they won't even bother trying. But then again, they might be able to pull this off in Japan. Maybe a Japanese board member can tell us if that proposed law preventing the resale of used electronics passed?

Edit: I dug up another article.

4. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well you cant trade in PC games here in Ireland at the same stores you can trade in console games, so it's very feasable sony will incorportate a license. Simply you press triangle or X at start , you've accepted licence and hey presto your fecked..

Sony will certianly kicking theselves in the NUTs though. Are they so worry free over piracy on the PS3 that they can continue to screw the consumer and bite the hand that feeds them?

Sony deserve to fail if they continue in the veign that they are currently...

5. macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    This would be the only thing stopping me from purchasing a PS3, and I bet game retailers could say "HEY, **** you! I won't sell your NEW games or your consoles anymore!" And then Sony would be screwed.

I wonder what their real sources are...

6. macrumors demi-god

Spanky Deluxe

The trading in of PC games has nothing to do with licenses. Its due to the fact that PC games are so easily copied and passed on. If people could return PC games they would simply install the game, copy the disks and return or trade the game in store. Its not as easy to copy games for consoles. Yes it can be done but you need to know what you're doing and you need to have your console chipped etc.

7. macrumors Core

Dagless

I will not buy any system that uses this. Wii included. This is a massive system killer. I buy a few 2nd hand games from time to time, great impulse buys at about 1/4 the original price (sometimes!).

Didn't Sony mention this a long time ago too? The fact they're talking about it again worries me so. Something about BluRay games only working on 1 PS3 system. making 2nd hand and swopping games a thing of the past for the machine.

I'm worried. But I'd laugh if Sony did go through with it. As if they haven't had enough negative press recently.

8. thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

It was once mentioned that Sony would implement DRM locking 1 game to 1 Playstation 3 console but Sony has seen told that that rumor was wrong.

This time, the rumor is about Sony (and possibly other game publishers) making it illegal for you to resell your game. My guess is that they're going to write something in the EULA. Then, they'll probably go after the stores that have second hand games on their shelves and sue like there is no tomorrow. Sony is a large part of the RIAA after all.

I'm still waiting (expecting) to hear Sony officially debunk this Rumor. (knock on wood)

9. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I have heard about this quite awhile ago... sometime last year. Publishers in general (not just Sony) are getting irked that so much "potential profit" is getting sucked away by the pre-owned games market.

The rumblings I heard were of just such a thing but no word was given on who or when this master plan would get off the ground. Sounds as if Sony might be the first, as I haven't heard anything from Microsoft regarding 360 since it's launch and I doubt Nintendo cares about this anyway.

This would only stop retail outlets though, like EB Games, GameStop, GoGamer.com, eBay (yes, likely), etc. Private trades/sales couldn't be avoided.

But yeah, it would suck quite badly and is definitely a looming potential... especially for PS3 from the sounds of it.

10. macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Correct me if I'm wrong, but:

1) Isn't the PS3 going to use Blu-Ray?
    2) Won't these players (and by extension the recorders) be horrendously expensive for quite some time (read: years)?
    3) For the forseeable future, wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy the game rather than make a copy of someone else's disc?

I feel like I'm missing something here, but I can't see what it is.

I love my local secondhand game/DVD/CD shop. When it comes to those formats, they get more of my business than ITMS and Amazon and all those other stores combined.

11. thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Seems to me that you guys you guys are in agreement. Or maybe it is I who is missing something.

P.S.: At first I misread your name as: corpus cavernosum. :p

12. macrumors 68040

matticus008

This will be ugly for Sony unless they change the language used in their description of games. You can resell the games you bought legally and Sony can't take that right away. The only way they could get away with this is by selling the games as rentals/leases...which in turn would only be successful if prices were lower.

That said, that article is unsubstantiated and lacking in sources, so it might just be a smear campaign, not that the PS3 needs any help getting people to dislike it.

13. macrumors 68040

I think this is a terrible idea. Personally, I don't see how this could benefit anyone, including the producers. There are so many crappy games out which warrants buying used and/or selling back. All of my recent purchases for the gamecube have been trading games in for new ones. It also keeps the hobby cheap(er) as I can play a game, beat it and sell it back and buy a used (read discounted) game to play. I'm more likely to buy into a new franchise if I can buy in used. That way, I'll buy the new games when the come out.

Anyway, I've also read that first party Wii games will still be $50. Here's hoping that all of the Wii games will be $50 max.

14. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

On the contary..

The producers/publishers would love this idea, remember when a game passes hands once, twice, three times etc... the original producers are only getting paid once. They get nothing for a game being sold on and on and on...

They would rather see a shop sell two games, than 1 game twice.

15. macrumors 604

clayj

Aaaaaand... how many times are they going to be paid when gamers stop buying their games because of onerous restrictions regarding resale?

If some game publisher tried to tell me that I could never trade in a game of theirs that I bought, my response would be short and sweet: Take your games and cram them.

16. macrumors 65816

plinkoman

this is a load of crap.

i sure as hell hope nintendo doesn't adopt this.

what are people who want an older game supposed to do when it goes out of production? are they going to keep producing every game forever? or are they going to tell you "too bad, shouldn't have waited"? I still, to this day continue to buy n64(my fav console) games, but obviously their all second hand; what am I supposed to do in the future, buy every single game I might like just in case? and then I can't even re sell it if it sucks?

I am so sick of drm... :rolleyes:

17. macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

That's true for discerning folks like ourselves, but for the vast majority of the bread-and-circus crowd, they'll buy them anyway, because they have to have it.

You'd think Sony would have learned their lesson after the rootkit fiasco, but I'm wondering how much that actually impacted their bottom line, both in terms of the settlement and in terms of raw sales figures.

18. macrumors 68040

XNine

That's where you're wrong. I was 100% sure I was going ot get a PS3 no matter what. If this is enforced, say good bye. Metal Gear Solid 4 or no, I don't care. IF I can't pick up games later on that I missed (such as Castlevania: SotN) because of this, it is of no use to me.

Sony BMG produced the rootkits, not Sony CE. And this wouldn't be a rootkit isntalaltion, it would be a LAW.

19. macrumors Core

Dagless

Why stop at games though? I'm sure the film division of Sony would love a similar idea adopted to BluRay films.

The only way I can see this being a good idea is if game prices are massively reduced. £60 for a Bluray game? £20.

20. macrumors 603

zelmo

So I guess that means no renting games from GameFly or Blockbuster then, right?
    That will all but guarantee that only sure-fire big sellers will even get developed. Who is going to take a chance releasing something different like Shadow of Colossus when no one can rent before they buy? Most people will just buy Madden 2025 or Tomb Raider 12 instead.:rolleyes:

Stupid move if it happens, Sony.
    When will they all learn? Hardware companies need to treat each console launch like it is their very first foray into games, because it kinda is. Each new wave of systems is an opportunity for someone else to claim the throne...for five years. Getting smug bites you. Just ask Sega, Nintendo, and soon, ask Sony.

21. macrumors G3

Counterfit

If I recall, there was a case some years ago were it was decided that record companies do NOT have the right to royalties from the sale of used discs. I think this falls under the same reasoning. The owner of the physical media (note that they don't own the game) has every right to sell that copy of the media to another party, without owing royalties for the content to the content owner.

22. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Realistically this is actually happening on PCs already.

Windows XP is the poster child of this, think about it.

Then you have games like WoW, Tribes 2, etc that use the CD Key to create an account in the game. Selling the game is pointless for these unless the seller gives you the account as well. This isn't exactly the same, but things are getting close.

23. macrumors 68040

matticus008

That's correct. CDs and DVDs can be resold under transferal law, as they are owned by the purchaser, so long as no copies have been made (or they have been destroyed) and no use rights of the original purchaser are retained. More recently, SoftMan Products v. Adobe Systems upheld resale rights of software (which is somewhat different from music/video), establishing that particular right in software as well as recordings. Still, no copies or installations may be retained and no license or privileges and rights are retained by the original purchaser after resale.

So if you sell your copy of game x, and you have an expansion game x.y that requires game x, you can no longer use the expansion game x.y after selling game x. Fortunately, this setup is pretty rare in console games.

No it's not. You can resell your Windows XP disc and license legally as long as you transfer the CoA and the disc, destroy all copies, and remove all installations. Sony's policy here would be like claiming that you can't resell your retail-purchased XP license and media.

24. macrumors 68040

XNine

For everyone:

Game and movie RENTAL SHOPS always pay a substantially larger amount of money for a title than a consumer. Old videos at blockbuster could cost up to 200 dollars or more PER COPY, because those shops have to pay licensing fees to the studios in order to rent them. Same with games. So the industry LOVES these companies, and won't destroy what revenue they generate. However, 2nd hand sales is what they may try to eliminate.

25. macrumors Core

Dagless

No, there would probably be rental versions. but home films I can imagine being tied to 1 player (or account).

But from what I'm seeing now Sony are going to way of Nintendo a la N64. Like what Zelmo said; smugness kills. But if the DS popularity and Wii publicity is any indication of Nintendo's upcoming console success then Sony will fight back and overtake once more. Leap frog. happens in PC/Mac stuff, pop (first with it's hip-hop influence, now its rock...) etc.