next-gen gaming and multiplayer

Discussion in 'Games' started by cwright, Nov 15, 2006.

1. cwright macrumors 6502a

Whatever happened to good old-fashioned gameplay against your friends–you know, physical people in your living room? I'm tired of all this online crap!

Sure, I know playing against people online is cool, but why can't game manufacturers ever make multiplayer games that can be played offline? Last year my roommate got an Xbox 360 and Project Gotham Racing 3. It was a fun, multiplayer game and we played it for a long time. But, after that, we couldn't find any more. They were ALL single player, or online multiplayer! We got tired of PGR3 and never played the damn thing again!

So now I would LOVE to get a PS3 for the added blu-ray movie playback, but I just can't do it unless there are some good multiplayer games available, and there AREN'T. Hell even Ridge Racer 7 appears to require an internet connection to play multiplayer and it's a racing game for Christ's sake! It can't be that hard to make a simple offline multiplayer mode! I've been looking at all the launch titles and (with the exception of Madden NFL 07–I'm not a fan of football games) all of them are just single player adventure games. I don't have the patience to play these stupid games, as advanced and cool-looking as they may be. I just want some simple, offline racing or fighting multiplayer games! Is that too much to ask?

I know the Wii will have better multiplayer games, but I really wanted the system to double as a blu-ray player. Plus, the way my home theater is setup, the Wii may not work due to it's sensor bar that must be attached to the console.

/end rant

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I agree. The best multiplayer games I played weren't against friends or random people (might as well be bots) hundreds of miles away. Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Smash Bros. All local. Actually! over Christmas some mates are organising a huge Halo multiplayer. 4 Xbox 360's, 4 Halo 1 discs, 16 controllers, 4 HDTV's all making the splitscreens easier to see. Should be fun!

Give me local over online any day. Sure online has it's convenience, but for quality? nah.

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Uh… the vast majority of games can be played together offline. For example: Kameo, Gears of War, PDZ, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Call of Duty 2/3, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat. And those are just ones I own. There are plenty more.

Howabout look for games that allow you to play together, instead of using a logical fallacy and making yourself look dumb?

4. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I actively seek out and support co-op games. In fact, the 360 because of XBL, has a lot of co-op features built into it.

For example, my friend and I played all of Halo and Halo 2 co-op via splitscreen. I've taken other friends online via guest account to play Ghost Recon. I've done the last two Splinter Cell games entirely co-op.

Star Wars Lego has drop in/drop out co-op. Rainbow Six: Las Vegas will have co-op too. Marvel Ultimate Alliance has FOUR PERSON co-op and it's crazy fun! :D

And, the biggie of them all, Gears of War, supports co-op for the entire campaign.

I skipped Spinter Cell: Double Agent this time around because it doesn't support co-op. Vote with your wallet.

5. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

You're basing your (uneducated) rant on the experience from playing one game?

Nice one. :rolleyes:

6. dwishbone macrumors regular

the wii will have the strongest offline multiplayer most likely. it is just nintendo's mantra when it comes to the wii...so they are going to really push that element more than anyone else. it also will have online games starting in january...supposedly.

xbox 360 wont double as a Bluray, but you can get the HD-DVD attachment. i dont know why people really care either way about next gen movie formats...because only one will win out...and im not going to spend money on a movie in a format that may not be around. anywho.
    360 has some really great multiplayer games with 2-4 players locally. you can even take games like Call of Duty or Gears of War and play online with the same console if you want to. my only gripe about many games with death match style modes for the 360 is the lack of bots. that's just inexcuseable. Gears of War is a good example again because it lets you team up either locally or online for the entire story mode.

PS3 i am sure will have multiplayer games, but right now they just need games...period. hell they need systems in the stores...

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As the only active gamer in my household, it's good to have options for live multiplayer. Sometimes you cant get a group of friends around just because your in the mood for some gaming (they may not be).

All is good, all is welcome :)

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

PGR3 sucks ass anyways. And, unless I've gone completely mad, at last weekend's LAN party I distinctly remember playing 4-on-a-screen COD3 (why we used the smallest screen in the room rather than my nice 17" TFT, though... :D)

9. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't say there weren't any multiplayer games... it just seems that the focus in gaming has shifted from local play to 'online only' multiplayer. And in many cases the games that do offer local multiplayer are only co-opt, not allowing you to play against others on your local system.

I guess I just miss the days of 4-player first person shooters and racing games.

10. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I think the best would be local co-op with a real live buddy go against some random fools on the net. :D

11. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

12. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Uh… your arguement still makes no sense. I don't think I've SEEN a multiplayer game that isn't offline as well as online. And I know I haven't seen a game that offers co-op but not local multiplay.

13. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I'm sorry, but when I'm playing against other people, I don't want them to be able to glance down and see where I am, what I'm doing, etc. And it's very nice to have your screen to yourself and play against multiple people instead of having a tiny square to look at.

14. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I agree, local is way better than online, its just that online is easier and less expensive to set up, playing against your actual friends is awesome, LAN multiplayer is just too great, I have 3 current-gen capable PCs (meaning they can play the latest games reasonably), and trust me, playing with 3 people and bots is a lot more satisfying than playing with some random bozo on the net, Marathon also happens to be my favorite network game and that game is from... 1994.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My group of mates have just become re-addicted to Doom's multiplayer. Any PC can run Doom now. my 500mhz P3, my 2ghz P4, my G4, Xbox etc... We're holding a little Doom LAN-athon over Christmas which is going to be excellent.
    What's great is that Doom is old (like Marathon) but when it comes to having a huge LAN multiplayer it's always the game that stands out.