Next-Gen Graphics - Developer Commentary

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

IGN recently posted and interesting article which interviews a couple developers (from Pandemic) to get their comments on next-gen graphics.

IGN: Next-gen Graphics Roundtable

Here are a few highlights I found particularly interesting, especially considering some of the discussion on MR:

Seems like a well listed hierarchy, as evident by killmomz rabid praise of Fumito Ueda; as well as the success of Shigeru Miyamoto. Designers are obviously king, even if many gamers don't readily notice that as much as they should.

Gameplay vs Graphics, they both matter but graphics alone won't necessarily keepy someone playing; gameplay will.

A small bit of developer proof to support what many people thought true all along? Plenty of people on this forum fought about this very subject, specifically in favor of PS3 (Ed H, darkwing, etc etc). Interesting to see some evidence directly from a developer that so far it's unfounded to say that, which was my basic argument all along.

I've often wondered about this myself. People knock Wii for only outputting 480p, yet we've all watched TV and movies on 480p TVs for a long time and even at this "low" resolution we've never seen a game that look as real as a tv/movie that plays at that same resolution.

Seems to me resolution is definitely not the issue there, we can't even do photo-realism at low resolution and we're already moving on. Which is fine, but let's be honest... if a game looked photo-real at 480p, it'd look better then all those games out there that run at 720p/1080i/1080p.

Extra clarity is definitely nice, but it's not necessarily what is going to hold back graphics quality. Wii just my prove that, if a developer really wants to try there really could be Wii games that compete with the graphics quality of 360/PS3. Less power at a lower resolution could get equal results, just with lower fidelity.

Interesting article all around I though, read the whole thing via the link up top, it's 4 pages but actually pretty short.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Read through that article the other day too. Very interesting.

Out of interest what I read that backed up my point i've been making on other threads in relation to multiformat games and exclusive titles being lost because of the cost to produce games and the needed sales to recover costs.

And out of interest when I read this either IGN insider yesterday or the day before the last paragraph

Was slightly different. Its read

But has been subsequently edited.

The importance of this is that when I first read it I thought to myself 'is this the first slip that the game is indeed multiformat' and has lost its PS3 exclusivity.

Especially on the back of the other comment earlier in the post about wanting a game to work on both formats.

I think IGN have slipped a little secret out of the bag (although its has been universally & widly expected) and have edited the last paragraph to cover their little boo boo.

Good article anyway.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm part of a studio that have purchased a Wii kit (though I'm just developing my own things for them, their HQ is in America, me not). Going from independant PC developing to full blown console developing, they don't have that much to spend on kit short of getting a loan. I know it's only semi-related to the topic at hand but they simply can't afford to produce these huge multi-million dollar games right now. Chances are we'll branch off into 360 developing later down the line. Still a fairly new company.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's why the Live marketplace has interested a lot of the smaller developers.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye. But I think the studio are trying to get Nibris/Retro style Nintendo support. I'm kept out of loop of most things being across the pond, but they're trying to become 2nd party devs for the included benefits. god knows what they are mind. All I get nowadays is a design document and a gun pointed at my head with Americans shouting "Make an interface!".

6. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

And hopefully the Wii VC will do....

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed...this is why the other two are following the same path.

Bless

8. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Xbox live arcade limit was just increased to 250MB vs the prior 50mb - Maybe Castlevania SOTN is around the corner

9. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

interesting. I'm not a gamer at all, but when I look at the modern titles out there, they don't seem realistic at all.

I think a large part of it is not the resolution, but the movement. Humans are hard-wired to recognize and automatically imitate (or subconsiously empathize with) human movement. We can tell SOOOOO much from facial expressions, and you can probably tell when your friend is walking down the street just by his gait, way before you can see his features.

Surely someone out there is focusing on these elements of the visual deception. But I've yet to see any human figure move realistically in a video game. In fact, Mario and Zelda are far more convincing (as they are essentially non-human icons) than _anything_ in Madden.

10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I didn't realize football was the normal way people moved. :p

Just kidding. All seriousness aside, there are some devs that I really like, and some that I don't, because of the quality of the games they make. *shrug*

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Fingers crossed :) Thats 800 - 1200 points I'd be willing to spend.

12. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Exactly!

It's because of this fact that, in my opinion, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker was so much more "realistic" than any other Zelda, including Twilight Princess.

Yeah, TP graphics are nice, but you just don't get the emotion out of it that you got with Wind Waker. And I think we're still a long way from naturalistic facial expressions on 3D models.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I feel EXACTLY the same way. :) :)

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Haha. I feel the opposite.

Windwaker was very expressive, but it didn't get the subtlety emotions. It seemed much more extreme. Still I felt a little bad when the ship sailed away, and Links face when he got launched out the cannon. But the expressions really are cartoony extremes IMO. As obvious as the block colour textures.
    TP has a non-realistic art style too (fods and eyebrows), but they seem to get across subtle and extreme. When that big fat bar woman winked at me I laughed, I felt connected to the mayor guy and Links "girlfriend".

Of course most TVs now are showing shows, films and games that have almost eradicated subtlety.

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Totally true. This is part of what sold Shadow of the Colossus as such an experience. The character, horse, and colossi animations were just spectacular.