Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
If their only "hook" is the App Store then no way in hell I am buying this.

$200 will get me a nvidia shield with 4k, and kodi.

$200 will get me 1/3 of the way to a Mac mini

$200 will get me 10 months of basic cable with a hd box, and HBO for a year.

Reactions: justinhu8

Denmac1

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Lost in Space
I think Apple is very good in releasing universal multifunction devices.
Think iPhones: browser, mail client, PDA and phone.
iPod: mp3 player, browser, mail client, PDA
iPad: everything as well.
AppleWatch: medical sensors, email client, watch.

AppleTV was a kind of unifunction device, mostly for streaming TV signals, not being very good at other things.

However, they finally cracked it:

A new AppleTV is:

A home game station ala PS3 (rumored to have similar abilities). With Metal API, it can exceed PS3 in visual graphics (new).
A home entertainment center with AppleMusic (new).
A home energy management center with HomeKit (new).
A home family activities management center (I am thinking of apps for home such as Family Notes, Family Scheduler, Family Calendar),
A TV streamer (as before).
operated through voice and gesture commands (new, Siri and sensor-equipped remote nunchaks).
A home health center (through synergies with Apple Watch) can present number of sports games, and measure physical activities for family members).
A home health information center: some remotes (not sure about new AppleTv remote) can sensor movement in rooms and keep doctors updated about patients movements; with applewatch, doctors through the AppleTV can also receive information package about main health parameters
A home security center: obviously connected with door smart lock, having a possible connection to remote surveillance cameras, sensors on doors and windows, rooms, can inform about possible intrusion and mail or call homeowner about the intercepted movements.
A home security center: with a possible storage backup think Apple Capsule, can record door and windows information and store for 72 hours.
Finally, a home fun place. With big screen, remotes and sensors, Apple developers can create all kinds of engaging and fun games.

If this all costs 149-199 dollars, you can forget about PS or Xbox. Every kid will want AppleTV for Christmas so they can have an online fight of Angry Birds 3 with remote movements! Or races. Or football game. Or fighting with swords online.
Possibilities are endless.

This is a pretty amazing list. Is all this possible? Maybe not with this update, but Steve had mentioned many times about the 'digital hub'. This could be the beginning.
I don't watch much 'network' TV. I mainly use ATV for streaming movies and music. So content, to a point, for me, is not that important. The HomeKit concept intrigues me for central control of many of my household functions.
As i approach my house, I use my :apple:Watch to start either to warm or cool down my home. If it's dark, I could start a sequence of lighting to begin and so on and on....As stared above, the possibilities could be endless. With one command, I could ask Siri to close down the house and prepare for bed.
I would have no issue with paying $200 for this type of functionality.

Alexwastaken

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2015
Minneapolis,MN
The apple user base has really changed, I didn't expect to see people crying about $199. I was expecting to pay $249 for the new apple tv. I see a lot of comments about roku, but roku won't get you into the ecosystem. The ecosystem is the majority of what you're paying for with apple products. Don't forget the first apple tv was over $200 if I'm not mistaken, before the hockey puck came out.

Reactions: V.K. and Izauze

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

AppleTV was a kind of unifunction device, mostly for streaming TV signals, not being very good at other things.

A new AppleTV is:

A home game station ala PS3 (rumored to have similar abilities). With Metal API, it can exceed PS3 in visual graphics (new).
A home entertainment center with AppleMusic (new).
A home energy management center with HomeKit (new).
A home family activities management center (I am thinking of apps for home such as Family Notes, Family Scheduler, Family Calendar),
A TV streamer (as before).
operated through voice and gesture commands (new, Siri and sensor-equipped remote nunchaks).
A home health center (through synergies with Apple Watch) can present number of sports games, and measure physical activities for family members).
A home health information center: some remotes (not sure about new AppleTv remote) can sensor movement in rooms and keep doctors updated about patients movements; with applewatch, doctors through the AppleTV can also receive information package about main health parameters
A home security center: obviously connected with door smart lock, having a possible connection to remote surveillance cameras, sensors on doors and windows, rooms, can inform about possible intrusion and mail or call homeowner about the intercepted movements.
A home security center: with a possible storage backup think Apple Capsule, can record door and windows information and store for 72 hours.
Finally, a home fun place. With big screen, remotes and sensors, Apple developers can create all kinds of engaging and fun games.

If this all costs 149-199 dollars, you can forget about PS or Xbox. Every kid will want AppleTV for Christmas so they can have an online fight of Angry Birds 3 with remote movements! Or races. Or football game. Or fighting with swords online.
Possibilities are endless.
Lmao sorry try again in 10 years.
The only way they are going to be "on par" is of you have a 6" TV. If you think kids will want an atv before a ps4 or xbone then you are dreaming. Especially if you consider angry birds as a hot console game that kids buy.

The new atv in reality wants to compete w all the android TV sticks/boxes out there.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008

If you remembered iPhone before and after the App Store introduction then you'd change your mind.

Mah to Android (just, no), meh to 1/3 Mac Mini (how about the other 2/3) and meh to limited time cable (and after 10 months, what?)

This will be a great little device for the money. Can't wait!

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
The apple user base has really changed, I didn't expect to see people crying about $199. I was expecting to pay $249 for the new apple tv. I see a lot of comments about roku, but roku won't get you into the ecosystem. The ecosystem is the majority of what you're paying for with apple products. Don't forget the first apple tv was over $200 if I'm not mistaken, before the hockey puck came out.

I am also surprised about the reaction of this rumor.

BTW, when I bought the first Apple TV, the retail price was $299. I think that one had only 40Gb, but not bad for back then. The larger 160GB one was $399 I think.

The HD size may be a little off, I can't remember.

Reactions: ErikGrim

mig0

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2012
I think $149 is a high hurdle for this. If the games produced for this device are of sufficient quality, it could compete on that front but it means it needs to have on board storage or something. A $149 "console" with 16gb of ram that's not upgradeable is not going to be competitive and the service needs to be pretty damned good to sway a portion of those roku box owners to use this instead.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008

A new AppleTV is:

A home entertainm……………………………………………...

So does a regular computer. A Mac Mini would do all that and more. What has happened is that they have not provided the same interface for OSX so that they can charge you again for an additional box?
This thing will not rival xBox or PS4 for complex games.

Reactions: mig0

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK

Yes, i remember paying £200 for mine in the UK.... This new one sounds a total bargain!! I'm really excited about this; it's been a very long wait but it'll be amazing to see the ATV finally turn into a serious product rather than a hobby; i would pay this money for an ATV with App Store and full Siri integration; the rest is just a bonus! :) btw i hope Siri is truly integrated in the sense that it's built into the API so developers can use in their apps... I used a friends Amazon Fire TV and the voice control is OS only and does not work from within apps which was a little disappointing. Fingers crossed Apple do it properly.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Yes, i remember paying £200 for mine in the UK.... This new one sounds a total bargain!! I'm really excited about this; it's been a very long wait but it'll be amazing to see the ATV finally turn into a serious product rather than a hobby; i would pay this money for an ATV with App Store and full Siri integration; the rest is just a bonus! :) btw i hope Siri is truly integrated in the sense that it's built into the API so developers can use in their apps... I used a friends Amazon Fire TV and the voice control is OS only and does not work from within apps which was a little disappointing. Fingers crossed Apple do it properly.
It hasn’t been a hobby for a while. That’s marketing speak. Siri hasn’t been beta for ages either.

acuriouslad

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Australia
I hope it includes the A8X not the standard A8. I think it needs future proofing, especially in the case the Apple TV remains a hobby and in my opinion 2GB RAM is now a necessity.
Smart TV interfaces feel clunky because every time you change from one thing to the next it requires loading it all over again, there is no instant switching between apps and this make the whole experience feel like it's an afterthought rather than a feature set. I think a smart interface and an overpowered chip could redefine the experience of navigating and put pressure on other manufacturers to make there designs more responsive rather than just pretty.

Reactions: V.K. and StoneJack

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
So does a regular computer. A Mac Mini would do all that and more. What has happened is that they have not provided the same interface for OSX so that they can charge you again for an additional box?
This thing will not rival xBox or PS4 for complex games.

Yes, the regular computer will do it. However appleTV is a box will costs 1/3 or so of cheapest mac, yet retaining robustness and speed of iOS; having the AppStore; and fairly dedicated to things it does best.

Anything iPad does, can be done by Mac; yet these are different categories. AppleTV may be also a different category because it doesn utilize neither mouse nor touch, but another input system (voice, gestures and special remote).

We'll see how iOS aka AppleTV games may fare as opposed to Xbox or PS. The hardware is there, software (Metal layer) is there too, so all left to developers.

Reactions: V.K.

virduk

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
I might try this.
But it stills requires a device to play something. Unless things have change recently.

What do you do if you want to pause the movie. You are forced to use a device for this, correct?

Correct. A device basically acts as a remote control for the chromecast.

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Not too worried about the updated hardware. Hope they update last rev to work with Apple Music properly.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Yes, the regular computer will do it. However appleTV is a box will costs 1/3 or so of cheapest mac, yet retaining robustness and speed of iOS; having the AppStore; and fairly dedicated to things it does best.

Anything iPad does, can be done by Mac; yet these are different categories. AppleTV may be also a different category because it doesn utilize neither mouse nor touch, but another input system (voice, gestures and special remote).

We'll see how iOS aka AppleTV games may fare as opposed to Xbox or PS. The hardware is there, software (Metal layer) is there too, so all left to developers.

LOL, you’re missing the point. The interface is just software, an extension of the current iTunes interface. It’s this version has been deliberately kept from the Mac for business reasons.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Correct. A device basically acts as a remote control for the chromecast.
Thanks, I have one but only toyed around with it many months ago after getting it on sale.

I didn't know that with Chromecast after playing a movie from Netflix from my phone, you can turn the phone off, or in my case I was thinking of playing a movie for my kids using my phone, then possibly leaving with my phone.

Although, I guess there will be no way to pause the movie unless you have another device. This is the most annoying thing about Chromecast. I like having a remote and a stand-alone system.

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ

Problem with things like Nvidia Shield is they don't sell as well as the other boxe sand support will be dropped sooner than later. It looks like a great box, would like to have KODI but i feel like it is just throwing money away to buy it

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Cord cutters are weird. Or you just like to wait while the stream Is buffering. I will stick to my tried and true cable TV that plays full HD with no buffering, no artifacts, and keeps my bandwidth free for my kids to attempt to watch YouTube videos.

I was like you until we got got Fibre. No buffering and no datacaps here. We do still watch some live non streamed stuff but it is no where near what it used to be.

justinhu8

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
They need a killer feature for this whole thing to work. $199 is a ridiculous markup for the features that we know of so far. I want to see the actual thing before making any further comments on it.

On the streaming service, $40 for 25-ish channels seems a bit high unless it includes HBO where in that case it becomes rather reasonable. Sling is only $20 for 19 cable channels with add on packages for more.

Last edited:

virduk

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
I didn't know that with Chromecast after playing a movie from Netflix from my phone, you can turn the phone off, or in my case I was thinking of playing a movie for my kids using my phone, then possibly leaving with my phone.

Although, I guess there will be no way to pause the movie unless you have another device. This is the most annoying thing about Chromecast. I like having a remote and a stand-alone system.

It does have pluses and minuses. Such as having a software configurable control rather than a fixed set of buttons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.