Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
I have one of the newest Smart TVs and am stunned at how mind-numbingly dumb the thing is.

I have a two week old smart tv too. One of Samsung's full panel 4Ks.
I went into the smart mode to set up amazon prime streaming for the kids, and then never bother to re-hook up apple TV, v3. Reason being that Samsung's system was really quite nice I decided to use it instead (for video streaming)

Keep in mind I really had no intention of using the samsung smart tv at all beyond amazon - I guess it goes to show how thoroughly outdated apple has let their interface get...

I'm really hopeful that Apple steps it up through and impresses me. But they will have to do something really worthwhile. For ATV 1, 2, and 3, I'll admit that I bought just because it was Apple. This time they need to hold their own.

Reactions: lars666

thecb4

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2015
Atlanta, GA
More than likely the new Apple TV will include Metal to drive games. Felt pretty much telegraphed the last two Apple events with metal for iOS and OS X. For driving games, the device will probably come with more RAM (1GB or 2GB?) than HD space (ah la app slicing, bitcode, on-demand resources).

We use a Logitech remote so not necessarily looking forward to having a second remote to have to do anything.

Apple iPod (A8 Processor, 1GB RAM) 8th Generation 16GB = $199. So not surprised if the new price is similar.

Last edited:

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Funny. Each time there's an Apple event they predict this will be released. When it isn't they just predict it will be released at the following event.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Apple already has the biggest gaming ecosystem in the history of time, with unparalleled developer support and an incredible database of existing customers and their credit cards that are one click away from purchasing a game. Sony, Nintendo, Sega or Microsoft can only dream of this situation.

If there is indeed a console/TV gaming market beyond the increasingly niche hardcore market has yet to be proven. But if anyone could capture it, Apple is in the most prime position to do so.

Guess how many users devs can target with apple tv apps? ZERO. Zilch. So the market starts with these 149-199 units because prior apple tvs don't get the app store. If you thought ipad support from developers was bad...

I'm not exactly laying awake in bed fantasizing about playing awful freemium games on my tv that I already avoid like the plague on the other iOS devices.

No 4K. A silly cheap remote given the price. Same UI with same activate each app with cable provider. Crap search/guide because Apple sucks at this. And the dumbest part is the rumored 40 dollar streaming "cable" package that is guaranteed to eat your data up, suck, lack many features compared to directv dvr's, tivo, etc, and be just as expensive.

All I want in an apple tv is solid performance. Better integration with other iOS devices. Improved airplay, photos, itunes integration, apple music. Universal search. 4k. 4k itunes store. Ability for 3rd party 4k streaming apps.

Forget the silly remote with Siri that won't work right half the time. Use a harmony remote. Better yet, Apple should focus on the harmony replacement and let the apple tv be the bonus or built into it so to speak.

Reactions: lexvo and nealh

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
All I want in an apple tv is solid performance. Better integration with other iOS devices. Improved airplay, photos, itunes integration, apple music. Universal search. 4k. 4k itunes store. Ability for 3rd party 4k streaming apps.

I'm expecting most of those will be addressed with the new device. Universal search is key.

Forget the silly remote with Siri that won't work right half the time. Use a harmony remote. Better yet, Apple should focus on the harmony replacement and let the apple tv be the bonus or built into it so to speak.

LOL, you just said "forget the remote", followed by "focus on the remote."

I have Harmony-- it's a bandaid that doesn't address the real problem of which programming is accessible from which source. Solving that requires a cloud based approach. A cloud-based voice solution like Siri is the key to navigating the program access mess.

Reactions: ErikGrim

HappyMBAowner

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2015
Quebec

Apple's fourth-generation Apple TV will be released in October with a starting price of $149 or $199, according to 9to5Mac. The report claims that Apple will also continue selling the third-generation Apple TV for $69 as an entry-level device, although the set-top box is not expected to have support for an App Store or Siri.

Apple-TV-800x403.jpg

The report adds that Apple's much-rumored streaming TV service will be available "as soon as next year" through a software update for both the third-generation and fourth-generation Apple TV. The web-based TV service is expected to deliver a lightweight package of about 25 channels for around $40 per month.

The new Apple TV is rumored to feature a dual-core A8 processor, an App Store with a native SDK for developers, Siri voice control, HomeKit integration, a new user interface and a redesigned remote control with motion sensors, a touchpad on the top, physical buttons on the bottom and a microphone.

Apple is expected to announce the new Apple TV at its September 9th media event.

Article Link: Next-Generation Apple TV Said to Launch in October for $149 or $199
Much too expensive. It costs nothing to manufacture.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
More than likely the new Apple TV will include Metal to drive games. Felt pretty much telegraphed the last two Apple events with metal for iOS and OS X. For driving games, the device will probably come with more RAM (1GB or 2GB?) than HD space (ah la app slicing, bitcode, on-demand resources).

We use a Logitech remote so not necessarily looking forward to having a second remote to have to do anything.

Apple iPod (A8 Processor, 1GB RAM) 8th Generation 16GB = $199. So not surprised if the new price is similar.

Good point. I hope they hit the $149 level though, just easier to swallow to get people on board. It'll be really interesting to see how well an A8 can run a dedicated streaming/gaming device (far fewer power or thermal limitations than an iPhone as well). Still, a certain part of me wants it to be an A9 or A8X :)

Much too expensive. It costs nothing to manufacture.

Worst argument ever. Guess how much Microsoft Office costs to "manufacture"?

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Who is going to waste their money on this? No need for this and I do not want another voice activated system in the house.

I love my DirecTV with all of my local sports channels, HBO, Showtime, free Sunday ticket and a bill less than $60 per month including taxes.

Except you're describing a service package that is nowhere near sustainable with DirecTV. That's the initial honeymoon pricing.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
Good point. I hope they hit the $149 level though, just easier to swallow to get people on board. It'll be really interesting to see how well an A8 can run a dedicated streaming/gaming device (far fewer power or thermal limitations than an iPhone as well). Still, a certain part of me wants it to be an A9 or A8X :)
Worst argument ever. Guess how much Microsoft Office costs to "manufacture"?

Sounds like Apple PR is floating the 199 price so that when they said starting at $149 we will think its a good price.

Assuming Apple wants to sell this thing, my guess
$ 149- 16GB
$ 199 - 32/64GB

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I made the mistake of buying the third-gen Apple TV earlier this year when Apple lowered the price to $69. I'm disappointed to say it rarely gets turned on, and if it does the ONLY thing I use it for is streaming Netflix. I'll wait and see what the 4th-gen model can do before I invest upwards of $200 on it

Why would you even consider an ATV if iTunes content wasn't a primary driver? If you don't want iTunes Store functionality then you buy someone else's loss leader product, or go with Roku's ugly but functional device.

peppespizzapie

Suspended
Jul 5, 2010

Apple's fourth-generation Apple TV will be released in October with a starting price of $149 or $199, according to 9to5Mac.
So AGAIN, presentation on the 9th of things they dont have. Its getting really boring. Make a event when you HAVE something to sell!! And WHO wants the same, for more then double the price??
When does apple wake up? 4K??? Nooooo, when the rest of the world hits 8K Apple will come with 4K, as always behind (since Steve died)

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Sounds like Apple PR is floating the 199 price so that when they said starting at $149 we will think its a good price.

Assuming Apple wants to sell this thing, my guess
$ 149- 16GB
$ 199 - 32/64GB

A while back, I thought that if they made some kind of app centric Apple TV, you could possibly "stream" apps from your computer similar to the way music/movies are cached and streamed. But we're in a much less PC centric (in terms of hub) world now so maybe lots of local storage makes more sense. Maybe you'll still be able to optionally sync apps to it with iTunes similar to the mobile iOS stuff so you can swap larger games in and out without much penalty.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
But you still need your phone to control it. From my experience if you close the app you are using it is a nightmare to pause, rewind, etc. it's very different from streaming boxes on the market and there is a reason it's so cheap.

Yeah no way I could ever train the family to use Chromecast. It's really a prime example of wife unfriendly.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
The Netflix interface is by far the worst implementation of all the players out there, this should've been updated years ago. It would be nice to see them make regular updates, it's like they just released and left it as is for years with no changes.

virduk

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah no way I could ever train the family to use Chromecast. It's really a prime example of wife unfriendly.

Which is kind of funny. I mean I imagine peoples familiarity with phone interfaces and the apps probably was looked on as a positive and not a negative.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The apple user base has really changed, I didn't expect to see people crying about $199. I was expecting to pay $249 for the new apple tv. I see a lot of comments about roku, but roku won't get you into the ecosystem. The ecosystem is the majority of what you're paying for with apple products. Don't forget the first apple tv was over $200 if I'm not mistaken, before the hockey puck came out.
The landscape has changes since the first Apple TV was released. The Roku didn't even exist then. I suspect that those who have stuck with Apple TV this long will most likely find enough in this next gen to upgrade. Those who have held out any streaming device may be drawn to it. For the rest of us, I doubt there's enough to warrant a purchase.

The "ecosystem" consists of a limited number of channels, iTunes music and video. iTunes media is available to the Roku via Plex. I don't know of any channels that are AppleTV exclusive.

If by ecosystem you mean apps, then it is yet to be determined if iOS apps will be available for the ATV.

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
I might try this.
But it stills requires a device to play something. Unless things have change recently.

What do you do if you want to pause the movie. You are forced to use a device for this, correct?
This part is true. You still need a device (phone/tablet/computer) to 'activate' the content or play/pause/rewind. However, the thinking on that is anyone who buys a Chromecast already owns a smartphone or one of those other devices. Using a device you already own as the remote cuts down on the clutter of having remotes for every device in one's media or living room.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
The user inter face on the Xbox One is fine , and its getting windows 10 in november which should make it even better.

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
I've been with Apple for just about a year, (technically 8 months) and I'm learning more about their products. Anyways, I'm sort of intrigued by this new Apple TV, well new to me and I promised I skimmed enough pages and comments, but I couldn't find the one thing I was looking for,

Will this have Facetime?

ps, I have different sources that I use for my streaming like my PS4, but I'm just looking to have another option in the house. But the Facetime on the new AppleTV would be nice to have especially for when I'm out and about and my family is at home. I'm the only one with a IPhone so I figured this AppleTV would be good to have to use Facetime with, if that is a way to use it, hopefully its not linked to my phone only. Again, hoping there is Facetime

**Update I just thought about it, I might just by a cheaper iPhone model off contract and just use Facetime that way under WiFi. Reading more about the AppleTV, seems more expensive. Oh well.

Last edited:

Misaki

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
Well I think your pricing model is a little skewed. I pay $55 for my cell phone (4gb and rollover data) and $51 for internet only (24 mbps connect with verse). The internet is my out the door price (taxes, fees, and equipment). I think the phone charges me $1 in taxes.

It doesn't help when the websites advertise the bundle price as "half price" for 3 months or on a contract. So you can't just compare everyone in your area, they all charge the same without municipal fiber competing. There's very few areas in the US where there is competition, and fewer still in Canada. You have to be in SF in California, or NYC in the US to even get a third option most of the time. If you live in a condo building built AFTER 2005 you might even have fiber in the building.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.