Next Generation Intel Platform (Santa Rosa) Tracking For May

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 25, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

TG Daily reports that Intel's next generation mobile platform, code-named Santa Rosa, is currently tracking for a May release.

The platform will feature many improvements over today's incarnation found in the iMac, MacBook, and MacBook Pro. While the processor will remain of the Core 2 Duo "Merom" variety and will top out at 2.4 GHz, the front side bus speed will be increased to 800 MHz.

Also, systems that use integrated graphics (MacBook, Mac Mini) will stand to see a big boost from Intel's latest graphics technology. The GMA X3000 will implement several important graphics features in hardware and support pixel and vertex shader models 3.0, whereas GMA 950 only supports pixel shader model 2.0. This improvement will no doubt be a boost for casual gamers and for Apple's desire to include even more impressive visual effects in their systems.

Lastly, Santa Rosa will feature Intel's flash caching technology, code-named Robson. The technology should bring better system performance, especially in the areas of battery life, system startup, and access of frequently used applications.

2. macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I think the part I find most interesting is that the mac mini and macbook are getting Pixel shader model 3.0. Hopefully we can start getting some games for the Mac platform.

P-Worm

3. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yep, I'll be getting a MacBook with an x3000 and Leopard this may, can't wait!:D

4. macrumors 6502a

Mydel

So there are decent chances we will see updated MBP by the end of June. Cool!! I cant wait to get new one:D

5. macrumors member

FINALLY -

This is what I have been waiting for from INTEL!

Hey Steve (J) - You're on top of this, right?

Ultimatetone

6. macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Figures, I decide to order an iMac and they go and update the chips :)
    At least the mini is getting an update. My gf will love to hear that!

7. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sounds like possibly also DirectX 10 in Vista, should people be so inclined. Hopefully we'll see this roll out quickly to the MacBook and Mini, alongside a C2D update in the Mini.

For the others, it does still sounds like this will mean a small bump in speed by virtue of the FSB and so on. I wonder if any of them will allow for simultaneous use of both their ATI/etc graphics chipset and their Intel one, as some of the Windows computers do?

Also, I wonder if Apple still plans to not use Robson caching?

8. macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

now we just need apple to stay right up to speed with intel.

9. macrumors 6502a

Vidd

This is exactly what I'm waiting for along with Leopard.
    I'm wondering though based on the very low upgrade to Merom, how quickly Apple will put Santa Rosa into its lower end laptops.

10. macrumors 68020

11. macrumors regular

I'm hoping very soon, as that's what I'm waiting for before i buy a MacBook.

12. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Hopefully soon. All the bad PR Apple gets about the MacBook is a lack of a read GPU. The x3000 (while not nVidia or ATI) is such a huge step up that it would stop most of the bitching people do, solving the PR problem. I think it'll happen fast.

And it'll give the MBP a longer battery life, so it'll probably happen there fast too!

Me too

13. macrumors 68040

Grimace

Right, but Apple rarely has the latest and greatest available immediately. I'd say we'll have a month or two of "Where is my Santa Rosa machine?" threads. :rolleyes:

14. macrumors 6502

15. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

16. macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Maybe I am wrong (so do not throw too much flak at me then), but wasn't :apple: one of the first to implement C2D chip in a laptop?

17. macrumors 6502a

Mydel

You wrong :p

18. macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Oh my! I guess I'd have to get myself drunk now, just to drown my blues :p

19. macrumors regular

Personally, I'm more keen about the fact that the X3000 supports dual independent displays.

20. macrumors regular

While this is great news, it's the "on track for May" that's new. This chip has been talked about for a few months now.

21. macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Yup. Me too. I figured there was some hardware upgrade in the works that would release in conjunction with Leopard and it looks like that's exactly what's going to happen.

22. macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does that mean?

23. macrumors 603

Rocketman

Isn't one of the several benefits the ability to address more than 3.0GB of memory? And a "true" 64 bit bus rather than parts 64 and parts 32?

Rocketman

24. macrumors 601

Umbongo

Being that in all likely hood Apple's whole line except the Mac Pro will be based on this platform, I'd expect a reasonably quick rollout. Apple will have been working with this for a while developing the next line of products.

25. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It'll support two monitors outside of the onboard LCD.

Correct. It'll be a pain with only two memory sockets though.

The 965 (Santa Rosa) is the latest update over the current 945 (Napa) platform. Everything but the Mac Pro uses 945 right now. So expect all the lines to be upgraded to the Santa Rosa platform except the Mac Pro.

That is unless Apple makes some changes to the other lines...

No more running 3D games in software emulation mode for transform and lighting. In essence it makes the Intel integrated graphics card much more like REAL video cards have been since 2001.