Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
GMA 950 has a 3 digit number. GMA x3000 has a killer sounding 4 digit number with the hip prefix "x". That is almost 316% better! Then you add on the prefix and another syllable, and there you have it, clearly better.

According to Wikipedia there's also a GMA3000 so the x prefix isn't just for presentation.

Di9it8

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
If Apple are upping the MB, then the MBPs will need to be improved to keep the premium price. There must be some other advances yet unstated?:D

Mr Mac Newbie

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2007
London, England
Expect a graphics card update though. If you're not looking to game then the current model is fine. At least get the 256 MB upgrade for the 20" model or the 7600GT on the 24" model.

I honestly expect to see an ATi Mobility X26xxx or Geforce Go 83xx/86xx card in the new models.

The processor speed difference isn't much.

I don't intend to play games on my mac. I have an xbox 360 to do that :cool: But i was going to get 256mb GPU anyway just in case

Chris14

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2006
Hamilton, NZ
hmmm Just a thought

So... will this new processor be the same pin type etc as Core 2 Duo?
Would it then be possible to swap out the processor in iMacs,Minis,Macbooks etc to the new processor?

Just a thought

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Would it then be possible to swap out the processor in iMacs,Minis,Macbooks etc to the new processor?

Just a thought

that would be a negative it has a whole new board, besides the processor isn't the leap, the board and the graphics card are.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

Just a thought

that would be a negative it has a whole new board, besides the processor isn't the leap, the board and the graphics card are.

To take it a step farther, the CPU will be the same, just with a minor speed bump.. nothing like the Core to Core 2 switch

Rocketman

macrumors 603
So how long to you think I will need to wait to get a new 24in imac with this new tech.????:confused:

One thing we DO know is the iMac will be the FIRST to get it since it is not a soldered chip motherboard and because Steve loves the iMac. The soldered chip MacBookPro is likely to take 4+ weeks longer than the iMac.

So if it (Santa Rosa + C2D next-gen) is scheduled to be released in May 2007, we could easily see a WWDC-07 iMac release with the new chips and some added wireless kit.

I for one will be looking for the iMac C2Q version to be announced. It will address the market for folks who want a mid-tower MacPro, so long as they are willing to use an external expansion mid-tower :)

Rocketman

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
64-bit memory addressing

So, my current C2D MBP isn't actually true 64 bit, despite what Apple has been saying?

It is a 64-bit CPU but the memory controller on the current models only addresses 32-bit memory (ie. up to 4GB but due to some quirk of how memory is addressed it maxes at 3GB). The 64-bit memory addressing on the Santa Rosa would, in theory of course, allow a MacBook/MacBook Pro/iMac/Mac Mini to have 4GB, 8GB, 16GB ... of RAM. In theory, because you still need to have the right number of RAM slots to support that much memory.

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
More about the chipset than the CPU

To take it a step farther, the CPU will be the same, just with a minor speed bump.. nothing like the Core to Core 2 switch

Santa Rosa is more about the chipset supporting the CPU than it is about the CPU itself. The chipset will feature 802.11n wireless, DDR2-800 memory and FSB800 (so the current 2.33GHz CPU would be able to run at 2.4GHz, etc.).

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
In theory, it means (assuming that I'm interpreting the specs properly) that something like the Mac Mini could support dual displays using the onboard graphics...presumably depends entirely on the implementation, but at least it's possible.

(...I may be in the minority, but I'd love a dual-display-capable Mini)

If they release a dual-monitor capable Mac Mini, then I won't be purchasing an iMac later this summer.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

Just a thought
It is going to use Socket P which is NOT compatible with the current Socket M (Core Duo/Core 2 Duo "Merom")

It is a 64-bit CPU but the memory controller on the current models only addresses 32-bit memory (ie. up to 4GB but due to some quirk of how memory is addressed it maxes at 3GB). The 64-bit memory addressing on the Santa Rosa would, in theory of course, allow a MacBook/MacBook Pro/iMac/Mac Mini to have 4GB, 8GB, 16GB ... of RAM. In theory, because you still need to have the right number of RAM slots to support that much memory.
The 945 chipset can only address 4 GB of RAM. Once you take into account video RAM and system RAM you get a lot less then 4 GB of addressing space available for system RAM only.

Cult Follower

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2007
North Dakota
I really hope they don't make leopard's graphics reliant on this new graphics chip. I have a core duo macbook and want to run leopard without any downgrades.

mrthieme

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
Why are some assuming this means no major hardware changes? I have nothing to support it, but have been under the impression that 2007 will bring alot of changes in the mac lineup.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I really hope they don't make leopard's graphics reliant on this new graphics chip. I have a core duo macbook and want to run leopard without any downgrades.

Amen to that. But even the new Macbooks and Mac Minis have the sane graphics chip. Apple can't cripple the OS on those things, it would totally piss off switchers.

The Leopard Builds run fine on my Macbook (see sig). Core animation is not like OpenGL or DirectX, it's just an API that makes it easier to implement those cool transitions and animations like Expose and the contact list in iChat. And those already worked fine in Panther.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
(ie. up to 4GB but due to some quirk of how memory is addressed it maxes at 3GB)..
It isn't a quirk but an intentional design decision that Intel made. Basically part of the 32 bit physical addressing window is utilized to provide data exchange between PCIe devices, communicate with the south bridge, communicate with integrated video (if it is used), etc. This simplifies the hardware for devices that generally don't need that much physical memory.

The amount of memory used for device IO is configurable by the hardware vendor (and OS) and Apple defaulted to grabe the upper 1 GiB for this purpose (possible less... never looked at the config registers to know exactly).

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
The 945 chipset can only address 4 GB of RAM. Once you take into account video RAM and system RAM you get a lot less then 4 GB of addressing space available for system RAM only.
This is mischaracterization of why Apple's 945 based systems can only address 3 GiB (different vendors can have different limits for this). It isn't that the physical RAM is set aside it is that the address space is used to map device IO.

Pooldraft

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2004
HDDVD/BlueRay

I hope this means that a mini can now support HD drives with the new GPU. Lame ass integrated graphics kill the mac mini in terms of home theater. When I say HD I mean real HD not that wannabee crap(720p) but FULL 1080P. We shall see. **** iTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.