Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
they will lose so many customers if they keep releasing ipads every 5-6 months until now you knew your device would atleast be the newest for atleast 1 year.... now this just sucks

Nonsense. I skip every other generation of iPhone as the S releases aren't compelling reasons to buy every time and I'm still a very happy Apple customer.

The rest of the marketplace is releasing in 6 month intervals, Apple adopting the same strategy won't lose them customers at all, some customers may delay purchasing longer, some customers may purchase more, and new customers will be attracted by a more rapidly growing feature set.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
I heard the very same thing last year before the retina ipad launched. Bookmark this comment so we can laugh at this guy when it happens.

Have you seen how thick the retina iPad is? And they did not make it thinner when they updated to the 4. It's not going to happen if they want to keep it the same thickness. Remember, it will have the same number of pixels as the iPad 4 when it happens.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Truth be told, although the retina screen is nice and it's snappier... the benefits were not worth the loss I took. Granted, I'm glad I don't have to maintain two sets of cables etc. but all the reviewers and Apple sites like this one who just went on raving and raving about how much better the new one was... were just blowing Apple's marketing smoke.

I've been a bit worried of this happening to me as well, not really caring or noticing that big of a difference from my 2. I really feel like the 2nd was the best one to get, 3rd got heavier and gets hot on the back, 4 is the same. I always love when people make ridiculous statements like "the Mini screen is awful" haha like it's really THAT obvious the difference.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
There have, however, been growing rumors of shorter update cycles being part of a new strategy for Apple as it seeks to remain competitive in the fast-moving mobile device market and smooth out its sales somewhat throughout the year.
[/url]

IMO, shorter updates may have a negative impact on iPad users, because:
1) iPads would depreciate much faster, lose value quickly!

2) Users would become frustrated to see their new iPad has quickly become old news.

3) Apple may lose focus on the quality of their products due to the need to rush it out for sale. Less time for R&D, testing, quality control, etc.

I don't think Apple has to worry about competition even at this time, as long as it has total focus of their goals with the iPad, and make sure to alway provide their users what they need.

And just in case this rumor is true, I'll start saving some money for it! Heheh! :D

Dicx

Contributor
Jan 10, 2006
$$$$

They need something to introduce for that 2nd qtr. Once you realize that Apple is all about the stock price now and screw Q&A, all of these hasty releases makes sense.

jon9091

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
As long as they are updating every 3 months....I think it's time to ditch the Lightning connector too. It's had it's time. Next. :D

----------

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
I just bought a iPad 4 yesterday, and really I don't understand peoples complaining.

I mean, eventually the iPad 5 won't be the last thing. It's just technology.

the real problem was with the iPad 1 who was really lacking RAM and processing power for future iOS updates. iPad 2 which is still on sale remain decent, and iPad 3 & 4 have enough for a long support run.

Apart from being thinner and lighter, iPad 5 will offer an experience virtually identical to iPad 4 in the sense that they will both be able to run easily iOS 6 and eventually iOS 7-8 and most likely 9 at least.

Slackula

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2003
It will be exactly the same as when you bought it. If your decision was based entirely on wanting to be the one with the newest iPad, you will be disappointed.

Think of an iPad like a spouse. You can get a new one each time you see a better one come along, but it won't necessarily make your life any happier.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

If the ipad 5 is thinner and lighter than my ipad 3 and faster to charge I will buy. If the mini has retina display it will piss me off but I will replace my wifes mini if I can get a good used price on her current mini.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Another one who can not do without the latest!

If the 4th gen iPad won't be outdated in March why do they need to release a 5th gen so soon? So the form factor is the same as the mini? Something they apparently couldn't do in October but now will be able to do in March?

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
As long as they don't block older devices from updating to the latest OS for some BS reason. Go ahead speed of the release schedule for devices.

TG85

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Why would you buy the mini without the retina display? That's your own fault for not thinking about that. I wouldn't buy an apple product without the retina.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I've been a bit worried of this happening to me as well, not really caring or noticing that big of a difference from my 2. I really feel like the 2nd was the best one to get, 3rd got heavier and gets hot on the back, 4 is the same. I always love when people make ridiculous statements like "the Mini screen is awful" haha like it's really THAT obvious the difference.

LOL, some people talk stuff they don't really know or understand.
Being the iPad Mini display smaller in size while retaining the same resolution as the iPad 2, it's actually a better display for having a higher pixel density.

IMO, I did like the iPad Mini, but I always say it's not for me. I like the size of the regular iPad.

And most of us can't upgrade every year, much less every 6 moths, so every time I upgrade, there have to be enough reasons to make the upgrade price worth it.

You did well by staying with the iPad 2. In my case, I had the iPad 1 and it was starting to become slow for me, reason why I got the iPad 3 as soon as it came out. Imagine how frustrated I got when a few months later the iPad 4 came out!

Sound214

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
Sweden
I highly doubt Apple will update it's iPad lineup every six month. Sure, they may this time, but I'm quite certain last update was just to keep it consistent with the iPhone and the Mini by equipping it with lightning. To clarify: don't expect an update this fall.

greg78x

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
So Cal
Would you cut it out, Apple? Wait a ****ing little while. :apple:

Problem is, the mini display was outdated from day one! I demoed one at the Apple store and the resolution made it feel as though the device was a couple years old (even though the design looks like it is from the future!).

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
There just milking people for there money i have just got my ipad 4 about 6 weeks ago and now its going to be outdated by apples new ipads its just getting to much and to stupid to keep realising new ipads with out any major change so what ipad 4 is twice as fast as ipad 3 it doesnt matter no app uses all of the ipad 4 processor power.

So you buy products just to have the latest version? Not for the enjoyment the device gives you or how it expands your life or helps you?

Seriously I'm just sitting here with my iPad 2 happy as larry not even thinking about upgrading it because it just works. If anything the only reason I'd ever upgrade my iPad is when a new iOS release comes out that doesn't support my iPad.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
they will lose so many customers if they keep releasing ipads every 5-6 months until now you knew your device would atleast be the newest for atleast 1 year.... now this just sucks

I know! I just hate it when that happens! The fact that when Apple releases a new iPad the one you currently own immediately stops working is really troublesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.