Next-Generation iPad Mini Rear Shell Appears Again in New Photos

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 26, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

A new set of images that appear to show the rear shell for the rumored second-generation iPad mini have been posted by Sonny Dickson. Although no additional information was posted alongside the pictures, it unsurprisingly appears that the new iPad mini will have a form factor almost identical to the present model, confirming previous rumors that the upgrade will be mainly incremental in nature with the potential exception of a new Retina display.

The shell displays no information apart from the embedded Apple logo, which differs from the current model where the logo is printed directly onto the exterior of the case. The images are very similar to ones that leaked in early August, but it appears that the logo shown here may actually be silver instead what was thought to be black on the original photo set. Given the mirrored finish of the Apple logo on the iPad mini, it may appear silver or black from various viewing angles.

The new photos also unsurprisingly indicate that the second-generation iPad mini will be available in both Wi-Fi and cellular models, as this particular part includes the plastic strip at the top where the cellular antenna is housed.

The second-generation iPad mini is expected to feature a Retina display and launch during the fourth quarter of this year. Apple is also expected to release an updated full-size iPad around the same time, with the new iPad taking design cues from the iPad mini by including narrower side bezels and a thinner, more rounded shell.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPad Mini Rear Shell Appears Again in New Photos
  2. macrumors 65816

Oct 5, 2011
    San Francisco, California
    Do we know if this is back plate is looking a little thicker to accomodate a larger battery for powering the Retina screen?
    (Similar to the thickness increase of the iPad 2 to iPad 3)
  3. macrumors 6502

Jun 26, 2013
    why is that looking like plastic:(, i'm worried. i hope it offers the retina display this time.
  4. macrumors member

Jul 4, 2004
    Um, the plastic look probably has something to do with the plastic wrap the shell is in...
  5. macrumors newbie

Jun 28, 2013
    To protect the shell temporarily perhaps?
  6. macrumors 603

Oct 13, 2008
    Everywhere And Nowhere
  7. macrumors 68000

Apr 11, 2013
    Washington D.C.
  8. macrumors G5

Nov 14, 2007
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Have you thought that Retina isn't feasible right now?
  9. macrumors 6502

May 3, 2011
    Upper Midwest
    When can I buy that red stand I keep seeing and what other colors does it come in? :p
  10. macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

Mar 24, 2002
    Baltimore & NYC
    I SURE HOPE the new iPad mini is a) retina and b) still fits in the awesome Logitech Ultrathin Bluetooth keyboard case I own for my current 1st-gen mini. If both of the above are true, I will buy one without question. If the new one is retina but doesn't fit in the case, I will consider it. If it's neither retina nor fits in my bluetooth keyboard case, I don't think I'm going to feel compelled to purchase. And admittedly, considering I tend to buy every new iOS device the day they're released, that will be saying something.
  11. macrumors regular

Jul 27, 2013
    Glowing apple

Full size ipad has the apple showing inside the shell..
    I hope there will be an apple shining with light :))
  12. macrumors 6502

Feb 21, 2011
    Tell that to the 2nd generation Nexus 7.
  13. macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Mar 9, 2008
  14. macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2009
    See you at the funeral.
  15. macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2012
    I'm afraid the first Retina Mini will be as a failure as the iPad 3 was and they'll have to introduce the iPad Mini 3 in March.
  16. macrumors 68000

Apr 11, 2013
    Washington D.C.
    What do you think makes retina not "feasible" right now?

Google made it "feasible" for the Nexus 7 to have to a 1080p display, in a much cheaper tablet.

(Speaking of competition here, not Apple's tactics vs. Google's)
  17. macrumors 604

Mar 26, 2008
    who would buy this if its still non retina? no new design, no retina just slightly faster. see no selling point or marketing advantage without one

basically the same thing as one year ago
  18. macrumors 6502

Feb 12, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    Apples and oranges (no pun intended).

Apple needs to make 15-20 times as many Mini's as Google does the Nexus 7. As a matter of fact, Apple will need more launch week Mini's than Google will EVER make of the Nexus 7 (or at least for the first 4-6 months of the Nexus lifecycle).

You do not understand the issues surrounding the quantity Apple needs. There is no comparison.

It will be retina - and a higher density than the Nexus, but give them a break for not doing it sooner.
  19. macrumors newbie

Aug 26, 2013
    Finally Confirmed

I would've been heartbroken if they changed the size.

I've been waiting for Otterbox (who bought Lifeproof) to come out with a "nud" iPad mini case or an Otterbox Armor case. Either way, hopefully we can expect some good new cases that will be backwards compatible with the existing hardware.
  20. macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2013
    Must be the odd angle or the picture or something but I could swear that looks like a full-sized rather than a mini.
  21. macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    South Pole
    I like the idea of having a faster SOC and retina screen, but I love the current mini's crazy battery life and super fast charging. I think you would lose some of the battery life and unless it comes witha 20 watt charger probably the fast charging too.

For $275 (the price for a new 16 GB here in Canada at Futureshop ($300-$25 if you checkout with Paypal, free shipping) I think the 1st gen is pretty good. I was going to buy the new N7 but for $50 more I think Apple's value proposition is better.

IMO the app store and compatibility with iTunes content I have makes the mini a better deal even for more money and lower specs.
  22. macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2010
    embedded Apple logo+Retina Display=Yes Please. ;)
  23. macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2011
    Just like how the 3GS, 4S, and soon 5S were mere hardware upgrades to their predecessor? If the Mini doesn't have retina, they'll find a way to spin the hardware upgrades into "amazing" and "magical" must-have features.
  24. macrumors 6502

Feb 12, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    I wish you could vote down a post here. This is BS.

I'm using my launch day ipad 3 now and it has been much better than my iPad 1 or 2. You are totally exaggerating to just be a pain in the axx or you don't know what you are talking about.
  25. macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2013