Next-Generation iPad Mini Rear Shell Surfaces in 'Space Gray'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 18, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following Apple's introduction of a new "Space Gray" color to replace the slate color previously used on the iPhone 5 and the company's iPod lineup, many have wondered whether the iPad and iPad mini will be making similar color transitions when they are updated in the near future.

Photos of alleged next-generation iPad mini rear shells have leaked several times over the past several months, but all of the parts have been of the silver variety that is paired with a white front panel in current models.

[​IMG]
    But now Japanese parts retailer Moumantai has begun selling a space gray version of the part (via Nowhereelse.fr), suggesting that the new color will indeed replace the slate color seen on the original iPad mini.

[​IMG]
    A somewhat sketchy report from C Technology yesterday [Google Translate] had claimed that the next iPad mini will be coming in the current silver/white and new space gray color options, and today's photos support that claim.

The report also claimed that the full-size iPad will be arriving in the same three colors seen on the iPhone 5s: space gray/black, gold/white, and silver/white. Nearly all of the recent fifth-generation iPad shell leaks have been of the silver variety, but the very first leak back in January showed the part in the slate color used on the iPhone 5 and current iPad mini. It is certainly possible, however, that Apple altered its plans after that point and opted to shift all of its planned slate-colored products to the new space gray.

Apple is expected to update its iPad lineup within the next several months, most likely at a media event scheduled for as soon as next month in order to ensure the new models hit the market in time for the holiday shopping season. Much of Apple's Mac lineup is also due for updates, suggesting that the company may yet have a slew of product releases coming once interest in the upcoming iPhone 5s/5c launch begins to ebb.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPad Mini Rear Shell Surfaces in 'Space Gray'

2. macrumors 6502

Isn't it too gray? The original silver looks better to me.

3. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

apple sure is pushing "space grey" must be the easiest to manufacture.

4. macrumors 65816

Tankmaze

that is actually look very good. very sleek.

5. macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

looks good.

6. macrumors 68030

BvizioN

Any chance of iPad 5C?

7. macrumors regular

Would need to see it in person, but I personally like the aluminum better. I wonder if the aluminum products will be moving to space gray?

8. macrumors 6502a

Hexiii

It will replace the black, not the white one.

9. macrumors member

looks boring

10. macrumors regular

pauliaK

Space, interstellar, intergalactic or whatever as long as it's not silver would do!

11. macrumors regular

Re:

iPad Mini RETINA PLEASE!

12. macrumors member

This is revolutionary. #nohate

13. macrumors member

naeS1Sean

Awesome. I love the style of MacRumors, but once again...I read this on 9to5Mac and Cult of Mac hours ago... :(

14. macrumors 6502

BruceEBonus

Don't argue. Buy! Buy! Buy! They're new. That's reason enough to purchase. Space Grey? Sounds great! And if there's any other new features in em then double bonus! Two thumbs up!

15. macrumors member

#MagicalStopHating

16. macrumors 6502

Are these colors achieved by a different process or is it similar to iphone5 slate color, which wears off easily. It would've been better if they used metal having that color instead of painting aluminum, as paints wear off from anything applied on.

17. Eduardo1971, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Very nice looking indeed! Looking forward to the next several weeks (yet, again).

On a separate note, it blows that the speakers are still in their portrait orientation. Boo!

18. macrumors member

Gold iPad 5? Sign me up!

19. macrumors 68020

Don't care as much what the BACK looks like.... more care what I'll see on the FRONT!!!

20. macrumors 65816

I think it's physically impossible for anything to be "too gray."

It's like being extremely neutral.

21. macrumors 68020

Anodization can be done in various levels of "hardness" and natural grey is one of the harder ones. It's usually more of an olive color though so Apple might have chosen "space grey" for other reasons.

22. macrumors 6502a

Commy1

No Gold?! It won't match my iPhone D: What will the fashion police say

23. macrumors regular

I'll be honest, I stick with MacRumors because I really, really dislike 9to5Mac's web-site. It's horrible to look at. So I have accepted getting news a little later.

24. macrumors 6502a

BornAgainApple

I envision Apple renaming future 9.7" iPads "iPad Pro" and upscale iPhones (i.e. 5S) as iPhone Pro. Just a hunch.

25. macrumors 601

dannyyankou

Looks beautiful. Hope it comes in retina.