Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

511.png

iOS 5.1 Beta seems to be a treasure trove of product ids with the exposure of the iPad 2,4 and the J33 codename for the next generation Apple TV. The latest part number to come from iOS 5.1 is the iPhone 5,1 as noted by both @FilippoBiga and 9to5Mac.

The progression of iPhone product numbers are as follows:

iPhone1,1 - Original iPhone
iPhone1,2 - iPhone 3G
iPhone2,1 - iPhone 3GS
iPhone3,1 - iPhone 4
iPhone4,1 - iPhone 4S

iPhone5,1 clearly represents the next generation iPhone that Apple is working on. Rumors have suggested the next iPhone will carry a 4" screen rather than the usual 3.5" screen found in all previous iPhone models. The new iPhone is also believed to have been prototyped with a tapering design in the past, though the most recent rumors suggest the actual release iPhone will not resemble the mockups.

The iPad3,2 reference has been previously seen though iPad3,3 appears new.

Article Link: Next Generation iPhone (5,1) and iPad Also Referenced in iOS 5.1 Beta

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Have a feeling this one's coming sooner rather than later.

Steve Jobs.

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
So honestly, did anyone really doubt that Apple is working on a next-gen iphone?

Did you guys think they were just gonna chill and not release phones for a while?

This is kind of a no-brainer to me. Unless the model's inclusion in the iOS frameworks signifies something....in which case please enlighten me.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
So it's really a total redesign.

Looking forward to it while enjoying my iPhone 4S.

maxp1

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2005
This is such a non-story. Really not sure why it was posted. Get back to us when a plist file references a product that we don't know is coming.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
This is such a non-story. Really not sure why it was posted. Get back to us when a plist file references a product that we don't know is coming.

Wise up...there can't be a Spring with out a robin harbingering it.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Good thing i'll be on sites like Macrumors, so i can sell my temporary phone, the iPhone 4S early enough to get a good price. :D

Absolutely can't wait for the iPhone 6 (calling it the 6, because it's the 6th gen iPhone, until it's official name).

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Now we just have to wait until somebody at Apple changes the buildscript to inject adapted hardware identification strings in each build.

"OMG, they're going to release a new version of the 3GS"
"They are already working on 3 versions of the iPad 4"

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
why would there be code for the next iPhone?
in iOS 5.1?
i would think it would only show up towards the end of the iOS 5, just before iOS6 betas

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
why would there be code for the next iPhone?
in iOS 5.1?
i would think it would only show up towards the end of the iOS 5, just before iOS6 betas

As a someone mentioned on a post before, it could there's a good possibility that the next generation iPhone & iOS software could be released earlier than anticipated.

Meaning, Apple may announce iOS 6 in March and the next iPhone in summer. Again, this is speculation.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So honestly, did anyone really doubt that Apple is working on a next-gen iphone?

Of course no one would question the fact Apple would Be working on the iPhone 5. It's just that with a 16 month gap between the iPhone 4 and 4S it's looking like the next version may come much quicker than expected with reference to it in software, and news of 4" panels being shipped to Apple.

People who have just upgraded to the 4s - may have there nose put out of joint if the iPhone 5 (the real update most wished the 4s actually was) comes out within 6-8 months of the 4s release....

At least with a 12 month product cycle customers know where they stand, but changing that to a 16 month, and now possibly 8 month - it leaves customers weary and frustrated. One of the best things about Apples iPhones over say android is that you knew your 'flagship model' would last you a reasonable amount of time. It was an assurance as such (unlike Android where even the new Galaxy Nexus will prob be usurped within 3 months).

----------

what is iPhone4,2?

Verizon iPhone 4S

----------

5" screen please.

After using a Galaxy Nexus and a HTC Titan in the past month.... all I can say is NO :)

TUD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Hopefully it will be superior to my flaming POS 4S? My 3GS was a rock for 2.5 years.

1goodidea

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quick. Please release, it's been 3 weeks since my last Apple purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.