Next-Generation iPhone Rumored to Adopt Thinner and Improved Front and Rear Cameras

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 6, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In a new research note, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reports that Apple will be making significant improvements to both front and rear cameras on the next-generation iPhone, advances driven by a desire to decrease the thickness of the device and to improve compatibility with a new 16:9 display.

According to Kuo, the rear camera on the iPhone will remain at 8 megapixels, but the aperture will be increased from f/2.4 to f/2.2 in order to reduce camera module height by nearly 0.5 mm.
    [​IMG]

As for the front-facing camera, Kuo argues that Apple's move to a 16:9 display will drive a significant boost to HD quality for the front camera. HD offers the same 16:9 aspect ratio as the new display, as opposed to the 4:3 aspect ratio of the current VGA-quality FaceTime camera, and Apple will likely want to take full advantage of the device's new screen. In addition, moving the FaceTime camera to above the earpiece will allow for more centered images, improving the user experience.

The report also indicates that Apple is adopting flip-chip packing for the new front-facing camera, a process that will result in a thinner assembly and simplify lens production by moving the blue glass filter to the camera module itself.

Kuo has offered accurate information on a number of occasions in the past, relying on sources within Apple's supply chain to piece together Apple's product plans.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone Rumored to Adopt Thinner and Improved Front and Rear Cameras

2. macrumors newbie

CRIPES! The iPhone 4S is the iPhone 5! How freakin' stupid are some people?!

3. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Please no, the iPhone 4S is the right thickness to feel comfortable. Any thinner and it'll just be uncomfortable like the iPod Touch....

4. macrumors member

I have a pretty good feeling the very next iPhone will be called just iPhone, just like Apple did with the iPad.
    I always found these numbers to be unnecessary...

thinner(although not necessary) + wider + taller (latter two NOT exclusive) and I will but my first iPhone ;)

5. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

A thinner phone would be nice too

6. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

The next iPhone will be known as the iPhone 5, regardless of what apple chooses to call it. Just like everyone calls the new iPad "iPad 3"

7. macrumors 6502

This just in..

8. macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

Keep the current thickness and use the extra room for a bigger battery.

9. macrumors member

Prosammer

felling trees with my iphone :lol:

10. macrumors 6502a

olowott

This has been a very "double down" week

awesome rumoured specs for the new iPhone

11. macrumors regular

jephrey

With this logic, the iPhone 3GS is the iPhone4 and the iPhone4 is the iPhone5 making the iPhone4S the iPhone6. Everyone get ready for the iPhone7!!!

haha!

12. macrumors 68020

jclardy

Having a larger aperture means it lets in more light...which should mean less noise...

13. macrumors 6502

Next Generation iPhone to be better than iPhone 4s.

14. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

How? The 3GS was the 3rd iPhone, the iPhone 4 was the 4th iPhone.

15. macrumors 6502

lukefinch

That's because the new iPad is the third to be released. The next iPhone will be the sixth.

16. macrumors 6502a

Who cares, don't take it too personally

17. macrumors 68000

\-V-/

And how stupid will you feel if they end up calling it the iPhone 5?

18. macrumors newbie

How do you figure?

1 - iPhone in 2007
    2 - 3g in 2008
    3 - 3GS in 2009
    4 - 4 in 2010
    5 - 4S in 2011

Are there other iPhones that I don't know about? Using your naming system the iPhone 4 would actually be the iPhone 3. It's simple math people...

19. macrumors regular

lellis2k

Not really
    1. iphone
    2. iphone 3g
    3. iphone 3gs
    4. iphone 4
    5. iphone 4s
    6. iphone ?

20. jephrey, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

macrumors regular

jephrey

oops. true.
    I just didn't like the "How stupid are some people?" comment. I guess pretty stupid

hah!

EDIT: not trying to argue, I think the naming is a moot point - didn't think it was necessary to bring up and call people dumb about.

21. macrumors 6502a

Please squeeze in 60fps for the rear.

22. macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

Really? We're arguing over the name again in a thread about the camera?

23. macrumors 6502

No kidding, I read 2.2 and thought awesome! Larger opening, more light, less noise.

24. macrumors 65816

I love how mad people get when they call the next iPhone the iPhone 5. Whether Apple calls it that or not, people will call it that because of the natural progression Apple has set.

Apple iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, etc.

25. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    How does this make sense?

First, who takes video with the front facing camera?

Secondly, if you do take video, I would think most people do so in portrait mode...

Well I guess if you wanted to make a good video you could hold it in landscape, but then you'd have to compensate for the off center.

At any rate, I'm in favor of the HD front facing camera.

I'm also excited for the phone to be ~8mm. I honestly think that is the perfect thickness.