Next-Generation iPhone with LTE, NFC, and 1 GB RAM Reportedly Still in Engineering Testing

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 18, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Disputing a report from last weekend claiming that Apple has begun production on the next-generation iPhone, BGR now claims that the device is still in engineering testing and has yet to enter production.
    [​IMG]

Claimed front panel from next-generation white iPhone
    The report also claims to have confirmed several hardware details on the forthcoming iPhone, including the unsurprising inclusion of LTE connectivity, a bump to 1 GB of RAM from the 512 MB found in the iPhone 4S, and near field communication (NFC) technology that could significantly enhance the utility of Apple's Passbook app for iOS 6 unveiled last month.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone with LTE, NFC, and 1 GB RAM Reportedly Still in Engineering Testing

2. macrumors 68000

spiderman0616

Does it need to be said? Yes.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

3. macrumors 6502a

Baklava

With every leaked iPhone 5 front-panel photo I somehow like the new wider design more and more. :)

4. macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Does it seriously need to be said? BGR is almost as unreliable as Digitimes. They've consistently been wrong about everything in the past 18 months.

5. macrumors 6502a

6. macrumors 603

bedifferent

I don't know why I care so much, but NFC really has me excited.

I can see the next iPhone "controversy": "You're paying for it wrong".

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

7. macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I upgraded to an iphone 4 the week it came out from Verizon. That was February 11. I didn't get a 4s. What is the thinking on a subsidized upgrade from Verizon on the iPhone 5? Will they make me wait to December/ February, or will they give me a subsidized upgrade at the time of release?

8. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

So all these parts could very well still be "dummy" parts as Apple could be testing everything inside a normal looking iPhone

9. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    LTE and 1GB I think are near certainties. Reports seem to indicate Apple is shying away from NFC, but I do hope it's included. It can be used for much more than just payments.

10. macrumors 6502a

Meh, still not better than the "you know what"...:D

11. macrumors 68040

YES! Phone could use more RAM.

12. macrumors member

One Bad Duck

Exciting

The concept of merging my travel card, keys, wallet, mp3 player, loyalty cards, calendar, address book is pretty cool. Imagine getting into your house/car with your phone....

13. adildacoolset, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

macrumors 65816

When tim cook said he was "doubling down" on security, it means he may have been cracking down on sources of leaks. What better way than this? In the interview, he said that there's ONE screen size and ONE aspect ratio.

So either it's tim cook who is trolling us, or the suppliers trolling tim cook by showing that they can leak when they want to.

If it's the latter, I sure hope that this article is right and revise the aspect ratio.

14. macrumors 603

bedifferent

I believe that's what Apple has done in the past, placed new iPhone "guts" into current casings for certain Cupertino employees to test, no? Could be wrong.

I remember the two incidents in which iPhone's were left in public places, last years being in a bar but the iPhone shell was current while the parts differed (this was [supposedly] when a complete redesign was in the works but shelved due to battery issues with LTE/GSM/CDMA chips and hardware leaving the backup 4S as a last ditch release).

15. macrumors G4

Agreed. "Always On" on CNet showed a very useful video last week of how to use tags to automatically change settings on a phone when you are in a car, at the office, etc.

16. macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be surprised if they actually reduced the RAM to 256 MB in order to increase the battery life.

17. macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

With NFC, Apple will literally allow you to shut up, while they take your money. ;)

18. macrumors regular

The LTE and NFC are long overdue, but that should be a nice addition. The 4 inch screen, even though I'm not completely sold that I'll like more height on the phone, should also look good. But 1 GB of RAM? If this report is true, that's just not enough and it's behind industry standard. My 4S gets bogged down if I don't close out apps (which I don't want to ever have to worry about). If these reports are true, I'm not convinced this phone is going to be a significant enough upgrade for me to not switch over to an Android 4.1 phone. I mean, a new Nexus is due in November; if this comes out in October then I'm just going to wait. Guaranteed updates and guaranteed better specs

19. macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

20. macrumors 603

bedifferent

Would be fantastic, and it is a very secure tech. Time Warner and other company's use app's with their installed hardware for home security, would be nice to see this all incorporated.

21. macrumors 6502

dwman

My contract for my iPhone 4 ends next Saturday. October can't get here soon enough. Eager to ride the speedy 4G's. :D

22. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I wonder how much longer we're going to be seeing posts like this...

23. macrumors 68000

I am guessing that the metal on the back is there for a reason, NFC. It makes sense, combined with Passbook, NFC will be the defining feature of the new iPhone.

24. macrumors 6502a

1GB of RAM would be weak, they should just suck it up and include 2GB.

25. macrumors regular

jasonxneo

2gb of RAM is for the iphone 5s :p