Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone51.jpg

BGR reports that it has received word from a reliable source indicating that the next-generation iPhone will indeed be a significant departure from the existing iPhone 4 form factor, bringing a "radical new case design" for the handset. According to the source, Apple may be preparing for an event in early or mid August to introduce the next iPhone, which would become available in the last week of August.
While Apple has indeed been giving some developers access to a device known as the iPhone 4S -- an iPhone 4 with upgraded internals -- BGR has independently confirmed that the next-generation iPhone will not merely be an upgraded iPhone 4 as had been previously rumored. We have been told by a reliable source to expect a radical new case design for the upcoming iPhone. We have not been given any additional details surrounding the design of the new iPhone case, though.
BGR's claims contradict a number of other reports that have claimed that Apple's next iPhone will appear nearly identical to the iPhone 4, with most improvements confined to the internals of the device. Several reports have also suggested that the new iPhone won't appear until the September-October timeframe, in line with the company's iPod-focused media event traditionally held around that time.

While BGR has demonstrated solid sourcing for Apple's iOS updates and offered some accurate information from Apple's retail store operations, the site has been less accurate with other recent claims. Recent misses include Back to School promo details and claimed MacBook Pro details.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone With 'Radical New Case Design' Coming in August?

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I really feel skeptical about this. Don't pin your hopes on this one. There seems to be simply too much concensous on more of an iPhone 4S revision.

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
I will be eligible for an upgrade in two days and am prepared to skip a bump in specs and wait for the redesigned iPhone. It is encouraging to hear that the next version may be my next phone.

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
I really feel skeptical about this. Don't pin your hopes on this one. There seems to be simply too much concensous on more of an iPhone 4S revision.

I think the issue is Apple is letting way too much time go by between revisions so a spec bump might not be enough to keep the momentum going.

Given their history the 4S seems more likely but if you are a company in a war with Google that's probably not the best choice IMHO after leaving your previous hardware unchanged for over a year.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I wonder how much it will cost for those of us that already have the iphone 4

It's going to be available 40% discount if you already own an iPhone 4 and want to extend your contract.

I heard this from my sister's friend's boyfriend who works at an Apple store, so its most likely true.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Lately hardware is less and less interesting, rather the software updates are usually more interesting.

With that said, the android hardware really is great. I would LOVE a larger screen iphone -- 4"

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
I can only hope they really go all in - the Nexus 4G rumors are pretty insane on the spec list, too bad the software sucks.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO

Agreed.
With the Feb addition of the VZW iPhone 4 and the white iPhone 4 having "just" been made available, I would find it very surprising if Apple rolls out a completely new hardware design come late summer/fall. I've seen crazier, but it just doesn't feel right...

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
I like how theres been a universal assumption and agreement that the next phone will be 'identical' physically, and in other ways just a slight bump to the iPhone 4, based on... absolutely nothing. Everytime theres a consensus online about a future Apple carpet, it usually turns out completely wrong and the rug gets pulled from under them. Where did this 'consensus' come from? Its 1 or 2 unsubstantiated rumors, which all the tech blogs then repost and validate, then before you know it its 'fact'. We should know by now to expect the unexpected. Apple is good @ keeping secrets. Many of the new iOS5 features came out of left field, iCloud contained more than any rumor Id ever read about it, etc.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Like the article says, I have faith in BGR when he pegs iOS update release dates but I don't find his hardware information holds water.

I really love the hardware on the iPhone 4 and kinda doubt that Apple would change it so quickly. However, if they do one thing's for sure: it won't be thicker.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I think the issue is Apple is letting way too much time go by between revisions so a spec bump might not be enough to keep the momentum going.

Given their history the 4S seems more likely but if you are a company in a war with Google that's probably not the best choice IMHO after leaving your previous hardware unchanged for over a year.

Changing too much, too often, can also be a killer combination. Apple has a history of showing some reserve in their design changes. Familiarity, and ease of use also help sell units too. I don't envy their position in the marketplace, they have a much harder balancing act to deal with than their Android competitors.

liquid stereo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2005
Saint Paul
iPhone 4 is a brick

The iPhone 4 is a stylistic dead end. I would be surprised if the person who came up with its design ever does anything again. Its a brick. It doesn't feel nearly as nice as the 3G/3GS. And its a brick.

The next iPhone will most likely be a "descendant" of the iPhone 3.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
1.17mm thinner and 0.6g lighter!