Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
celebrian23 said:
I hate voice commands. You cann't speak normal- you have to articulate your words more than normal and if you talk fast like I do, you have to slow it down. No thanks I say.

Not necessarily. I remember working a few years back at a telecom company whose flagship product contained a voice recognition auto-attendant. One feature was you could log into your voice mail by speaking. It was actually kind of ironic because the instructions said to enunciate your phone number clearly and slowly, using about one number per second ("six... one.. three..") But whenever I tried to do this it would interrupt me and say "I'm sorry, I didn't get that. Please, try again." It took me a while to realize that I was actually supposed to rattle off my phone number at a conversational pace. THAT it could understand.

We also had voice dialing. Which worked great... sometimes. I can just imagine that technology applied to a voice controlled iPod:

"iPod, next song please."
"I heard, Black Eyed Peas, is that correct?"
"No!"
"Please restate your command."
"Volume down."
"I heard, System of a Down, is that correct?"
"Aaargh!"
"Please say 'yes', or 'no'...."

Hey, maybe this is what the Newton engineers have been re-assigned to? :D

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
notjustjay said:

:eek:

Oy!!!! Leave those Newton engineers alone!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - my MP2K is still going strong now!! and it's almost ten years old :D

Man - those Newton folk were waaaaaay ahead of their time...

RodC
--
http://www.expodition.com - for iPod users who love to travel
-----------------------------------------------------
NEW!!! Check out the 2006 World Cup PSS here: http://www.expodition.com/Worldcup_PSS.php

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Man this 'true' video ipod is the stupidest thing I've heard. Just because the screen isn't 4" doesn't make it a fake video ipod. And yes I know it's not just macrumors that use this term.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
FleurDuMal said:
Eugh! I like to talk to people (and animals and plants, if I'm in the mood), not electronic gadgets!

What a waste of time 'voice command' is. I have it on my phone and NEVER use it. Ever.

I use the voice command feature on my cell every day while I'm driving. Much better than having to take my eyes off the road to scroll through numbers that I don't have set as speed dials. Personally I would love having a voice option on the iPod - much safer than scrolling through tracks while driving.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
notjustjay said:
Not necessarily. I remember working a few years back at a telecom company whose flagship product contained a voice recognition auto-attendant. One feature was you could log into your voice mail by speaking. It was actually kind of ironic because the instructions said to enunciate your phone number clearly and slowly, using about one number per second ("six... one.. three..") But whenever I tried to do this it would interrupt me and say "I'm sorry, I didn't get that. Please, try again." It took me a while to realize that I was actually supposed to rattle off my phone number at a conversational pace. THAT it could understand.

We also had voice dialing. Which worked great... sometimes. I can just imagine that technology applied to a voice controlled iPod:

"iPod, next song please."
"I heard, Black Eyed Peas, is that correct?"
"No!"
"Please restate your command."
"Volume down."
"I heard, System of a Down, is that correct?"
"Aaargh!"
"Please say 'yes', or 'no'...."

Heh, reminds me of trying to talk to "Melanie" on Rogers to recharge my mobile phone credit. Could've taken 2 seconds by just pressing the buttons corresponding to the numbers on the recharge card but noooo.... You have to tell her the numbers slowly and clearly...oh, and in a high-pitched Canadian accent. Try doing that when you have even my very soft Aussie accent. I just used to talk crap until they put me onto an operator. So annoying and far more annoying than pushing a button.

My last post disappeared into the strangeness that is stalking these forums but I think they could be basing an inline remote for control around a small nano-sized click wheel.

Evan_11

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2004
I see a voice activated iPod being targeted at the excercise market much like the Nike + iPod promotion. Runners could care less about sound quality so a bluetooth headset would work. Just make it light weight, stylish and functional.

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
HA, I surely did:) .
nagromme said:
You must have read it the way I did, with the hyphen in the wrong place :D

"Apple files patent for a reliable real time-transport protocol"

Sidestepping the Creative Lawsuit

Macrumors said:

Update: A recent Apple patent describing an audio interface for the iPod could be related to the "none-touch" concept. Patent described at Macsimum.

I wonder if this will sidestep the suit brought on by Creative. Apple changes interface thus defeating Creatives attempt to stop iPods being sold in the US.

Apple keeps pressure with their countersuit, keeping Creative in a defensive posture (like Creative was ever really on offense).

hmm. interesting.

macaddict06

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
about 3 meters from here. *points*
Slow News Day.

Clearly, this is an indication that bio-implantable iPods are coming. It makes sense since the Chinese are rolling out BMEs like crazy, and we have iPods that we don't want to have to look at. Knowing Apple, the surgery will be good, but the clear case will be $99...and not as good as other ones :)
Seriously, I don't think this means anything. For one, the guy's ship is damaged after (during) the Foxconn employee bit, and so he is likely to say things that will make them more reputable - they know Steve won't agree or disagree on anything regarding future iPod developments. Second, the translation makes no sense, really. Just because it's in Chinese does not mean that the translation can't make sense. They can do a lot better with the translation (although I would have to agree that the second time he said it, it wasn't exactly the same, so maybe the video of the guy saying it is a fake...:D

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
kresh said:
I wonder if this will sidestep the suit brought on by Creative. Apple changes interface thus defeating Creatives attempt to stop iPods being sold in the US.

You may be on to something. If the supposed timeline is to be believed, Apple could be in some hot water.

chrismccorkle

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
Dave187 said:

image_01.jpg

Wow. Nice concept image.
Not.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
bluetooth remote controlled iPod.

Very none-touch.(your just using the remote)

I figured touch screen would come into effect..but who knows.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
kresh said:

Apple keeps pressure with their countersuit, keeping Creative in a defensive posture (like Creative was ever really on offense).

hmm. interesting.

I'm just waiting for Creative to fold up shop or Apple to buy them out.

wronski

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
slffl said:
Man this 'true' video ipod is the stupidest thing I've heard. Just because the screen isn't 4" doesn't make it a fake video ipod. And yes I know it's not just macrumors that use this term.

How about... 'good' video iPod or 'nicely sized' video iPod? :p

Cobrien

macrumors member
May 4, 2006
Whats the biggest competition for iPods right now. Mobile phones. They have technology called A2DP which allows bluetooth headphones.

In order to keep up with this Apple may have created an iPod with A2DP so that u can listen to music wirelessly an stream music wirelessly.

Just a thought.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
slffl said:
I think what people mean is an iPod dedicated to video first, and costing more as a result, and being marketed as a video player--rather than an iPod dedicated to music first and foremost while video is just a freebie extra. (But that approach was a very smart way for Apple to test the market without risking a video iPod selling low--and being called a failure.)

A bigger screen would certainly be the factor that made it more like other "video players" and less like a traditional iPod.

Sharewaredemon said:
Whoever made that "fake iPod" elevator pic is a genius.

That's like two or three different "leaked" apple product photo concepts put together.
My little tribute to my favorite kind of Mac hoax: the elevator photo. A timeless tradition. "This Way!"

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Sam43054 said:
Wont happen till Oct...

Heres why..

New U2 iPod Released :(

They just started the iPod with Mac discount

First iPod was in Oct of 2001, Oct 2001 to Oct 2006 is 5 years... They will make a big deal out of it being 5 years!!!! :D

Other side notes.....

Finish all Macs to intel before the new iPod

It makes sense.
I think the new ipod will come the earliest after Summer. not during it.
October seems a good time. August will be big for the Pro Mac towers at WWDC, so Apple focus will be on that, so it makes sense around September/October to see the new Ipod.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
slffl said:

So what do you propose calling it instead?

I don't really care what the next gen is, I just hope it's fairly soon. I was about ready to buy a nano, but I get the feeling that we'll likely have an update before too long, and even if it's a capacity boost, I don't want to miss out on it.

Is there any real intel on when an update or at least refresh may happen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.