Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Does anybody know if the current 32gb flash drives cheap enough for Apple to bump the iPod touch storage capacity to 64gb (two 32gb) this September?

If there won't be a 64gb touch, the iPhones would be stuck in 16gb till early next year.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
Apple can't do that before bumping the iPod touch storage first. Otherwise, it will cannibalize the 32gb touch sales.

If the profit margins are about equal then who cares if the iPhone cannibalizes the touch (or vice versa)?

And then there's the phone aspect: if I need phone functionality I won't consider the touch even if it has better features or price. If I don't need a phone or don't want to commit to a $1500 or $2000 (2 year) cost then an iPhone won't tempt me away from buying an iPod touch no matter if it has more GB.

Basically I have a hard time seeing how one can cannibalize the other to any significant extent.

Greg

cromwell64

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
If they were cheap enough, you'd be seeing a 32gb iPhone. They double about once a year, making a capacity bump possible in early 2009.

i thought that the reason the iphone has less storage is due to size constraints. i'm not positive but i thought the extra hardware in the iphone limited the amount of storage they could easily put in there.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Yup... the iPhone uses single Flash drives while the touch has double.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Anyone know who Apple buys the flash drives from and what model they are? IT would be interesting to go to their supplier and see how much the 32 GB flash drives are selling for right now. Then we could see if a 64GB iPod Touch is likely soon.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
zen 32gb goes for 239, so it can't be that much.
Good point. If the Zen utilizes single flash drive as opposed to two 16gb drives, the possibility of seeing a 64gb touch come September seems higher. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.