Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iLounge offers a number of details regarding the fourth-generation iPod touch rumored for introduction today that it believes to be correct. While much of the information regarding the physical features of the device is essentially the same as that detailed in an earlier report and supported by leaked case designs, one new detail is a claim that the device is actually even thinner than the current iPod touch models.
It is slightly thinner than the second- and third-generation iPod touch. The rear casing has corner and side radiuses that are, as we previously noted, MacBook Pro lid-like, and the center does not bulge, so it can rest flat on a table like the first-generation iPod touch. What used to be a soft curve of the rear shell that wrapped around to surround the front glass is gone.
The current iPod touch measures in at 0.33 inches deep at its thickest point, while the iPhone 4 is essentially of uniform thickness at 0.37 inches. There have been questions about how Apple might be able to fit a high-quality rear-facing camera into the existing iPod touch form factor given the depth of the camera modules used in devices like the iPhone 3GS and 4. While we still do not know the spec of the next-generation iPod touch's camera, Apple seems to have found away to squeeze a camera in while reducing thickness even further.

105501-ipod_voip_app.jpg

Questionable screenshot of purported VoIP application for next-generation iPod touch
iLounge also shares some unconfirmed claims from an "untested" source regarding a possible 3G-enabled version of the iPod touch. Another claim suggests that Apple will deploy a VoIP application to allow for calling on the iPod touch, although the source's screenshots supporting the claim appear to have been Photoshopped. Consequently, these claims should be considered unreliable but obviously of interest.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPod Touch to Be 'Slightly Thinner' Than Current Models?

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Any thinner and they'll be able to brag about yet another use... shaving.

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
They must be close to the limit on how thin the touch can get, looking forward to seeing this new design though. I'd like to see something other than chrome on the back too.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Many others have guessed the touch will get an aluminum backing like the iPad. In just two hours, we shall see!

Also, has anyone tried the phone calling feature in G-Mail with the iPod touch? Does it work?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Thinner?

"The current iPod touch measures in at 0.33 inches deep at its thickest point, while the iPhone 4 is essentially of uniform thickness at 0.37 inches."

Isn't 0.37" *thicker* than 0.33"? Not to mention the new Touch is said to be a uniform thickness, while existing touch is 0.33" "at its thickest point".

genosseinski

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Honestly, this whole calling/3G thing is a joke. Apple won't compete with their own product. And VoIP is not the "easy-Apple-style", it would be confusing for most casual users (what, I can call sb, but I don't have my own number??)

Same for rear camera. I think to keep a certain distance to the iPhone, there will be only a little VGA-front facing camera, enough for Facetime. That would explain the thinness of the iPod Touch as well.

Yes I know we all have our nice little wishes, but from a realistic point of view, we will probably see:
- Retina Display
- Gyroscope (as the iPod is a popular gaming machine)
- Same form factor (3,5)
- 64 GB max (128 is unlikely)
- Front facing camera

That's my guess, just in my experience with Apple updates.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
At some point would it be a good idea to offer an ipod touch with no camera built in but a separate camera device that could sit on top of the ipod or elsewhere? Perhaps a wireless connectivity. You could set the camera on a bench or on top of the ipod. You could face it forward or back for photos or chat. If you are not interested in the camera then you on't buy it. Or if you own it and don't need it, you leave it in the computer bag.

There are pros and cons for sure. I'm thinking one benefit is only needing one camera instead of two.

A con would be losing the device and quality of video if not wired in.

I would prefer a camera that can be removed and turned around or placed off the ipod to some sort of swivel apparatus.

scb02

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Thinner?

Amazes that they would make a thinner camera module, why didn't they do this in the iPhone 4 and use the same?

Saying that it might be thinner and lower quality I guess.

Will be interesting for sure!

Darlo770

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
Yessssss!!!

The horrible curved design has gone!

Thank god, i didn't like the way you couldn't place the second/third generation devices down on a table with them spinning on their curved backs like some kind of break-dancing moves. :p

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
LOL. Same rumor every year for those who can't figure out the obvious:

3G enabled iPod touch = iPhone.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
At some point would it be a good idea to offer an ipod touch with no camera built in but a separate camera device that could sit on top of the ipod or elsewhere? Perhaps a wireless connectivity. You could set the camera on a bench or on top of the ipod. You could face it forward or back for photos or chat. If you are not interested in the camera then you on't buy it. Or if you own it and don't need it, you leave it in the computer bag.

There are pros and cons for sure. I'm thinking one benefit is only needing one camera instead of two.

A con would be losing the device and quality of video if not wired in.

I would prefer a camera that can be removed and turned around or placed off the ipod to some sort of swivel apparatus.

That sounds just about as non-apple as it gets, they don't go for the "tiny ugly external gadget on a swivel" thing. It'll never happen.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Bad to know. :mad:

I want this thicker, and containing more hardware, such as a GPS or a camera and mic.

buckawheat

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
3G Touch

I am holding on to a tiny thread of hope for an Ipod Touch with 3G using the Ipad data plans. Either way, my Gen 1 touch is dying and needs replacement, but a 3G would separate me from more of my money than non-3G touch. And there is always Sept 1/2011.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Also, has anyone tried the phone calling feature in G-Mail with the iPod touch? Does it work?
Voicecalls with Gmail require a browser plug, thus it is not available for the iPod touch.

However, you can get voicecalls on the iPod touch using Google Voice and callback to a Gizmo5 SIP account. I have used it quite successfully, including free calls back to the United States from international locations. My current setup is Riverturn's VoiceCentral BlackSwam HTML5 app (free) and Acrobits' Groundwire SIP client (recently on sale for $2.99). The Acrobits Softphone client works fine too.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
It just occurred to me that maybe they are merging the nano and the touch, as well as the nano and the shuffle. It would make more sense - the back-facing camera may be identical to the one in the 5th gen nano (which would explain how they've been able to keep it thin, considering Steve's concerns last year). Meanwhile, other nano features, like the FM radio, make a transition to the gym/exercise-friendly touch-screen shuffle.

Looking at those leaked 'nano' cases, that slot where there's apparently a hold button makes absolutely no sense for a touch-screen device. If anything it would be a sleep/wake button like on the current iOS devices instead of an actual hold switch. It makes more sense for it to be the shuffle toggle like on the, yep, iPod shuffle. Not to mention that it's absurdly small for something they'll market as the nano.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
That sounds just about as non-apple as it gets, they don't go for the "tiny ugly external gadget on a swivel" thing. It'll never happen.

I could envision a camera free ipod someday. Smaller. And a wireless icam that could be used with the computer or the ipod. It could sit on top of the ipod facing forward or back.

Only one camera needed and if a consumer doesn't want one, the ipod is cheaper.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
This worries me. I've been holding off my birthday Touch purchase (mine was stolen by a "friend") for months now in hopes of consolidating my music player with my digital camera. I'm really hoping for a camera on par with the IP4, but these thinness rumors are making me pessimistic. :(

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
"Apple seems to have found away to squeeze a camera in while reducing thickness even further."

Says who? We don't know yet that it will be any thinner OR that it will include any cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.