Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swinny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2002
Oxford, UK
This stuff has been talked about many times already, but I just wanted to share my thoughts on what the next generation iPod will be...

For ages we've heard about the Apple PDA and the iPhone and the colour iPod with camera attachment, sony-erricson link-ups blah blah blah and I think the next "major" revision of the iPod could go some way to combining all of these features.

MMS (Picture messaging) appears to have taken off in a big way, all allowed through phones with basic digital cameras attached, and for a few years we have seen phones incorporating PDA functionality and vice versa and both allowing MP3 playback...even PDAs with cameras attached...I personally don't believe it will be long before somebody puts all these elements together and creates the "uber communitainment device" that does it all....maybe stupidly expensive still though!

My point? Sony-Erricson have the technical know-how, financial clout and market penetration to make such a device a success...all they need is an inovative company who can build universally desirable products that are simple to use yet powerful to actually design the thing...

---------------------------------------------
Swinny
Webmaster // http://www.iMovie-user.com

Pants

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2001
Re: Next generation iPod...

Originally posted by Swinny

MMS (Picture messaging) appears to have taken off in a big way, all allowed through phones with basic digital cameras attached, and for a few years we have seen phones incorporating PDA functionality and vice versa and both allowing MP3 playback...even PDAs with cameras attached...
---------------------------------------------
Swinny
Webmaster // http://www.iMovie-user.com

yeah, but teh thing is, MMS hasnt taken off. Yes its being hyped massively, but thats because telecoms companies are in a dreadful hole with their 3 g licences, and are desperate for any 'killer app'. That hype though doesn't mean its taken off - the pictures are lousy whilst teh price plans are a horrendous muddle and downright expensive. I'm sure they MAY catch on in some small way sooner or later, but i suspect the 'big app' for mobile phone co.s is still waiting to be developed.

On teh other hand, The Registers proposed Bluetooth enabled iPod, now that is a good idea - and one I'd readily buy into - a portable hardrive enabled with bluetooth...mmm.....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/28372.html

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
i know the us is behind on this stuff, but here in uk and Europe SMS text message is BIG, MMS is an upgrade to SMS and once these greedy operators take the prices down i'm sure MMS will be just as big as SMS.

Pants

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2001
Originally posted by Mr Jobs
i know the us is behind on this stuff, but here in uk and Europe SMS text message is BIG, MMS is an upgrade to SMS and once these greedy operators take the prices down i'm sure MMS will be just as big as SMS.

I dunno - none of teh forecasts that even the telecos are putting out are puting much faith in MMS as it stands. And why? lousy images & expensive transmission. Maybe in time, but yes, here in the UK MMS hasn't taken off and personally, I can't see it happening in its present form - 'proper' file sharing like a bluetooth iPod, now that would own, but heaven forbid the day someone sends me a pixelated picture of them being drunk! :)

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
I really don't see the point in "MMS" or whatever they call it... I'd rather see a mobile device that looks good and is expandable. The Handspring Treo fits the look good style, but it's processor is too slow.. if it was on an ARM processor and had expandability, you could video conference live, take pictures, and more all through a 3G network... that is, as long as all the companies followed standards.

I think there's a bigger chance Apple makes a tabletmac before they release a cell phone.

gooddog

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2002
Re: Next generation iPod...

I have a thread on this (sort of) in HARDWARE :

We KNOW that lots of functions can be crammed into one device -- check out the
coming hp H5450 with loads of functions AND a good biometric fingerprint
reader.

But, I think the best thing would be a Bluetooth iPod in the briefcase for massive
storage (and maybe even processing ?)

while the actual handheld unit would be an elegant SwissArmy-like cluster of sensors
for hi-def pics (scenery, faces, AND DOCUMENTS), QT movies+sound, voice-corder,
wireless com modes, module rails, 16X9 hi-res screen, virtual-projected keyboard,

The iPod could be carried separately via Bluetooth, OR it could attach to the unit's
module rails.

Physical skins could make it elegant for the James Bond types, or translucent silicone
armor, keep the pretty thing intact. A lanyard attachment is overdue!

---gooddog

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
The only thing th iPod need.

Mic in.

Can you imagine to be able to record a conversation directly to the har drive in real time using an incorporated mic in the iPod? To ble able to record a class, a conference, ideas, speaches, etc? to be able to fast foward, rewind, storage them and then download them in to your computer?

That would make the iPod a must in many places, for sure I would get one finally.

totally_fly

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2002
I suspect upgrades to the interface will arise.. maybe they will provide dev tools for the iPod; the one game is boring.. people could develop more, someone could make a "scratching" app, it has lots of potential...

mp4 support is defintely required..

im not sure about the color screen idea, i don't think it would matter much

how about a simple visualization??

I think it's gonna be mostly software updates..however there are a few possible things that could be added hardware wise: size reduction, hd capacity increase, firewire 2 ??? support, faster processor ??

its up to apple but they should enhance the capabilities of the iPod, it has sooooooo much potential

gooddog

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2002
Originally posted by totally_fly
I suspect upgrades to the interface will arise.. maybe they will provide dev tools for the iPod; the one game is boring.. people could develop more, someone could make a "scratching" app, it has lots of potential...

mp4 support is defintely required..

im not sure about the color screen idea, i don't think it would matter much

how about a simple visualization??

I think it's gonna be mostly software updates..however there are a few possible things that could be added hardware wise: size reduction, hd capacity increase, firewire 2 ??? support, faster processor ??

its up to apple but they should enhance the capabilities of the iPod, it has sooooooo much potential

Ah, but why not enjoy your foto album
in hi-rez color while
listening to your mp3's ???

Or how about a good movie ?

---goooddog

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Originally posted by dricci
I think there's a bigger chance Apple makes a tabletmac before they release a cell phone.

Whatever makes you think that? They've got prototypes of both. They'll pick whichever is going to make more of a splash in the market.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
The next revision of the iPod will have:

- 40Gb HD (Firewire 2 compliant + drop 5Gb version. 10,20 + 40Gb versions available)
- Few more feature such like calendas etc
- Different design (less scratchable)

Thats what I think anyway. However, not sure when (Maybe MWSF). I may get one if they come out then.

mousemd

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2002
I don't know about a new iPod...last time they introduced a new revision, they discounted the iPods down somewhat...they haven't done it yet for this group; the only thing that was close was the holiday "sale" (10 bucks off the 5gig).

We'll see....

wrylachlan

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2002
-usb so you can use it to unload pics off your digital camera in the field.

-color screen

-iPhoto sync

-a Mic would be nice. And though I know this would be pie in the sky, I think a killer app would be very simple voice recognition. I'm not talking full on drgon speaking type voice recognition. Real Basic, like maybe you need to spell out the letters for it to understand. But use it to Keyword your photos in the field. How cool would that be? You're on vacation. You take a days worth of pictures of Paris. Before you go to bed you hool up your camera to your iPod, download all the images, and go through them keywording them by talking to your iPod. When you get home, you plug into your Mac and everything is already organized! Want to find that cool picture of the Louvre you took. No problem!

-Bluetooth and Rendezvous seem like a shoe-in.

-NO camera

-NO WiFi

-NO PDA functionality

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.