next generation ipods? When?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gonenuts15792, Nov 13, 2003.

1. gonenuts15792 macrumors newbie

I'm finally ready to buy an Ipod, but I'm not sure if I should wait for the next generation ipods to come out or just buy one now. Does anyone have an estimate as to when the next generation might come out. I've read some articles that say that a new generation of the Ipod is coming out soon, and then others say that it will be awhile before the next generation comes out. What should I do, buy one now or wait awhile for new ones to come out. Any advice would be helpful, I'm excited to get one but if their are new ones coming out within 6 months i can wait.

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Well, 6 months isn't "soon". I would imagine there will be an update within 6 months. If you're ready to buy one now, I'd just go ahead and get it, because you'll probably be waiting till early summer if you want an update.

3. Macpoops macrumors 6502

As far as feature set and form factor the ipods are probably going to remain the same for a while. The only thing that is going to change is capacity. I have yet to meet a person that can fill a 40 gig ipod... A 20 gig yes but not yet a 40 gig. If you just looking at it as a music player and your not going to be using it to shuttle files and such you'll be fine considering the average ipod user is going to have between 5-10 gigs of music

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: next generation ipods? When?

I agree that 6 months is not "soon". If you think that a new iPod coming in 6 months is too soon to get one now... then u prob should wait.

This timeline may help to give you a big picture of updates:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

arn

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I've ripped every CD I've got and I still haven't hit 5 gigs. :) But I've found the iPod is also valuable as a firewire hard drive (I realize that's pretty much common knowledge). Plus with Carbon Copy Cloner you can even turn it into a (rather slow) bootable backup of your disk - something that helped me immensely when I was messing around with disk repartitioning recently.

6. gonenuts15792 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyones help. I think i'm just going to buy one now. Six months really is a little long to wait. I have a hard time imagining that I can even fill 20 GB of space, so just a size upgrade doesn't matter