Next iBook Questions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macphoria, Feb 16, 2003.

1. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

Here are 10 questions about next iBook update, just to get your opinions going.

1) When do you think next iBook revisions/updates will take place? May-July? Sept-Nov?
    2) Will it be a brand new machine or speed update?
    3) Will iBook G3 chip hit 1Ghz mark?
    4) Will it feature larger screen or stick to 12 inch? If 12 inch, will the resolution remain the same (1024x768)?
    5) Will it be limited to 640Mb RAM?
    6) Will it have FireWire 800?
    7) Will the optical drive remain tray loading or go to slot loading?
    8) Will it have SuperDrive? (I know many people mentioned G4 is more suitable for DVD-R related functions, but what the heck)
    9) Will it have Bluetooth?
    10) Last but not least, will it come in COLORS?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

1. I'd say April-may
    2. Don't know
    3. Possibly.
    4. You can currently buy a 14" version
    5. Probably
    6. doubt it.
    7. Slot
    8. No.
    9. Maybe.
    10. I doubt it.

Glad to help. :D

Lethal

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

you can't expect that much out of a consumer laptop. No superdrive, probably no bluetooth (who knows)... no larger resolution, tho it would be nice; no colors (apple has moved entirely away from that, you'll note they haven't put different colors out in well over a year)... slot-loading is still more expensive, and there's no need for the "coolness" factor in an iBook... firewire 800 doesn't have any applications in a consumer laptop. i'd be surprised if they included it, but i've been surprised by them before.

i'm surprised you didnt ask about AE. that will be the definite feature incorporated in the next update-- AE readiness.

if you're holding off buying one 'till they get these features, go buy a powerbook 12". it's just not going to happen to the ibook--

pnw

4. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

1) When do you think next iBook revisions/updates will take place? May-July? Sept-Nov?

definitely before the end of summer

2) Will it be a brand new machine or speed update?

Same case, but updated (see: $999 iBook, it's materials are different)

3) Will iBook G3 chip hit 1Ghz mark?

Probably not, I forsee a G4 the day the towers become PPC 970's

4) Will it feature larger screen or stick to 12 inch? If 12 inch, will the resolution remain the same (1024x768)?

Hard to say about that, probably better screens, but no indications either way yet

5) Will it be limited to 640Mb RAM?

most likely

6) Will it have FireWire 800?

no

7) Will the optical drive remain tray loading or go to slot loading?

tray, it is cheaper, and you want a cheaper mac dont you?

8) Will it have SuperDrive? (I know many people mentioned G4 is more suitable for DVD-R related functions, but what the heck)

no

9) Will it have Bluetooth?

yes (see iMac, they usually follow each other in connectivity)

10) Last but not least, will it come in COLORS?

No, that is sooooooo 1998 :D

My thoughts & reasonings:
    Apple will NOT out-do any of their pro machines, imagine a 12" PB, plastic, and a g3, without pro features like dual display capability, not-the-greatest video card, less ram, smaller and slower hard drive. The list goes on.

5. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

The iBook probably won't hit 1Ghtz until the 12" PB is there. Which raises interesting questions about the future of the iBooks.

Perhaps Apple created such huge demand for the iBooks (when people actually wanted PowerBooks, but couldn't afford them), so that they could do away with the ibook altogether and have a full range of PowerBooks like the dark ol' days...

6. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

I personally think that Steve-o will pull something like this on the next macworld keynote, or even the one following. He will talk about the g4 for a little while on how it is such a successful processor, announce that there is one item that still doesnt use it, and wham, g4 ibook. A few steps later he will say somthing along the lines of "now that our whole line is g4's, I have somthing I want to show you" and bla-dah, a PPC 970 power mac. What a nice little transition.