Next iBook update???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Norwegian, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Norwegian macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2004
    I`m thinking of buying the iBook g4, but i`m not totally convinced yet. I`m willing to wait some months to see if new books are coming, my question is simple:
    - When do you think the next iBook update will happen?
    - What do you think it`ll look like?(specs.,processor,graphics,screen res. etc....)

Thankz a bunch!
  2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    probably not for a while, they really can't bump the speed much before the ibooks become faster than the powerbooks so the powerbooks will have to go G5 before the ibooks get a speed bump
    increasing the RAM capacity or the graphics RAM would make the ibook more attractive than the 12 in pb, the ibook already got bluetooth usb 2 and airport extreme in the last revision
    next revision i would image they'll bump the speed a little, keep the graphics the same, adding a line out and a bto option of a higher resolution 14 inch screen would be nice but i don't see them doing either
    if you like the ibook now i'd get it now i don't see much improvement anytime soon
  3. rlhubley macrumors member

Dec 15, 2003
    i say buy now. 6 months from anytime will probably include some sort of update like a speed bump, etc. Personally, I think that the next updat will be in a few months but will only be a speed bump for the ibook. Remember, they just switched to G4 processors a few months ago, so I seriously doubt the first to updates will be anything too major.
  4. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    id get them now, they were upgraded fairly recently and no major problems have been associated with them, and pb updates dont seem soon so go ahead
  5. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Get it now. They just did a slew of upgrades, the most important being the G4. However they also added 32Mb video cards, USB 2.0, BT, AE, 1024x768 screen resolution, and bigger hard drives. Nothing to sneeze at if you need a portable computer of average power. I know some will say anything without a G5 is obsolete, but for those who don't need massive computing power this is one sweet little machine. There is little upgrading that can be done from here without making it more appealing than the 12"PB across the board, so unless you want to wait 6-8 months for a modest speed bump BUY NOW! The longer you wait the more obsolete it is when you get it.....