next ibook update

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by robocop2000, Sep 24, 2004.

1. robocop2000 macrumors member

Looking at getting an ibook very soon, but the buyers guide says don't buy updates on the way but there dosen't seem to be any rumors of an ibook update. I guess the don't buy is purely based on the time since the last update. So my question is when is the next big event when there may be an updated ibook?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

There are rumors of a PB update in October/November, an iBook update*should* follow shortly after. They can't bump the iBooks until they have done the PowerBooks or the iBooks would end up as fast as the PB's only cheaper! No excuse I know, but this is why there hasn't been an update, and is no rumor of one I imagine.

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I do believe that the iBooks and PB's were updated at the same time back in April. Apple will do updates on which ever model is ready to ship the soonest IMO.

4. kallaway1 macrumors member

I am really, *really* hoping that they'll give us more ram at a lower price in both the ibook and powerbook revisions coming out. I'd even be happy with 1 stick of 512, so I could buy another from newegg or something...

Oh and while I'm on this wishlist, all the hard drives should be at least 5400 rpm :)

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Don't hold your breath, remember the top of the range iMac still only ships with 256 :rolleyes:

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

seems that all hardware rumors have fallen far short of the mark for a while now... i remember the last ibook update wasn't really even mentioned until it showed up on apple's site (and then only as a small item at the bottom).

they're getting too good at keeping rumors down. it's getting to the point where macbytes should make a news item out of when we have an actual rumor show up...

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Not sure how Apple would handle it after the fact; but they could announce 512mb standard on the line up with new orders and phase in to the stores.

8. junkionxl macrumors member

an ibook superdrive?

I have looked online and the only place to get a superdrive for an ibook that ships with a combo drive is from MCE Technologies... I was wondering if anyone else knows of another way on here. For one thing i wouldn't want to ship my ibook to a company and get it worked on and have it shipped back in pieces!

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Other than BTO, I am not sure. There were rumors that Apple was to have SDD iBooks as purchasing option Ready-T-Go at the Apple stores.

10. Zaty macrumors 65816

That's not quite true. Apple offers a BTO 14" iBook w/ Superdrive. It' s possible that they will add a new Supderdrive stock configuration. Such a configuration was rumoured shortly after the introduction of the current revision of iBooks but never materialised. Perhpas demand of Superdrive equipped iBooks was not as high as some people thought. After all, the iBook line is a great option for people who can't or are not willing to spend $1600+ for a notebook. (If the demand for those BTO configs had been high, Apple would have introduced that stock config months ago as they did with the 12" Rev. A Superdrive PB that originally was only available as BTO, too.)