Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Well, just post what you think will happen, and comment, this is what I think will happen:

iMac

• same 4 models
  • top 3 models will come with 2gb of RAM standard
  • No HD upgrades, or standards, MAYBE the 20" models will get more HD options like the 24"ers, but, dont think anything HDeable going on
  • Obviously Penryn in 2.1ghz (definate), 2.5ghz (if not, same ole 2.4ghz), and 2.8ghz (i dont think the mobile can go any faster)
  • 24 inch models will have 512MB option for Vram, and maybe the highend model will get an option for a more advanced video card, but nothing big for vcard, maybe the low end imac will get the 2600xt mobile as well
  • same 4gb ram limit
  • maybe the 20" will get better displays
  • prolly better cooling for quieter operation, same 3 fans, just bigger vents and stuff
  • 4 usb ports

last thing i didnt add to the list, cuz i wish it would happen, but know it wouldnt, is that the imac could have a pop out back, but i dont think apple will ever do that without diminishing the quad core MP from the line

Now Mac Mini, this isn't apple's best, popular, nor even apple own favorite computer, and people think its gonna die, cuz apple isnt paying any attention to it, but if it still goes strong, which i think it will, this is what i think will happen to it:

• Penryn 2.1ghz, and some other higher end, like 2.2ghz, or if there is such thing, a 2.33ghz, of just one option being 2.1ghz
  • 4gb RAM limit
  • the same GPU as in the MB and MBA
  • superdrive in both models (if there will be two), one will have 4x, the other 8x
  • a premium 250GB drive limit only available online, and 120GB, and 160GB, if there are two models, 120gb in the lower, and 160gb in the higher, if one, 120gb will be the standard
  • apple keyboard and MM will sell with it
  • open it up a bit so that MAYBE there could be no fans, i know, i know, the apple cube again

my wish for the mini though, and i know it wont happen, is that its a computer that looks EXACTLY like the imac, its an all in one, its called mac nano instead, and it comes in a 17inch model, and in assorted colors. thats my wish, but no way

So what do you guys think? pretty reasonable huh?

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Well, just post what you think will happen, and comment, this is what I think will happen:

iMac

• same 4 models
  • top 3 models will come with 2gb of RAM standard
  • No HD upgrades, or standards, MAYBE the 20" models will get more HD options like the 24"ers, but, dont think anything HDeable going on
  • Obviously Penryn in 2.1ghz (definate), 2.5ghz (if not, same ole 2.4ghz), and 2.8ghz (i dont think the mobile can go any faster)
  • 24 inch models will have 512MB option for Vram, and maybe the highend model will get an option for a more advanced video card, but nothing big for vcard, maybe the low end imac will get the 2600xt mobile as well
  • same 4gb ram limit
  • maybe the 20" will get better displays
  • prolly better cooling for quieter operation, same 3 fans, just bigger vents and stuff
  • an option for 16x superdrive
  • 4 usb ports

last thing i didnt add to the list, cuz i wish it would happen, but know it wouldnt, is that the imac could have a pop out back, but i dont think apple will ever do that without diminishing the quad core MP from the line

Now Mac Mini, this isn't apple's best, popular, nor even apple own favorite computer, and people think its gonna die, cuz apple isnt paying any attention to it, but if it still goes strong, which i think it will, this is what i think will happen to it:

• Penryn 2.1ghz, and some other higher end, like 2.2ghz, or if there is such thing, a 2.33ghz, of just one option being 2.1ghz
  • 4gb RAM limit
  • the same GPU as in the MB and MBA
  • superdrive in both models (if there will be two), one will have 4x, the other 8x
  • a premium 250GB drive limit only available online, and 120GB, and 160GB, if there are two models, 120gb in the lower, and 160gb in the higher, if one, 120gb will be the standard
  • built in speaker
  • open it up a bit so that MAYBE there could be no fans, i know, i know, the apple cube again

my wish for the mini though, and i know it wont happen, is that its a computer that looks EXACTLY like the imac, its an all in one, its called mac nano instead, and it comes in a 17inch model, and in assorted colors. thats my wish, but no way

hahahah, thanks... that was funny. :) Apple doesn't do anything good for the Mac Mini... you will be lucky if it gets a speed bump so they can clear out the supply chain of old Intel CPUs...

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Anybody think there is a chance in the future for a 30" widescreen iMac? I really would love that but I'm guessing it won't be happening anytime soon.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
If the minis get Penryn, 2GB RAM and a decent GPU, I might even be buying one.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
Anybody think there is a chance in the future for a 30" widescreen iMac? I really would love that but I'm guessing it won't be happening anytime soon.

I would love to see it. I was a hold out for the "new MBP" and look what i got. Nadda. So now I want to get an iMac so I can have more than 200GB at a resonabul RPM. But I dont want to by one this week and have a better one (maybe with a 30" screen) come out next week:(:mad::(

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
I hope they do not decide to update the imacs because i have only just brought one about a week ago lol. If i knew i would of probably waited :(

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
I am looking for the most minamalisitic update to be satisifed. 2.0 base, SR, X3100.

Once I get a full time job I will be in the market. I do not want an iMac.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005

• built in speaker

Regarding your last 3 points: Apple never sold a keyboard & mouse with the mini so why would they start now? It's always had a built-in speaker. And fanless? No I don't see them redesigning the case of the mini. Even with the intel transition they went for the laziest possible option. They didn't even bother drilling another hole for the IR remote, they just stuck it in the drive slot :p

Anyway I agree with all your other points (though I do think they will keep a combo mini around)

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
More and more I am thinking of just getting a Mac "another way" which is not allowed to be mentioned on this forum! :)

I need a basic mini tower computer, and Mac Pro is much too much for my needs.

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
I hope the ram isn't increased. Apple charge so much for there ram than a good proportion of the extra value from an upgrade will ba wasted. I'd rather see that money put into something else. That said, I'd expect a Ram upgrade to be pretty likely due to the current macbook/macbook pro offereing.
But it'll be such a waste in my opion. Give me a better gpu or cpu or a lower price and let me get my ram seperatly at a sensible price anyday.

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA

This my friend is my dream mac... I would die to have a screen that size.. Dont know if there is a market for one, but I sure would be speeding to the apple store to pick one up if it ever was created

shearp7e

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
I hope they only update the processor too. Im waiting on my iMac being delivered, should be with me on Monday. Cant cancel it now. No one better talk to me Tuesday if the graphics card gets revised!

clin86

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
is there something wrong with the 20inch imac displays? i looked up the tech specs and it shows that it isnt as bright as the 24inch ones. Has anyone compared? cos i'm getting one this weekend.

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
I have a 20" iMac which the display is really bright on so i do not think there is any difference between the 24" and the 20" so go ahead and buy. They are supurb

Jelite

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
UK
More and more I am thinking of just getting a Mac "another way" which is not allowed to be mentioned on this forum! :)

I need a basic mini tower computer, and Mac Pro is much too much for my needs.

Kidnapping Steve Jobs is NOT the way to go.

This my friend is my dream mac... I would die to have a screen that size.. Dont know if there is a market for one, but I sure would be speeding to the apple store to pick one up if it ever was created

Asus are using their EeePC technology in Large-screen TV's so you never know.

I think if there are updates then they'll just be cpu/ram/HDD like the macbooks.

I've ordered the 2GHZ mini and a 16GB Touch plus 2GB ram and a new mouse (had to order now to use a £50 voucher), none of this will be shipped until the Touch is in stock though which is due on the 5th, this gives me time to cancel if there is an upgrade announced.:cool:
Unless the Touch comes in early then im screwed.:(

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007

What a waste of a large screen when it would be time to upgrade. That's the problem with iMacs, they are dishwashers... you gotta throw out everything when it is time to get a new one.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
is there something wrong with the 20inch imac displays? i looked up the tech specs and it shows that it isnt as bright as the 24inch ones. Has anyone compared? cos i'm getting one this weekend.

I have a 20" iMac which the display is really bright on so i do not think there is any difference between the 24" and the 20" so go ahead and buy. They are supurb

I have posted a thread about the 20" iMac screen, terrible viewing angle, not saying its bad machine, but the viewing angle isn't a craving.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/444208/

clin86

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
that does look pretty bad. Does anyone know if they use the same displays as the 20inch cinema displays?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
What a waste of a large screen when it would be time to upgrade. That's the problem with iMacs, they are dishwashers... you gotta throw out everything when it is time to get a new one.

Yes, but when it's time to upgrade (I'm not talking about those of you who feel the need to have the newest and 1% faster computer), your panel is already obsolete and has been replaced by newer technology (LED, touchscreen, etc.). Even LED-backlit displays will become obsolete someday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.