Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

33man

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
Releasing more offen will not bring new customer... I don't see the point, now they have solid basis as if you have bought all your apps books and movies on iTunes, switching I android or micosoft is bit more complicated... Honestly I bought iPhone 5 for speed but well I was happy with the 4... The only upgrade that will make me change is the battery improvement... My iPhone 5 is crap, it is not a mobile phone as it has a permanent charging cable on him...

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
Personally, I don't see why it would be necessary for them to create an iPhone 5S already. My iPhone 5 is perfect in terms of hardware. The phone is light, beautiful, durable, and the screen is one of the best i've ever seen.

What they should be working on is fixing iOS 6. Even on this new iPhone, the lock screen lags, the music player freezes and crashes, the entire phone freezes, etc.

Of course, these are only minor bugs that can be easily fixed, so i'm not too worried

Edit: Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that if they do infact update the phone to a 5S already, they best not add a feature like Siri and limit it to the 5S only, simply to sell more units. I JUST bought my 5 a month ago!

Last edited:

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
It's all about feeding the monster.

Apple's current stock price is based on the assumption they will be able to create devices that will sell tens of millions of units every year.

The problem is the market for their current products is signficantly shrinking.

The iPod market has matured.

The iPhone market is always going to be limited by the number of people who are 'off contract.' (Yes, some diehards around here will sell their old phone and buy a new one - but that is a small insignficant part of the market.)

The iPad market is becoming saturated. Most people aren't going to run and buy a new iPad unless there is a very compelling reason. The Mini market offered Apple a short term solution, but what's the next change that could realistically result in moving tens of millions of units each year?

Wall Street's expectations are going to be they continue an unsustainable growth model.

Apple needs to get back to innovating and finding the next big thing that consumers crave. They seem to be betting on Apple TV as that product. I think the jury is still out on that one. The iPod, iPhone and iPad all created markets for products that were underdeveloped. The television industry is a whole different ball game.

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
They are learning, though bit slow but better still.
A new Android phones are released almost every month which makes them always on the forefront of the technological advancement where as iPhone spends atleast 6 months in the testing phase and then another 12 months in the product cycle. One and half year is a very very long time for mobile device at least in current decade. They need to shorten this cycle period.

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
Aw, my upgrade is in August.

Same here :cool:

but from an overall perspective... pick a spot to typically launch ipads and iphones/etc and stick to it... if we keep getting adhoc refreshes, people will stop being re-peat customers

this news doesnt piss me off, but if they release the iphone 6 in may, people are gonna be pissed off if they bought the iphone 5... and this is gonna really piss off ipad 4 buyers

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Apple needs a mid- year earnings boost and Apple customers will gladly accept a new model IPhone by mid 2013. Also big plus for Apple will be that it has time to build up inventory
Makes sense

Traisoon

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Well, as a consumer I have to double my saving in order to keep up with the latest released gadget by Apple. ^_^

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
I hope this report is not true. I'm waiting and saving up to buy an iPhone in 2014. I know thats a long wait, but that was my plan.
I wanted to pass on the iPhone 5 and 5S and get the "6". If they release another iPhone early next year, then who knows what kind of schedule they will have from then on?

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I would not be surprised by (and am hoping for) at least a small spec bump in the middle if the year. The current 4G capability is limited and so at least a tweak to allow more 4G networks would help the phone to sell in other markets, e.g. UK and Europe.

Whatever time the phone is released, I can't see the form factor changing significantly - they invest a lot in the manufacturing process and so a boost to internals on a 5S basis seems to make sense.

Mixing up the release cycle keeps us on our toes, as well as Samsung et al.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Digitimes is usually factually correct, just temporally incorrect. They get a lot of component level leaks, but sometimes it for stuff Apple is just stockpiling, or they don't quite guess what device a part is for.

I will forgive you this comment, because you are obviously on crack. Digitimes is almost always "factually" wrong as well as temporally wrong. Some examples:

-$799 MacBook Air
-WiFi enabled iPods
-AMD processors
-15" MacBooks (NOT MBPs)
-Apple netbook
-Intel iPhones
-OLED iPads

The few times Digitimes has been right is was very simple, vague predictions that anyone could have made ("Apple will release two iPads this year"). So basically they make 30 predictions, get one right, and rely on people's confirmation bias to get a lingering impression that Digitimes got it right.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The reason cited is due to new iPad and iPhone products "around the middle of 2013".The "middle of 2013" claim is offered very matter-of-factly despite Apple's recent history of offering fall releases for the iPhone and now the iPad. For example, the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 launched in September and October, respectively.

This is one rumor that would serve Apple well. The sooner Apple releases an _ innovative_ new iPhone, the better.

If they apply themselves and create an iPhone worth talking about "outside" of the "we love anything you make" walled garden, the greater Apple's chances are of regaining the lead in smartphone development.

And _that_ would be a milestone I would welcome.

Bobster89

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
I would prefer them to stick to yearly updates for the iPhone & iPad... just gives people a chance to update at yearly or 2 yearly cycles (people do not have endless money!) and also, it's about the feeling of having something brand new without the fear of it getting outdated in 3-6 months, and along with that comes satisfaction.

I have the iPhone 4S on contract which runs out next September and I'm just really hoping the iPhone 5S has NFC and the multi-screen functionality which the Galaxy S3 has (I know this is going to be an iOS feature more than a hardware feature).

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
I think iPad from now on will be updated before each Christmas time and iPhone as it was previously every mid year. Thats why they issued new iPad just recently. The reason behind that is simple; you can't afford (on average) to buy two new products at the same time.It called marketing and Apple is good at it.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Hope they improve the build quality. Even the factories find it difficult not to damage the materials during production.

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
RELAX - it will be a 5S, not a completely new model

The iPad 4 came out months after the iPad 3. It should almost be called a 3S

Apple had the original iPhone, the 3G, but then the 3GS, then the 4, then the 4S, so this should be a 5S. 5 owners probably won't upgrade, but if it comes out 9 months after the 5, and you're on a yearly upgrade cycle, then you'll just have to wait 3 months after it comes out.

Waiting in line is more fun in the summer anyway. :)

Shearwater

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Leeds , West Yorkshire
Apple need to move quickly. No-one outside of the Apple fan base is talking about the iPhone5.....it is seen as a temporary fix to the cries for bigger screen.

Love or hate Android,the pace of development and innovation is beating Apple hands down!

B2k1977

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009
Really sick of it

I'm growing a little tired of Apple's product update cycles. They release a new ipad with minimal processor upgrade, and a new dock connector? big deal. the last iphone came out in the fall, now they're going to move that up and have a 5S? Why is it that they feel the must screw over their customers who go out and buy their toys only to release new ones as soon as the return period expires? Older phones don't seem to hold up as well in reselling. I only was able to squeeze $50 out of a mint condition 32GB iphone 4. ipad mini? $330 and no retina display? You have the technology why aren't you putting it in this device? I really do not like the direction the macbook pros are going, but that doesn't really belong here.....Oh Apple, I hardly reconize you anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.