Next iPods...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by rye9, Feb 3, 2006.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

What could be the next iPods? My thoughts are maybe iPods that receive sattlelite TV? :D :cool: Also, why doesnt Apple make a video iPod with a smaller HD? I would like one but not for so much money. I would definitely pay less money for a smaller HD.

2. chopsuey158 macrumors member

If you want to keep both a sizable music collection and a few movies, you are going to need a decent amount of space. A full movie is at the least .5 a gig, often larger.

As for the new ipods, maybe a larger screen (similar to the psp?), better battery life, larger hard drives (yes, even bigger), but who knows. Just my 2 cents worth.

3. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

How long of a movie do you consider full? Or how long of a movie to take up 512 MB space?

4. igotgame1075 macrumors member

igotgame1075

the only thing with them making the screen bigger, it would lead to more complaints about scratches, and start to transition the device from an mp3 player to a video player.

I think the only thing we are going to see in the next update is better battery life and a brighter resolution screen like that of the zen vision.

5. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I just want a larger screen, better battery life, and no restrictions on the movie file size, as well as 100gb+ space, and maybe sirius hook up.

6. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I want the next iPod to do my dishes and clean my house when I'm not at home.

Come on guys, some of your requests are TOTALLY ridiculous.

7. adk macrumors 68000

adk

How exactly would they price that? $250 for a 15GB? any sort of price drop would completely suck sales away from the nano.

8. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I would like to see 100GB iPods because I already filled my 60GB one...

9. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

Better battery life and black iPod earbuds (w/black iPod).

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

"Hi, I'm Steve, welcome to my weekly podcast, "Super Secret Apple Rumors," featuring the hottest rumors about our favorite company. I have some pretty good sources inside Apple, and this is what I'm hearing; the next iPod will be huge, an 8 pounder with a ten inch screen! ..."

Need I say more? :p

11. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Although this is geared towards a tablet computer, from the info here, we could be looking at an iPod that loses the scroll wheel and incorporates a touch-screen that uses the whole front of the iPod. That way you can use it vertically, like the current iPod for music etc, but move it horizontally to "wide-screen" for movies.

Whatever happens, the 6th Gen iPod is gonna be interesting ...

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I don't think that would be a good design for an iPod. I don't think just a screen would ever work. Look at PDAs most of them need buttons, so would the iPod. And for the iPod, the click-wheel works better than regular buttons.

13. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I think it could work very well for an iPod. If it only uses a click wheel now, a touch sensitive screen would provide the option for more functionality.

It might not surface but it's nice to see Apple are testing this. Be it for iPod or tablet computer, (PDA?).

In saying that, I'm still fond of the click-wheel.

14. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

I think we will be seeing a new 1GB Nano along with some type of video iPod. Probably with a larger screen size and capacity, but then again, we all expected the new 'books to be an intel iBook and we got the MacBook so.... with Steve's unpredictable nature, we dont really have the vaguest idea.

15. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Yeah, they'll recieve sattelite TV! Why doesn't Apple just shoot Steve Jobs in the leg instead?! If the iPod is going to have sattelite TV, why are they selling TV on iTunes? iPods won't have XM or sattlelite TV, ever. iTunes is going to replace that. XM and other sattlelite radio companies aren't even making money off their radio services.

I think that the next iPod will have a bigger screen, bigger hard drive, and it'll somehow be smaller than the last iPod. Touchscreens will be in the 7G iPod, it's too early for it now.

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I think a touch sensitive screen would be over-kill for an iPod, and actually make it slower to move around, change songs, etc.

Think about it....
    With current iPod - all you have to do is take the ipod out of your pocket, glide your thumb over the wheel, click the center, and it starts playing.

With a touch screen - take it out of your pocket, take the stylus out of the iPod, Turn it on, drag the stylus over the scroll bar, click the song, click play, put stylus back in iPod.

It takes longer and requires more thinking.
    It's great for a PDA or tablet, but for the iPod the way it is now, it just doesn't work.

17. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Actually, if you had seen the patent that refers to the touchscreen technology, you'd know that in the patent, the user is depicted as using their finger(s) on the touchscreen. You wouldn't need a stylus:

[​IMG]

But first they'd have to find a way for fingers not to smear the screen.

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I should have looked...

But OH MY GOD! Finger Prints Galore! - I think I would go crazy if I had one of those.

19. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

I am waiting until they get better battery life out of the video ipods... the battery life doesnt seem to great if you watch alot of videos on it.

20. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Well I think it could happen.

How about 800 grams (about a pound and a half).
    10" / 25cm colour touch screen.
    Touch screen with fingerprint free coating.
    At least an 80 gig and optional 120 gig HDD (Laptop drive). Unless its designed to be a inetrface only device and then I guess a 30gig would do or even no HDD at all as long as 4-8 gig static ram for memory like a nano.
    WiFi.
    BT.
    A couple of gig of memory ram for instant on and battery conservation.
    64meg vram.
    Half a gig of ram.
    No disk drive but firewire for remote boot and loading.
    Audio in/out.
    HDMI?

21. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I wan't an MP3 player with FireWire support.

I don't care much for videos, bluetooth, FM radio, line-in recording, touchscreens, or Ogg Vorbis support.

I like my nano. :) Sometimes I wish I still had my mini. Back to basics. Plus that thing was the most rugged sonovabitch ever.

22. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

I'm pretty sure Apple wouldn't release a product that was finger-print-smudge prone. If they had a touchscreen for your fingers I'm sure they'd have some crazy technology to keep it clean.

23. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

24. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I am also hoping for battery life. However I don't know if I am going to wait around for the next Rev. or not. But better battery is always a plus.

25. istonedu321 macrumors member

istonedu321

dont think anyone has mentioned htis yet, but maybe blue tooth, and then blue tooth wireless headphones to go with it. that would be pretty sick.