next MBP only with glossy screen?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pit29, May 23, 2006.

1. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Hey,

I know this has been played over and over, but its so much fun... what will the new MBP be like? OK, Merom. I personally would like to keep the overall desingn and - most importantly - the current screen. Do you think Apple will offer this as an alternative to glossy for the next MBP generation, given that MBs do not have an option anymore?

And another question: I will sell my current PowerBook when I buy a Merom hopefully in September. Whats your guess I will get for it?
    Build August 2004, 15'', 80GB (@5400rpm), 2GM RAM, SuperDrive, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, and it does have AppleCare until Sept. 07 - more than $500?

Pit

2. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I doubt Apple will produce the MPB only with as glossy screen. A lot of people will complain about it, saying that they dislike the reflection on the screen in certain light or whatever. I think it's a lot safer to give people the option of what screen they want.

I personally like the glossy screen, although I have never seen one on a macbook (have to wait another 6 weeks for that:mad: ) People say that it is better than glossy screens on pc laptops, is that true?

I would say your powerbook is worth more than $500, I'm sure you could get about $800 - $1000. Why don't you look on eBay for some prices of second hand powerbooks?

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I find a glossy screen terrible for design. You get a false sense of brightness and colors. I doubt Apple will drop the normal screen on their pro models.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I know. I'm afraid that if I slightly edit the saturation and contrast to look "right" on my glossy screen, it'll look too dull on a "regular" non-glossy screen (which most people still use, of course) since they tend not to be as bright and such.

However, it is brighter and that's usually the main reason why laptops aren't usable outside on the grass on nice, sunny days.

5. pit29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pit29

Well, the plan is to sell my current PB after I have bought a new MBP - probably hard to imagine what the prices will be then...