Next OS X

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by KiDrOck80, Jan 16, 2004.

1. KiDrOck80 macrumors member

KiDrOck80

I know this is WAY to early... but can anyone give an Estimate on when another OS will come out? such as mid or late 2005

2. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

apple releases 10.x updates roughly once a year. 10.2 came out in late august and 10.3 in late october, so sometime in late 2004 is probably the best bet.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think we will see a 64 bit OS this year and the apps to use this OS. am i to optimistic?

4. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

yes you are:)
    there are only the powermacs that are G5 and maybe the imacs soon, but still. leaves out all things besides those. too soon for all 64bit OS.

5. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

I would laugh my beige socks off if the next version of OSX, 10.4, didn't support G4s. 10.4 would be 64 bit and only for G5s. Even once that was released, there would be one or two additional releases of the Panther series for bug fixes, etc.

6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

no word!

however, you have to wonder why there has been NO mention of 10.4 from apple. panther was VERY publicized even as a pre-alpha OS. that makes me leery that it will be at LEAST fall 05 before 10.4 knocks our socks off ;)

7. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

Re: no word!

perhaps because 10.3 is just over 2 months old? you aren't going to sell many copies of 10.3 if you say "just wait until 10.4" 2 months after it's release. apple didn't hype 10.3 until wwdc which was only 4 months (?) or so before the actual GM. microsoft has to hype systems years in advance so that the disgruntled masses will see that perhaps in 2 years or so they're problems will be fixed and put up with xp in the meantime.

8. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

As I recall, nothing about Panther was revealled until the WWDC in June. In fact I think Apple legal even took some action when features started popping up on rumor sites before the show. So until WWDC, you probably won't hear a whole lot from Apple about 10.4 until the show. Why would they promote the next OS, when they want to sell Panther to everyone right now?

However, that doesn't stop the rumor sites from reporting on new features. But that probably won't happen until closer to the show.

9. mcs37 macrumors regular

mcs37

I don't see why they don't simply release 10.4 as a DVD with both 64-bit and 32-bit compilations, or even better, compile it during installation!

But definitely release on a DVD. All Macs can read DVDs now, and having three CD's to swap is silly. We're getting back into those days of 30 installation disks for Microsoft Windows 3.11.

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Not all Machines can read DVDs. As I recall, there are several iterations of iBook (Both Clamshell and Ice/Snow) that only had CD-ROMs, not to mention the iMacs that for two generations only had CD-RWs. There were also the TiBook 550s and 667s that had only CD-RWs until Combos could be made to fit.

I'm hoping that OSX v.10.4 will include both 32 and 64 bit versions of most OSX stuff and some iApps. The one that gets installed depends on the processor detected at startup. Also, many extensions will be recomplied to 64 bit on G4s, and don't forget a 64bit Safari.

TEG

11. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

one good reason is you gain almost nothing from a 64 bit OS at thise point for most users. In fact, 64 bit code in many cases may be slower. a 32 bit Os on the other hand gives you total compatability with existing hardware (the vast majority of OS X users for the next several years will remain g4 users, because of the consumer line and isntalled user base) and prevents needing to test both compilations. Also, I don't know how 32 bit programs would run on a 64 bit OS (maybe it wouldn't make a difference, maybe it would). With both compilations, you also have to do the same for all future updates. what a pain for just about nothing being gained.

12. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

Perhaps Apple (if not with 10.2.4 maybe 10.2.5) will ditch the classic layer. I wonder if doing that would make OS X that much better, as they won't have to worry about adding that code to the system.

Now, if that wasn't insane enough for you, perhaps Apple will add a 32 bit layer. This is how they bridged the transition between OS 9 and OS X. So maybe it's time for the 32 bit bridge.

13. Bear macrumors G3

Ya know something....

The OS doesn't necessarily have to be 64-bit. It just has to be able to support a large physical memory space and 64-bit applications.

And not all applications will benefit from going 64-bit.

And Panther does have some of that support, so it's partway there in my opinion.

The less code Apple needs to change between the G4 and G5 version of the OS, the longer G3s and G4s will be supported by OS updates.

14. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

please correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't classic just a program in the system? when you go to open something that requires OS 9, classic startup comes up and loads. it's an emulator much like Virtual PC.

15. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

Perhaps you are right. I didn't think about classic as an app.

16. Bear macrumors G3

Actually what Classic and VirtualPC do are quite different.

Virtual PC emulates an Intel processor and windows runs on that.

All Classic does is interface between OS 9 and OS X. Much less resources needed to do this.

17. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

my point was that apple had ANNOUNCED os x 10.3 in january. no details were revealed until wwdc, but my point is to suggest a widening of the one-year-os-upgrade schedule

18. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I think waiting until the summer of 2005 would be a good idea. More time to fix bugs prior to release. Less time for Microsoft to copy features and add them to Longhorn. I don't see anything wrong with an 18-24 month OS release cycle.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree that would be an awesome idea. Apple is an innovative leader, since the G5 is 64 bit it needs a 64 bit OS. They should combine them on DVD, the sooner the better. For the Macs that don't have a superdrive they could offer a CD version.

I expect that we will see Mac OS 10.4 this Fall.

20. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

not time frame is expected as of yet from apple, but from what I hear its going to be a great time for developers again....

21. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

well some say fall-winter 04, some say spring 05.. from 10.1 to 10.2 it was like a year or so.. isnt it too much to pay another 100 Euros each year? its like buying a new device each year, do we benefit from OS changes that much?

22. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

A friend of my mother's milk man's dry cleaner said she knows someone who knows Steve Job's pool cleaner's girlfriend... And SHE said Q4 of 2004. ;)