Next Powerbooks: What, When?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by StarbucksSam, Feb 13, 2005.

1. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Okay guys, I'm sure this question has been asked before by people and everyone gets different answers but I am very excited as my Dad told me after the next update, I can get a Powerbook and sell my iMac.

Now, here's what I'm wondering. I'm aware that they were just updated, but he is making me wait, so ... what's next?

I know there is some speculation that the G5 may be released, but it also seems like there is talk of a 7448 G4 that will be the final G4 release in the Powerbook line prior to the G5 updates.

Also, I know that people think there might be a release at WWDC, but I'm also hearing before and after, and nobody seems to know when that is exactly.

I know everything said in this thread will be speculation, but it will make me feel better to have some specifics and not feel in the dark about when I'm getting my next computer.

Parents just shouldn't make their kids wait for things like this. LOL. ;)

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

*sigh* if the last update period was any indication...

last update was little less than a year.. about 10-11 months.. i believe it was in April 2004.. as i got mine in may...

the next update would probably be Dual Core G4 if i give my guess. G5 won't make it in the powerbook. sorry guys. you'll get something new after the dual core chips but i'm doubting ibms' 970. probably stuck with motorola on the portable end of things until ibm can provide something suitable.. which in all likelihood will be something derived FROM the 970. but you won't see it until wwdc 2006 ... so i'm guessing probably MWSF, dual core G4's, they are to be sampled in Q3 this year... which puts them on for release around MWSF

however i could be wrong.. and obviously is speculation on my part, but my last guess was correct, feel free to look back on my past topics, i discredited the G5 claims left and right and i still do

3. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

You know just about as much as we know... hate to say it but all the rumors are just speculation.

It sucks that you'll have to wait, unknowningly when you'll be able to put your hands on that new powerbook, but at least you should remeber that when you do it will be the best of its kind.

And don't worry it'll come.... it'll come :D

4. StarbucksSam thread starter macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I am not liking what I'm hearing. Obviously, that's not your fault. It just is hard to wait for an indefinite period of time for this stuff. My Dad DID say that after WWDC if there were not updates I could get a current one, but... still.

Anyone have anything? LOL.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....new Powerbooks were just released. It is *far* too early to expect any kind of serious answer to your question - anything anyone tells you at this point is only going to be based on their own wish-list and old unsubstantiated info....you are not going to get any reliable info regarding new powerbooks for quite a while.....oh yeah!

6. Woodley macrumors newbie

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

time to chill, your as informed as possible. I also don't think anybody can tell you anything because anybody who knows is under heavy NDA because they're hardware developers, they don't leak stuff. Stuff only gets leaked close to release because its no longer inside of apple. Personally I do not expect WWDC updates, I mean these powerbooks took what 8 months to update ... its going to be a while. You don't want a Rev A G5 powerbook, being the first in the water can make for expensive headaches. Patience is a virtue.

8. Bear macrumors G3

Actually once you've waited until the WWDC you might as well wait for the next announcement. Unless there is definite word (which I doubt) on when the next update will be. Yes, it could be months after WWDC, but you never know.

The truth is, now is a very good time to buy. My policy is when I'm ready to buy, I wait until the next announcement and then order right away. This way I don't worry about what if they update right after I order.

9. StarbucksSam thread starter macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Patience is a virtue that I unfortunately do not possess. Seriously though, I cannot wait until August to find out "January". I'm not up for waiting a year, and I'm trying to explain that to my Dad... oy vey.