Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTurtle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
Arlington, TX
Thanks for the help on refurb or not...

Now the next question, those who have ibooks, 12? or 14? Why did you pick the one you have? Would you change to the other? Why?

I'm really torn here. I like the small size of the 12, but the 14 isn't really that much bigger really. And I can get a superdrive in the 14. The larger display might be easier in the long run to read. I just don't know. I've played with a friends 12 ibook some...

So, convince me folks, which way is best?

My primary uses will be, internet, email, writing papers in college. Maybe a bit of excel work. The odd WoW session. I'll be tossing it in my bag like I used to do with my old Dell Lattitude D505(it had a 15 display.)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I chose 12 inches of glory because it's cheaper, it's slightly more portable, I don't need a Superdrive and it met my needs performance-wise.

I don't regret it and I'd get a 12 inch next time too. :)

Play Ultimate

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
got 12"

The small size and cheaper price made all the difference. Remember the resolution is the same on both iBooks, just that the pixel size is bigger on the 14".
However, at times I wish I had a superdrive only so that I could use DVDs for backup purposes.
Been very happy with the 12" however. Travels well and is easy to use on planes etc.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
12in here also

I got the 12in because it was the perfect size for me. I already have an IMac and that does my heavy duty stuff. The 12in is the perfect size to stick in bag and take to my classes.

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
I bought the 12'' because of its small size. They both have the same res.

I like to look of the 12'' iBook and would not want to exchange it for a 14''

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Will be getting 12", pb though

As for the iBooks, the arguments all point towards the 12". Get the 14 if your sight is a little out, or if you need a portable superdrive.
I think a 12" is nice and you can afford an external DVD burner (such as a lacie lightscribe) for when you need to burn the odd dvd.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
12"

I don't like the form factor of the 14", it looks a bit lazy with the massive gaps on either side of the keyboard - that's a lot of white plastic, it looked a lot better when it was metal. I find the 14" screen fuzzy compared to my sharp 12" one.

Also I only had the money for either the 14" Combo version or the 12" and I was going to have to be lugging it all over Canada and the US so I decided to save some money and weight and get the 12" and some accessories like a digicam, a backpack and some CD's for photo backups. It was a good decision.

londy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2005
louisville, ky
i got the 12. i liked the size, the price, and i didn't need the superdrive. i thought the screen might be too small, but i figured out how to enlarge the screen as needed (and to maximize screen space) so i'm good. i'd go 12 again.

bobjob186

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2005
Laguna Beach
12 for life

Get the 12, max out the HD, and you'll be golden, best deal apple has on a notebook right now. With the money saved you get a 16x external dvd burner from Clubmac for 90 bucks and you're money. Do It.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I actually just got back from a reseller then and I noticed they had the 12 inch and 14 inch iBooks on display, side-by-side. The 12 inch just looks so much neater and I couldn't stand to have such a huge menu bar on the 14 inch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.