Next SuperDrive more flexible

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Wry Cooter, May 16, 2002.

1. Wry Cooter macrumors 6502

I've read recently in some articles which I can't find now, but also prevalent in some discussion at Macintouch

http://www.macintouch.com/dvdstandards.html

Regarding the HP/Compaq merger forcing the writeable DVD drives in Macs by default becoming a Macintosh only phenomenon, rather than shared by others in the Wintel world (which can affect how easy a Mac User might be able to find media, etc...)

Since we are all looking towards a new tower design this summer, do you think a new SuperDrive might be included? Not only faster, as is rumored, but perhaps more flexible as well? Because from some Points of View, it looks as though Apple is bound to have their choice of DVD writing drives ghettoized by the other 90 percent.

Comments?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Whoa... I'm dizzy from reading all that... gimme a second...

Okay. Well. I bought a QS w/superdrive. I'm not gonna buy another DVD burner until this format mess is cleared up. So put me in the "call me when it's done" catagory.

Lethal

3. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Oh man, what an utter mess.

So which do you guys think will win out in the long run? I have a feeling DVD-RW will win out, purely because it has a good grip in the marketplace right now.

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i agree. i don't like the idea of making a dvd with professional dvd authoring software and still having some people not able to view it..

then again, i'm not too worried about it. it's always nice to see drives improve though.

5. Wry Cooter thread starter macrumors 6502

Just for jollies I pulled out the various formats being discussed in the article.
    Do you know which ones your SuperDrive can read or write? Or which are identical? If you went to a compUSA for media, which would you buy?

DVD+R
    DVD+R/RW
    DVD+RW
    DVD-General
    DVD-R
    DVD-R/CDR
    DVD-R/CDRW
    DVD-R/RW
    DVD-RAM
    DVD-Recordable
    DVD-recording
    DVD-ROM
    DVD-RW
    DVD-VR

Apparently Sony and Compaq were both using the Pioneer A03 (the superdrive) as well, but are not any longer. I'm not sure if the A04 or any future planned superdrives for mac desktops are more flexible or not. (the list doesn't really go into CD-r or CD-RW burning). I thought the pioneer mech MIGHT be able to be used more flexibly that Macs drivers allow, from the OS at least.

6. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Hope this helps-

The ones that are supported by sony and hp are

DVD+R DVD+RW

The DVD-R drives can write DVD-RW also and usually dvd-ram.

The superdrive can write

DVD-R DVD-RW (only with toast) CD-R, CD-RW and I'm not too sure about DVD-RAM. I don't think so though.

-Pete

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Here is all I care about. I'm going to use my Superdrive to write DVD-R General Media. My Superdrive cannot write DVD-R Authoring Media, and I don't want to write DVD-R Data Media.

But I havn't heard too much 'bout Data, so maybe that flavor of DVD-R is going away and we'll only be left with General and Authoring.

All the other formats can go to Hell as far as I'm concerned. :) In a few years when one format has returned from Hell to be crowned "Offical Consumer DVD Blank Format" someone drop me an e-mail. ;)

Lethal