NeXT upgrade

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by blakespot, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Administrator

blakespot

Cleaned up my NeXTstation (dusting, compressed air internal blow, etc.) and replaced the 32MB memory w/ 128MB this morning. Did the upgrade on my rooftop porch as the sun came up. Pleasant morning.

Took some shots...

shot 1
    shot 2
    shot 3
    shot 4
    shot 5

blakespot

2. macrumors member

3. thread starter Administrator

blakespot

How do you have mail configured? NEXTSTEP wants mail to work with the box itself being a mailserver, I believe. Is there a way to get mail.app working as a SMTP/POP3 mail client?

I recall spending days trying to config the NEXTSTEP mailserver setup so I could send/receive, but it never really worked. How do you have this setup?

Thanks.

blakespot

4. macrumors member

sure... personally I used postfix (just grab the src and compile and configure it) and PopOver.app (for IMAP/POP3 mail retriever)... if you're game enough, get fetchmail to get your mail in commandline.

5. thread starter Administrator

blakespot

PopOver.app, according to the website, requires OpenStep 4.2. I have NEXTSTEP v3.3 -- will it work on this platform? Did not go OpenStep on my NeXTstation becuase NS 3.3 is more stable and faster.

Thanks.

blakespot

6. macrumors member

7. thread starter Administrator

blakespot

How easy was that?? Works like a charm.

Now about configuring Mail to send SMTP out. I was mucking with the config files a year ago and I fear I left things changed in potentially bad ways. Was this hard for you to config? I will have to do this process on Solaris in a few weeks...so doing this now is actually helpful. Any resources you used here?

thanks.

blakespot

8. macrumors member

Look at Stepwise on docs. on Postfix, that doc should get you somewhere... Postfix is easy to setup. I dun use sendmail these days.

URL: click me

9. thread starter Administrator

blakespot

Are you using your NeXT laser printer as a print server for your OS X machine? Via CAP? Tell me about that. Considering picking up a NeXT printer.

blakespot

10. macrumors newbie

Sendmail

My setup is as follows...

PopOver to fetch my pop3 mail,
    sendmail to send outgoing mail.

I used m4 to create my config files, I used my ISP's SMTP servers from my nextbox (piggyback ride!).

Works like a charm. Let me know if you need more help!

11. macrumors member

Used to do that (pure TCP/IP network no AppleTalk)... until the printer dies on me. Remember, the NeXTprinter are dumb printer (uses the NeXT as its brain, ala old Sun laser printer)! You are certainly better of with the last Apple LaserWriter (like my 16/600PS, more modern, and real network printer: my config 32MB/320MB HDD real PS L2)

I did wrote a how-to on printing to your NeXTprinter from your Macintosh via LPR, back in 1999, see it here

12. thread starter Administrator

blakespot

I gather the Mac side of the printer setup is now handled by NetInfo, under OS X. (According to some folks on the usenet.) The NeXT printer will cost me $25, perhaps--so it might be worth it, if for nothing more than an adventure in trying to setup the config.

blakespot

13. macrumors 68040

mac15

hey blackspot does the thing run well
    I was interested in getting one from ebay or something

14. macrumors newbie

OK Guys....

I'll yake pics of my color turtbo...i feel so left out...

15. macrumors newbie

Almost there...

I've got a nice Black CDROM now for the next. The Command Centre is almost completed. It consists of:

1 21" Hitachi Black Monitor
    1 Turbo Color NeXTstation
    128 MB RAM
    2GB HDD
    2x Apple CD300 (nice and black now...)
    1 Zyxel U-1496E (for sending faxes on the NeXTstation)
    1 Olympus MO Drive
    1 JetDirect w/ Laserjet 6MP

Pics Real Soon Now.