next version of os x

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mith, Dec 9, 2006.

1. mith macrumors regular

well i will for sure get leopard when-it comes out,,i wa just wondering what will happen to all my programz when install it?? cause some of dem can't find the licsense keys , u know if i reinstall dem and all....

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can activate the spellchecker by right-clicking in the message window and selecting Spelling > Check Spelling as You Type.

If you upgrade to Leopard, most of your apps will continue to work (some may need updates for compatibility). If you do a fresh install, then you'll need to reinstall all your apps too.

3. rstorm macrumors regular

If you have purchased additional software that requires a license or key did you not save that information? A simple txt file works great. If not you could try contacting the software company for help.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is no need to reinstall anything.

5. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Some people swear that a complete fresh install is best, but Leopard will also give you the option to upgrade--which will leave all apps and files in the same place they were before.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Off topic, but as I have already replied with (what I think is) useful advice I honestly don't care. I always get irritated when people use words like 'dem', it takes half a second more to type them. This forum is a shining example of those few that have kept to good grammar, and I for one would hate to see that change. A few things really need to be abbreviated as they are just used so often, for example 'apps' and 'IM(H)O', but please learn to type properly, I mean, you wouldn't consider speaking like that, would you?

N.B. Please don't point out grammar mistakes that may or may not be in my post, as that would make me look like the idiot it seems like I am from being one of only two who have posted their irritation.

7. dolphin1 macrumors member

what happens to the old operating system? Once leopard is installed, does it automatically trash the old or do you have to manually trash it all like when downloading a different browser??
    What happens to bookmarks and address book? I've never done a switch like that before.

8. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

I dont get what you're saying, but Leopard will not delete your applications on you if you choose the upgrade method. If you choose to do a fresh install, leopard will format (erase everything off of) your hard drive. It'll be like when you first bought your Mac.

9. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

The scary thing is that I have cousins who do speak like that!! Shudder!

I am behind you 100% on the spelling thing. I'm prone to making mistakes as much as the next guy. That's the beauty of the internet - it isn't after all, a Shakespearian sonnet - but spelling should at least be attempted in a place where everybody else uses the same etiquette.

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I bet they're not mac users though. Are they?

11. dolphin1 macrumors member

Like I said, I've never done it before. For example.... on my old eMac which is running on OS X 10.2.4 -- I wanted to "upgrade" to 10.4 but I found out that I couldn't do it as an "upgrade", I'd have to purchase a whole new operating system. Which I'm assuming would be a complete fresh install -- erasing everything.
    So, going from Tiger to leopard is an upgrade download?? I thought that would be a whole new fresh install. sidenote: do I have the order right?? Tiger to leopard.... Sorry, I don't keep up with the order of the "cats". I call my eMac the "housecat" since it seems so old. It's actually running on Jaguar(I think).
    Do you just have to know what system you're running on or can you find it someplace on the HD where it will say which system the machine is running on? IE: Jaguar, panther etc....
    The confusion I'm having is when do you have to purchase a whole new operating system and/or just downloading an upgrade.
    Hope that made more sense...

12. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Maybe this will clear some things up. You need to buy the Leopard disc (Its a DVD, so if your Mac does not have a DVD drive, call up Apple and they'll swap the DVD for CDs) at the Apple Store or a retailer, for $129 when it is released. You pop it in your Mac, and it'll give you the Leopard Installer, which will ask if you want to Perform:
    Archive and Install -- This method will move your documents to a folder then delete everything else after installing Leopard.
    Erase and Install -- This method will delete everything off your hard drive, then install leopard. The next time you turn your eMac on, it'll be like when you first bought your mac all over again.
    Upgrade and Install -- This method will erase Jaguar off your hard drive, and install Leopard OS. Your applications and documents will remain intact in the same spot. Beware some of your applications may not work until they are updated by the developer.

Either way, yes, you'll need to buy leopard to legally get it.

Hope this helps.

13. dolphin1 macrumors member

yup that pretty much covered it all. I'm always afraid to install or upgrade anything in fear of losing something. I guess backups are a good idea ;) -- just in case.
    When I was having problems with my ibook, I did an archive/reinstall and saw that I have a folder with saved items but now I can't find it... I'll have to search around for it and see what indeed is in there.