Next Xbox to Debut May 12 on MTV

Discussion in 'Games' started by clayj, Apr 11, 2005.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Here's the story. Quite a coup for MTV... normally, this sort of thing would happen at a show of some sort, like CES or E3 (which is the following week in LA).

2. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I was reading that earlier this morning, I think it's a smart move by Microsoft. Not to mention it seems the system that launches the earliest does the best. The Xbox is already the most powerful system in this generation, it will be interesting to see what they do for the next generation (finally, I'll get to play Half-Life 2).

3. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

XBOX 2 more powerful? Have you read the stats of the CELL processor that is in the PS3?

4. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I never said the Xbox 2 was the most powerful, I said the Xbox was for this generation, read my post above.

5. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i havent read the specifics but i have faith the xbox next or xbox 2 or whatever will be more powerful than ps3 and if its not then microsoft is stupid for releasing it.....they arent the top in gaming and if its not more powerful then they are just going to go farther down the ladder :mad:

6. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Sorry, I see now. :)

7. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

It's all good :)

It's always nice to have the "most powerful" game system so when a game comes out on all of them, you can buy the "best" version. I guess the PS3 might be that in the next gen of consoles, with the extra year it will have to come to market.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'll have to tune in and check it out. I've always been a Playstation fan at heart though... plus my hatred for Microsoft doesn't help much when it comes to my feelings towards the Xbox... ;) :cool:

9. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

the xbox was released at the right time, when it had a distinct hardware advantage over all competitors.

the next generation of consoles isn't what people are looking for yet. the current generation still hasn't been tapped completely, by microsoft making this half assed leap they are really going to squander any chance of success.

the ps3 and revolution will have the superior hardware this time around (okay the nintendo probably won't) and I personally will be waiting for the system with the best titles, I could currrently care less about horsepower since few games ever stress a console very much.

make good games = good business.

stuff as many consoles down the consumers throat as possible = bad business.

10. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Well, A Halo game for Xbox 2 will definately push the sales of the new xbox, even if the current one isn't tapped out, at least here in the US. As far as japan goes, M$ hired final fantasy creator to make a RPG for the xbox2 exclusively, so that will help the japan market.

Having said that, I doubt either game will be out for the launch of Xbox 2, so this being the first out of the gates might not help too much.

11. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Well, the PS2 is pretty old and stale by now, it was released back in 2000! It only has a handful of games that can run in 480p (with the surprising Gran Turismo 4 that can run in 1080i) and is definately dated even when compared to this generation's consoles (Xbox, Gamecube). Splintercell on the PS2 definately isn't "pretty."

Two things that Microsoft will be doing is hopefully revitalizing their market in Japan, since there is no way to make a comeback with the current Xbox, and bumping up their next gen console to high definition... 720p. Both are great improvements, with the former hopefully bringing better quality games into the mix.

12. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Pretty good idea to have a dedicated program on MTV - target audience and all that. I'm really looking forward to seeing the specs and how good the games look.

13. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Wait... XBox 2 is coming out THIS may?? Wasn't it scheduled for fall 2005?

14. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

No, it's being publicly demoed. No official specs are even out on it yet.

15. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Anyone know what the XBox 2 and PS3 are going to cost (roughly). I've never owned an XBox or a PS because I hated how my favorite games were not on the same consoles. Some of the games would be only for XBox and my other favorites would only be for PS. I'd hate to spend a ton of money on two consoles to be able to play my favorite games. Do you think game developers will start making new titles that will support both consoles?

16. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Rumors are $300-400... with software titles costing more too (like $59.99).

But those are just rumors.

17. PixelFactory macrumors regular

I would thing the XBox 2 and the PS3 to be around $300 on release. That will probably include 1 controller, no memory stick and no game. As far as games go, Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft will always have exclusive games just to get you to buy their system. A great game can drive system sales such as Halo2, Gran Tourismo and Metroid Prime 2.

18. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I can't wait to see this. I love my xbox, but despise Microsoft. Funny how that works. But this is going to be awsome.

19. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I bought the first XBox and I will buy the 2nd one. The sad part is that I barely use it. :eek:
    I'll have my tivo on for the occasion. ;)

20. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Funny thing is the Xbox division is probably one of the "best" divisions of Microsoft, and if you look at the quality control and customer service of the playstation division, it is probably one of the worst divisions at Sony. Not really a fair comparison, but it's how I feel.

21. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I have read some place that the PS3 will be costing between 299-499 and nothing cheeper and the XBox 360/2 will be inbetween 399-299.

This is going to be interesting to see what prosesser theyre going to have in it. I dont know if I will want Halo 3 on XBox 2/360 or on the regular XBox becuase 6 months ago i got one for Halo 2. (Ive herd rumors of it being relseased in the Fall 05)

22. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I am sure that video will be up on the internet so I can get it, I hope, because I wil probably miss the real thing on TV.

23. Hydra macrumors regular

Hydra

Yep, that's what I'm hoping for as well. Because I'm in Germany and they've probably dubbed the whole show in german so I won't understand a thing even if I had the chance to watch it. :eek:

24. lfielder06 Guest

If you are interested in the best games you must look at the developers list for the xbox 360. There is basically every big name developer scheduled to make games for it. Edit: Here is the list

2KGames
    Activision Inc.
    Atari Inc.
    Bandai Co. Ltd.
    Bethesda Softworks LLC
    Buena Vista Games Inc.
    Capcom Co. Ltd.
    Codemasters Software Company Ltd.
    Eidos Inc.
    Electronic Arts Inc.
    FromSoftware Inc.
    InterServ International
    KOEI Co. Ltd.
    Konami Corp.
    LucasArts
    Majesco Entertainment
    Midway Games Inc.
    Namco Ltd.
    Phantagram Co. Ltd.
    Rockstar Games
    SCi Games Ltd.
    SEGA
    Tecmo Ltd.
    THQ Inc.
    TWP Corp.
    Ubisoft Entertainment
    Vivendi Universal Games In

Also check out this article about what is rumored about the next xbox.

>> From Spong.com:
    Just rumors but interesting to know.

25. applekid macrumors 68020

Definitely an interest move. Should reach out to the public (and even the target audience) much better this way.

I'm definitely watching MS's philosophy. Their whole X-Box Live and HD is required routine and player customizability will be interesting to see in the real world.

There wasn't too much emphasis on gameplay which is disappointing. I was not impressed with the games on the X-Box as far as gameplay is concerned. Sounds like this time's strategy is to once again make everything look pretty and just blow away people with visuals. If it's effective, I can say console gaming as we know it is dead. Too many game developers are all in it for a quick buck by just wowing consumers and not spending time trying to make the game fun.