Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Paolo, May 10, 2002.

1. Paolo macrumors regular

Sep 21, 2001
    The Moon
    I was just reading about the NeXt boxes, and how they were UNIX based machines etc.
    Is this where Jobs got his idea's for OSX? Was he ever planing to release a smooth GUI for NeXt machines?

That may also give insight into os-X- (ne-X-t) the name!?

(Sorry if this should have gone in Software Rumors... it's sort of hardware aswell though... I guess)
  2. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    wasn't next an old sort of computer that stopped production ages ago?
  3. gopher macrumors 65816

Mar 31, 2002
    Maryland, USA
    Actually parts of NeXT are integrated in X

One of the Man pages for a unix command is copyrighted 1992 from NeXT. Don't forget Steve Jobs founded NeXT and Apple bought NeXT to get their Mac OS X development started.
  4. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Nov 30, 2001

...several NeXT engineers were brought to Apple after the buyout. These are some of the topgunners at the UNIX department at Apple, like Avie (a very, very, good man!).
  5. porovaara macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2002

OSX is basically Openstep 5.X (which had names not been changed around with new platforms/dev stuff would have been NeXTSTEP 5.X).

How quickly people forget Apple bought (or paid to be purchased by) NeXT.
  6. eric_n_dfw macrumors 65816

Jan 2, 2002
    DFW, TX, USA
    Re: Uh.

Yes, remember "Rhapsody" - that was OPENSTEP 4.2 for Intel (the last incarnation of the NeXT OS before Apple bought them.)

Cocoa is the OpenStep frameworks with a bunch of new stuff added.

What Apple has done is port the NeXT Mach micro-kernel from Intel/Mk680x0 to PPC (with some help from the MkLinux people I would bet) and replaced OPENSTEP's DisplayPostScript engine with Quartz (display PDF). From what I've read that was less of a technical discision as Adobe was not going to give away that Display Postscript licenesing so they moved to the open PDF standard.

Of course they've done a lot of other things (ie: Aqua, drivers, etc.) but those were the keys to get the first OS X Beta's out the door.

In fact, if you look at the first edition of Mac OS X Server, I beleive it still uses Display PostScript - they just put a Classic Mac OS face on OPENSTEP.