NEXTEL

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Minkintosh, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Minkintosh macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any information about using nextel phones with panther or any mac os for that matter. I have been looking high and low through the internet for help, but I just cannot find anything about it. Any information would help. I am trying to figure out how to sync my phone with the OS. Does anyone know of any developer tools for it or anything. Please help. Thanks :confused:

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

3. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

I have a moto data cable that works with my Verizon v710. At work we have nextels. Tomarrow i will see what happens when i plug it into my PB. Maybe iSync will see it.

4. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

I have been using Nextel for along time and Mac support is almost nonexistant. When we first started, there was a Mac client (System 7 or 8) for sending text messages. Most downloads and other services are web based so they should work with Mac OS. The problem for me was always the data cable. They cables were never compatible with Mac hardware. I was in a Nextel store a few days ago and heard the guys talking about USB cables. So maybe things are looking better. As for synching contacts and calanders, Nextel uses a web based solution that requires their Web service. I've never had a need to bother with these services so I can't speak much about them.

Now that I have one of their newer phones (i830), I might get a data cable and see how Mac friendly Nextel is.

Update: I checked my mailbox today and guess what. Seems Nextel has a problem with their A-GPS which has something to do E911 service. As a result, they sent me a flash upgrade kit that includes a USB data cable. :D That's a $30 cable for free. I'll play around tonight and see if there is anything useful for Mac users.

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I've been trying to use my Nextel with my PB for over a year with no luck! Nobody on the Howard Forums seems to be able to help, nor has the Yahoo group Maccellphone. Smith Micro had a data cable and software that would work with my phone, but it disappeared from their site. I contacted them, and they said Nextel pulled their support. I had a lead at Ross Barkman's Homepage (do a google search), but he had only gone so far as Jaguar, so no help there, either. I think Nextel users are just SOL. My contract is up in a couple of months, and I can't wait to cancel Nextel. Regular coverage is terrible, drop outs, bad connection, etc. I'm ready to move on!!

Good luck!

6. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

I'm with you on the quality of service. If their two-way radio wasn't so vital to my business, I'd switch in a heart beat and never look back.