Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamtore

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Sweden
I'm curious: which apps? On a Nexus device, with a pure Android install, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Nothing seems unwanted to me.

Locations, Messenger, Maps, Hangout, G+ etc. Its all subjective I guess, I use those tho.

I think its worse for the operator forced apps.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Locations, Messenger, Maps, Hangout, G+ etc. Its all subjective I guess, I use those tho.

I think its worse for the operator forced apps.
I see those as being essentially analogous to the ones iOS has by default (which also aren't removable).

I completely agree that the carrier/operator apps tend to be a real pain, which is why I'd not buy a non-Nexus device.

eldo33

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
That's one thing I hate about Apple's product. The shiny shell is next to useless for a regular human being. I prefer holding my e-ink Kindle (rubbery back) than my iPod touch (stainless steel back).

Yes we can buy a shell for the Apple products, but it's still a flaw. Once again functionality loses over looks. These products are made to be used, not to be looked at on a display.

if apple made it the way you want it, i doubt it will sell millions of them. THIS IS WHY CASES ARE MADE TO JUSTIFY YOUR NEED. I doubt i will get an ipad with rubber back like the google one. functionality is great but looks need to accompany it.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
Looks like a pretty solid tablet. But I agree .. blown up phone apps do not look good or do such a great device justice.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Can anyone tell me what apps they are talking about on the Android App store is not available?

I'm just honestly curious, because I have never had an issue finding apps on my Nexus. All the ones I use on my iPhone are either on Android, or something very close to it is available.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Trading in my iPad for a Nexus...after being able to customize the hell out of my galaxy s3 and in turn use it more efficiently...the iPad just feels frustratingly locked down.

I also like grippy rubber like that on the kindle over the cold metal on the iPad.

Apps will follow.

Google wins for my uses.

IMO Apple needs to do something new before consumers begin to shift...perhaps recent management shake-up is indicative of this.

I may do the same. I'm starting to regret buying the iphone 5.
I went with a new iphone because I have the MBP and ipad and liked the sync. But I’m jealous of my friends Galaxy S III

Sensation

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
Im getting the Nexus 4 but do i need the tab. I have the Nexus 7 already. This looks like the best large tablet at the moment. Poor ipad looks so outdated now.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
I may do the same. I'm starting to regret buying the iphone 5.
I went with a new iphone because I have the MBP and ipad and liked the sync. But I’m jealous of my friends Galaxy S III

I would of gotten the S3 if it wasn't so damn big.

If it was a 4'' phone with all the bells it had I would of been holding it right now and not my iPhone 5.

To me a phone should be small.

I would of been fine if the iPhone never got bigger.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Why people still think that customization is only backgrounds and alert sounds?

Try using a different keyboard, a different launcher, a different SMS application, a different browser.

This is cutomization, not putting a different ringtone
I think you are confusing customization with hacking. I did my fair share of hacking in the day on XP with reshacker.exe on the DLLs and EXE that made up the shell. I also used alternate launchers and docks etc.. But I would not classify any of that as customization.

You can jailbreak your iOS device if you really want and do all of that stuff but what is the point? You are not really changing the underlying OS and UI functionality. You are putting lipstick on a pig.

At the end of the day, an OS will pass or fail based on its core functionality and what apps are available for it, not how hackable it is. All of the lipstick will not change the core functionality or lack there of of the OS be it XP, iOS or Android.

I don't know about you but I don't spend the majority of my time customizing my OS. I spend the majority of my time using it. If the platform does not have fun apps and games to use on it then it becomes really boring really fast.

If you like that sort of crap instead of actually "using" it with third party apps then more power to you but I think you are a really really small niche.

Maybe as I got older, I lost interest in that sort of crap. Maybe I enjoy actually using the devices and possibly "creating" the customizations my self within the confines of the base install.

In a nutshell, I've been there and done that. It now bores me.

Exio

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
"...Android does a lot of great things iOS simply doesn't....The Nexus 10 is a great way to watch movies, but there's absolutely no way it's going to replace your laptop the way the iPad could."

The most bias and stupid review writing I have ever read. It's clear that the verge is worried about losing it's good side of apple. Kind of sad, honestly.

The verge also references androids lack of apps. Well, google provides so much support and development help to creators at all levels, and it's FREE. Apple charges you $100 to even start the process of producing apps.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Not an iPad

Hey, Samsung made a tablet that doesn't look like an iPad.

I thought that was impossble!

Exio

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Apple makes the most profits. Apple has the most highly educated and discerning customers.

you just lost all credibility with that statement; however you didn't have much in the first place.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I think you are confusing customization with hacking. I did my fair share of hacking in the day on XP with reshacker.exe on the DLLs and EXE that made up the shell. I also used alternate launchers and docks etc.. But I would not classify any of that as customization.
How is setting different apps as the defaults for things (movies, PDF files, whatnot) "hacking"?

It's no different at all than specifying which app you want to open doc types in OS X. It doesn't require root. It isn't techie. You just load various apps, and if they can open file types or act on certain things, the OS asks if you want to use it once or always, and it remembers that until another such app appears.

It's customization. It's not hacking in any sense.

Exio

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Looks like a pretty solid tablet. But I agree .. blown up phone apps do not look good or do such a great device justice.

Ever heard of vector scaling? All top end android apps utilize this, so regardless of how the image is displayed on screen it never loses it's pixel density. Ie. it can be scaled up and down with no loss of quality.

Exio

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
"'Look how great Android tablets can be,' the company seems to be saying, 'if only you'd make great apps!'"

Maybe if the Android SDK didn't suck so bad, they would! :)

Explain to me why it sucks so bad? It's actually a lot less restrictive and easier to get going than it is with apple.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I don't know about you but I don't spend the majority of my time customizing my OS. I spend the majority of my time using it. If the platform does not have fun apps and games to use on it then it becomes really boring really fast.

If you like that sort of crap instead of actually "using" it with third party apps then more power to you but I think you are a really really small niche.

Maybe as I got older, I lost interest in that sort of crap. Maybe I enjoy actually using the devices and possibly "creating" the customizations my self within the confines of the base install.

Holy heck, that's my thoughts +exactly+. Nice job.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

You can jailbreak your iOS device if you really want and do all of that stuff but what is the point? You are not really changing the underlying OS and UI functionality. You are putting lipstick on a pig.

At the end of the day, an OS will pass or fail based on its core functionality and what apps are available for it, not how hackable it is. All of the lipstick will not change the core functionality or lack there of of the OS be it XP, iOS or Android.

It might be hacking on iOS but it's definitely a customization on Android. On iOS it's hacking only because Apple does not provide you with a way to customize the things you might want to customize. Do you think that all iOS users have the same preference for keyboard? Born this way?

And no, Android users do not spend the majority of their time customizing OS. They do it once (or when they feel like it) and they enjoy customized environment whereas iOS users spent all their time using what Apple gave them. Not all of it is pure joy.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Competition is good.

I don't think that the 10 is as good as the iPad 4, but at $100 less, and with a compelling (but not necessarily as good, depending on your needs) set of features, it's certainly worth a look. Stereo speakers are a definite plus, as is HDMI out.

I still see the iPad 4 as the best option, even given the $100 difference, but this is the first tablet I've considered even worthy to compete in that size range, and it out-Retinas Apple.

More so, it has no "legitimate" Eco System. If Google can ever get the users to agree to a lock down system Apple will be concerned.

Until then it a nice 10" Tablet without an Eco System. Google should have taken control 2 years ago. :apple:

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
if apple made it the way you want it, i doubt it will sell millions of them. THIS IS WHY CASES ARE MADE TO JUSTIFY YOUR NEED. I doubt i will get an ipad with rubber back like the google one. functionality is great but looks need to accompany it.

If Apple wants their tablets (especially the Mini) to compete with the ereaders, having a rubber back would help. Yes, we could buy cases, but it's nice not having to worry about that option. That's why so many ereader users are upgrading their devices to the ones with built in front lighting. One less accessory to buy and attach to the ereader.

I could tell you that cutting the weight in half of the iPad makes me inch closer and closer to using a Mini as a replacement to my Kindle. I have an iPad 2 and tried using it as a reader but the weight and feel was a big reason why I just quit trying.

sfjava

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
The Nexus 7 is not a "relative" success, it's almost up to selling a million a month

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/10/30/asustek-nexus-7-sales-approaching-1-million-a-month/

And while it is true that the so called eco-system is lacking, Google is making a lot of headway with affordably priced products. Think about it, $349 for an unlocked 16GB Nexus 4 compared to a $649 16GB iPhone 5 is such a steal. Android is still developing itself, but is become better and better with each OS update, and it's only a matter of time before they are on par with iOS. I wish more tech companies would take the reasonably price route instead of following Apple's lead in the "premium" market.

But Nexus doesn't have a LTE chip, thus it is not really a steal at $349.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
That should make the web happy today. A new google anything makes all the screens look extra white. ;)

----------

But Nexus doesn't have a LTE chip, thus it is not really a steal at $349.

Dont say that. Greatest phone ever! You know they didn't cheap it up to hit that mark at all. It's google man.....google.

Last edited by a moderator:

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
More so, it has no "legitimate" Eco System. If Google can ever get the users to agree to a lock down system Apple will be concerned.

Until then it a nice 10" Tablet without an Eco System. Google should have taken control 2 years ago. :apple:

Which parts are missing in Google ecosystem? I can't find any. I can see a lot of deficiencies in Apple ecosystem. To name a few: missing file system in iOS, missing support for BLu Ray, missing support for NFC, only one phone model, no phones with OLED screens, no mobile devices with expandable memory, no phones with better than 8MP resolution, no multi-SIM phones - the list is very long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.