Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
If Apple released the same device for $300, most people wouldn't complain either.

Perhaps, or they'd call it the iPad Mini. :cool:

Really though, we well know that Google releases these devices on almost zero profit margin, so the price argument is not the primary one. This is supposed to be state of the art for Android devotees.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Thats a big problem with Android. The software isnt optimized to run on the hardware of every Android phone but you would figure it would be optimized to best run on Google's own phone. Apparently not. iOS is designed to run on Apple's Ax processors and it makes a huge difference. Having owned 7 Android phones in the past and now owning an iPhone 5, I am still surprised at how blazing fast it is doing everything.

Benchmark programs are not made by Google

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
And what makes you think that the OS doesn't work best with the hardware?

The extremely poor benchmarks of the N4. Apple doesn't make benchmarks either but that doesnt stop the iPhone and other iOS devices from doing very well in these tests.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Screen on time posted by XDA member.

8049607056_b655e44cef.jpg

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Do you remember the poor benchmarks that the first dual core Galaxy had? When the benchmarks were updated to take into acocunt the two cores, they skyrocketed.

So you are blaming this on quadcore processors? LOL The N4 has nothing brand new. The HTC One X has the same processor and so does the LG Optimus G and both perform better. the N4 is just a flop in performance but thats also why its so cheap. You get what you pay for.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
You get what you pay for.
In this case, half as much for something that is, for me, 100% as usable and just as well-designed.

However, my battery needs are less. I agree that's a major shortcoming of the N4, if it's not addressable with a patch.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
In this case, half as much for something that is, for me, 100% as usable and just as well-designed.

I agree and for most people buying the N4, those becnhmarks won't matter much, especially at its price point.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Despite the crazy benchmarks, I'm seeing a vast overall improvement compared toy Galaxy Nexus (which is to be expected given the specification disparity).

Everything from 3g performance, camera, 3D processing and overall fluidity is better.

A worth upgrade if there ever was one IMO. To all that think it isn't good enough, enjoy your Lumia's, iPhone's or BlackBerry's.

It's a very competitive market out there, you can't really go wrong!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-15-17-31-49.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-15-17-31-49.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_2012-11-15-06-15-49.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-15-06-15-49.png
    343.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_2012-11-15-17-36-35.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-15-17-36-35.png
    205.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_2012-11-15-17-36-41.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-15-17-36-41.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_2012-11-15-17-36-48.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-15-17-36-48.png
    195.3 KB · Views: 112

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Perhaps, or they'd call it the iPad Mini. :cool:
Nexus 7.

Really though, we well know that Google releases these devices on almost zero profit margin, so the price argument is not the primary one.
For the Nexus 4, the price argument is the main argument. That's what is generating so much interest in the device.

This is supposed to be state of the art for Android devotees.
Nexus devices never have the latest hardware. They are about delivering the vanilla Android experience.

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
So you are blaming this on quadcore processors? LOL The N4 has nothing brand new. The HTC One X has the same processor and so does the LG Optimus G and both perform better. the N4 is just a flop in performance but thats also why its so cheap. You get what you pay for.
You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

The Nexus 4 uses a Snapdragon S4 pro Quad core processor whilst the HTC One X and optimus G use the Tegra 3 processor.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Despite these benchmarks, Anandtech goes on to praise the device and the software.

Unless there's a specific reason these benchmarks are deal-breakers, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm also not sure Anandtech has the final build. Regardless, based on everything that I'm reading, it sounds like this is something that can improve through updates from Google (again, Apple sends out patches, fixes, battery improvements, etc. to their iPhones and Macs too).

It's not uncommon for new devices to run into snags. The iPhone had plenty, and still does (the latest being the rapid-swiping screen issue; and the largest being antennagate. I didn't see a lot of iPhone fans abandoning Apple then...).

Having said that, Google still has much to learn, especially regarding launches (what a debacle).

----------

You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

People really need to stop taking michaeljohn seriously. I'm not allowed to use the big bad "T" word but if you look at his post history, it's really hard to draw any other conclusion why he's here at the Alternatives.

He claims he's here to discuss consideration for the Note II/Droid DNA, yet he expresses very clearly that the lack of updates and fragmentation are one hundred percent deal-breakers; wholly unacceptable. He also demands that the Nexus 4 have speedtests conducted from who knows what location, but will ignore that the Nexus 4 is the better choice for other users outside of where he lives, saying that's irrelevant to him.

Last edited:

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Was actually thinking about jumping ship from the iPhone 5 to get this, but anandtech's in-depth review shows that iPhone is still king.

Very odd how poorly this device performs when it's specs on paper seem to outshine the iPhone 5 in a number of ways.

Seems that time and time again, no matter how impressive the specs of a phone are, it means nothing if the OS isn't properly optimized for the hardware. Keep in mind that the iPhone outpaced the Nexus 4 in these and many more tests with a dual core processor up against the quad core found in the Nexus 4...

These benchmarks were inaccurate. If you want to post benchmarks that have sinse been re-examined and found faulty, please notify everyone that what you are posting is not final release data. Even Anandtech is keeping quiet about what looks like a bad review on their part. Doesn't look like their benchmarks were able to successfully read OS 4. 2 or the new 28nm quad-core SoC. Who knows, but they seem a bit perplexed. New data for production units are showing results like this everywhere:

geekbench.jpg

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
These benchmarks are from beta units running beta software. If you want to post pre-release benchmarks, please notify everyone that what you are posting is not final release data. Even Anandtech is keeping quiet about what looks like a bad review on their part. New data is showing results like this everywhere:

You're 100% sure the Anandtech final review is still based on beta software? Do they mention it in the review? I've yet to read the entire thing.

Google advertises that talk time is 15+ hours. Anadntech's results are half of that. I know marketing may puff things up a bit, but that disparity is huge. It leads me to believe Anandtech is not running the latest software.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
These benchmarks were inaccurate. If you want to post benchmarks that have sinse been re-examined and found faulty, please notify everyone that what you are posting is not final release data. Even Anandtech is keeping quiet about what looks like a bad review on their part. Doesn't look like their benchmarks were able to successfully read OS 4. 2 or the new 28nm quad-core SoC. Who knows, but they seem a bit perplexed. New data for production units are showing results like this everywhere:

Even the current review with a "final build" takes a beating from the iPhone5 in nearly every test.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

Nexus 4 has nothing new? Snapdragon Quadcore S4 Pro CPU? True world phone, usable on any gsm network? Android 4.2? Higher pixel density than the iphone 5? Dual-band wifi?

As for performance, it is the first phone to break the 2000 point mark on the Geekbench 2 test. It is also slightly faster than the ip5 in graphics getting nearly 40fps in GLBenchmark.

And the Nexus 4 has sold out in minutes in every country it came out in, including the US. This phone is already a success. I wonder if you called the ip5 a flop with the graphical pixelization issues, the iOS6 app failures, the dent and scratching issues, the audio stream bug that downloads audio streams over and over again, the excessive noise generated when the phones vibration hardware is activated, failure to detect quick scroll inputs, and so on?

I don't own a Nexus 4, nor will i ever, but it isn't like the iphone is the greatest thing since sliced bread. A little perspective shows it to be far from perfect.

----------

Even the current review with a "final build" takes a beating from the iPhone5 in nearly every test.

Please post links. Every one i have pulled up is not showing this.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
You're 100% sure the Anandtech final review is still based on beta software? Do they mention it in the review? I've yet to read the entire thing.

Google advertises that talk time is 15+ hours. Anadntech's results are half of that. I know marketing may puff things up a bit, but that disparity is huge. It leads me to believe Anandtech is not running the latest software.

No. I edited my post. Saying" Beta unit/software" was not accurate. A little more digging on my part looks like Anadtech got an "early" version of the phone where the cpu thermal throttled at a very low setting. We'll know more after today once the xda devs crack open the kernal.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
It is also slightly faster than the ip5 in graphics getting nearly 40fps in GLBenchmark.

----------

[/COLOR]

Please post links. Every one i have pulled up is not showing this.
Mind posting links? Every graphics test except for Egypt Classic has the iPhone 5 destroying the Nexus 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.