Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steviewhy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011

Attachments

• Nexus-7-Melted-Down-3.jpeg
    Nexus-7-Melted-Down-3.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 503
  • Nexus-7-Melted-Down-1.jpeg
    Nexus-7-Melted-Down-1.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 165

Renzatic

Suspended
Holy crap, that's not overheating, that's straight up combusting. How does something like that happen?

edit: read the article (yeah, I should've done that before I commented). That happened just from letting it charge for 3 hours? Scary stuff.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
The only part that could get that hot is the battery. I have a nexus 7 and it runs considerably cooler than the last 3 phones I have had.

Regarding the photo/story.... be careful... (Samsung) busted a guy about a year ago who claimed that his phone had melted. It turns out that the guy had put in in the microwave and tried to make an insurance claim on it. I think this was in the UK?

steviewhy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
The only part that could get that hot is the battery. I have a nexus 7 and it runs considerably cooler than the last 3 phones I have had.

Regarding the photo/story.... be careful... (Samsung) busted a guy about a year ago who claimed that his phone had melted. It turns out that the guy had put in in the microwave and tried to make an insurance claim on it. I think this was in the UK?

I actually just read that article about the microwave incident myself. In any case, my Nexus 7 is running beauty. It was more just a heads up. It's probably an isolated incident, since any equipment can malfunction at some point.

For myself, I'll just not let mine charge unattended until I see more about where this story goes.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
That only happens when you have a defective battery. Remember several years ago when Sony batteries were exploding in laptops? I'm sure ASUS will investigate it. Typically a battery will do that when there's a short inside the battery.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This happens on occasion to a lot of devices. There's been reports of many phones doing it including the iPhone. First time I've seen it on a tablet though. I guess the bigger the battery the bigger the damage, yikes.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
...I'm never gonna sit my iPad in my lap again. :eek:

I never heard of it happening with an iPad, but a few times with iPhones while they are in someone's pocket. I've heard Apple replaces these pretty quick with no/little charge to the customer.

waltercln

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
I leave my phone charging over night since forever with no issues and this happened after only 3 hours? Not buying it. Faulty battery or something isn't being told.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.