Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Agree. A real shame if the nexus 5 is geared toward more mid range with missing features. Would be a mistake by Google.

If true, it'll be the S6 until 2016. Small chance anything else will pull me away from it this year. The nexus 5 and iPhone 6s has the best chances.

Well latest rumours are the LG Nexus will have the 808 SOC, which could be very good as the 810 overheats and a leakster has stated the 820 also overheats, although that could be made up info, but you never know..

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Well latest rumours are the LG Nexus will have the 808 SOC, which could be very good as the 810 overheats and a leakster has stated the 820 also overheats, although that could be made up info, but you never know..
The 808 seems like a weird choice, wouldn't we just be better off with the 805 in the nexus 6? I've read the gpu is better in the 805

Edit: Ah the 808 is 64 bit unlike the 805, that is probably reason enough

Last edited:
Reactions: saintforlife

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
The 808 seems like a weird choice, wouldn't we just be better off with the 805 in the nexus 6? I've read the gpu is better in the 805

Edit: Ah the 808 is 64 bit unlike the 805, that is probably reason enough

The G4 hums along very nicely in all the videos I've seen of it and it has the 808.
I didn't deal we the G4 is the same size as the Galaxy Note! I know which I prefer and its the Note, its screen is amazing. May be worth checking out the Note 5 if they do keep the removable back. Saw a video of one running the Google launcher and its pretty smooth.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Here is the latest rumor....

Huawei’s Nexus phone might not be a powerhouse after all
Renowned leaker Evan Blass, aka @evleaks, got people talking earlier this week when he suggested the Huawei’s much-rumoured Nexus phone would use Qualcomm’s high-end Snapdragon 820 chip.

But according to Chinese analyst Pan Jiutang, that’s just not possible. Apparently, the Huawei Nexus can’t possibly use the Snapdragon 820 because Qualcomm isn’t shipping it until December.

Based on rumours, the Huawei Nexus certainly ranks as a phablet, packing a hefty 5.7-inch screen and QHD (1440 x 2560). Tipsters also reckon we’re in store for a built-in fingerprint scanner, allowing you unlock the phone with a mere touch.

It will certainly be interesting to see where the new Nexus fits in the series, though. After all, the Nexus 7 name is already taken by Google’s tablet. Some say they might just use the Nexus 5 name again and keep going recycling the same three numbers, but we’re not so sure.

http://www.t3.com/news/huawei-s-nexus-phone-might-not-be-a-powerhouse-after-all

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
An alleged nexus 5 2015 case

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 206

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Nexus 5, you're our only hope.

I'm finished putting any hope into the Nexus program. Every year, we spend months hoping this next Nexus will be 'the one', the unlocked, stock Android device to end all others. And every year, IMO, it's a let down. With no track record of putting out all around, high quality devices, why do we keep doing this? There are always a few things that keep it from being great.

I'll be ecstatic to finally see a top notch Nexus phone but I'm not counting on one, much less hoping for one. I'd wager the best 'Nexus' device we'll see this year has already been revealed...the Moto X Pure/Style--and even that has some clear shortcomings (size, for those hoping for a non-phablet, lack of OIS in the camera, no fingerprint scanner). But I seriously doubt Google will give us better devices at the same price point.

Reactions: epicrayban

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm finished putting any hope into the Nexus program. Every year, we spend months hoping this next Nexus will be 'the one', the unlocked, stock Android device to end all others. And every year, IMO, it's a let down. With no track record of putting out all around, high quality devices, why do we keep doing this? There are always a few things that keep it from being great.

I'll be ecstatic to finally see a top notch Nexus phone but I'm not counting on one, much less hoping for one. I'd wager the best 'Nexus' device we'll see this year has already been revealed...the Moto X Pure/Style--and even that has some clear shortcomings (size, for those hoping for a non-phablet, lack of OIS in the camera, no fingerprint scanner). But I seriously doubt Google will give us better devices at the same price point.
Pricing is another issue altogether. I don't want a overpriced phone that lacks features most other flagships phones have just for the pleasure of "pure Android" experience. I don't want to give up features just for that bragging moniker.

To me this is what is wrong with Android today. There is no general direction from Google. They leave it up to the OEMs and it leads to fragmentation.
IMHO Google needs to get a list a features most customers want in Android. Wont be able to get them all. But still get more than it has now.
Push all updates to Android phones from Google itself. Bypass carriers and OEMs.
Tell OEMs this is it. This what you get. If you need to add features or an Android Skin......make it an optional download
from the OEM. Done!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Pricing is another issue altogether. I don't want a overpriced phone that lacks features most other flagships phones have just for the pleasure of "pure Android" experience. I don't want to give up features just for that bragging moniker.

To me this is what is wrong with Android today. There is no general direction from Google. They leave it up to the OEMs and it leads to fragmentation.
IMHO Google needs to get a list a features most customers want in Android. Wont be able to get them all. But still get more than it has now.
Push all updates to Android phones from Google itself. Bypass carriers and OEMs.
Tell OEMs this is it. This what you get. If you need to add features or an Android Skin......make it an optional download
from the OEM. Done!

I hear ya jamezr but it's never gonna happen. Here's a response I made in another thread to just about the same suggestion:

Problem is two-fold. How can Google demand anything when Android is open source and available to any OEM? Sure, they could change the conditions of Android's use and try to play hardball but it goes against the very nature of their business model. Google doesn't see the profit margins from hardware that Apple (or even Samsung) has and needs eyeballs on their services for their income. They need the volume of users and alienating OEMs risks big drops in users. Tighten the reins and exert more control and Android becomes more like iOS, exactly NOT was many Android users (and especially the purists) want.

The second element of this is the nature of the carrier/OEM relationships and contract system here in the US. OEMs need their handsets front and center in carrier shops here in the US. Unlocked devices still don't have widespread appeal and simply don't sell well here. If they want their devices in retail stores, they have to play ball with the carriers...meaning they have to accommodate their software requirements. Apple is the only exception to this rule because 1) iPhones are the bestselling phones in the US and 2) Apple customers don't behave like your typical consumer. They will follow the iPhone anywhere and if carriers try to enforce their will on Apple, Apple moves on because they'll still sell the phone..only that customer will now be using a different carrier.

Any way you slice it, changing these conditions is going to significantly impact Google (upset consumers or upset OEMs).

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
So what size will the LG Nexus be? (Assuming Huawei make a big 5.7" one or whatever).

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I think I am ready to give make compromises for the nexus 5 2015 this year. No other phone gets support on par with nexus. For me its not only about pure Android, but you know your device will be updated, from security issues to new versions of the OS.

It will feel like a new phone a year from release at the next software version and again at year 2.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Completely agree. I'd have no problem paying flagship pricing for a Nexus, if it actually had the hardware to complete with other flagships. The Nexus 6's chief Android competitor is the Note 4 and frankly, it doesn't measure up--not in battery, display, camera--3 of the most important areas of performance, IMO. So if you want a native Android experience, you have to suffer with hardware shortcomings--all for roughly the same price.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I think I am ready to give make compromises for the nexus 5 2015 this year. No other phone gets support on par with nexus. For me its not only about pure Android, but you know your device will be updated, from security issues to new versions of the OS.

It will feel like a new phone a year from now, when the s6 is almost forgotten by Samsung

But is that really more important than the user experience the 99.9999999....% of the time when you're actually using the phone? Sure, it may feel like a new phone but it'll still be a phone that doesn't perform as well as its competition.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
But is that really more important than the user experience the 99.9999999....% of the time when you're actually using the phone?
Software experience and updates are very high on my priority list personally if that's what you're asking.

I'm pissed that my gs4 GPE is EOL at 5.0 when it can easily run 5.1.1 and beyond. If it was a nexus it would be.

Reactions: tbayrgs

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Software experience and updates are very high on my priority list personally if that's what you're asking.

I'm pissed that my gs4 GPE is EOL at 5.0 when it can easily run 5.1.1 and beyond. If it was a nexus it would be.

Yeah, it's a double edged sword for certain. And that's the frustration that both myself and jamezr (I believe--don't want to put words in your mouth ;)) are expressing. Why do we year after year have to suffer with subpar hardware to get the optimal software experience? Just once, I'd love to see top notch hardware paired with stock Android. Just once please.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Yeah, it's a double edged sword for certain. And that's the frustration that both myself and jamezr are expressing. Why do we year after year have to suffer with subpar hardware to get the optimal software experience? Just once, I'd love to see top notch hardware paired with stock Android. Just once please.
I agree and would love a premium hardware nexus model.

It sounds like the LG nexus is more on the budget side anyway, which I am prepared for. Just give me reasonable battery life and a camera nexus 6 or better and I'll be good to go. I've already been debating if the moto g is good enough for me.

If I insist on premium hardware, I'll probably go back to ios, maybe z5 compact. Yes that is a shame.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yeah, it's a double edged sword for certain. And that's the frustration that both myself and jamezr (I believe--don't want to put words in your mouth ;)) are expressing. Why do we year after year have to suffer with subpar hardware to get the optimal software experience? Just once, I'd love to see top notch hardware paired with stock Android. Just once please.
My feelings exactly. Maybe they will get it right this time. Not sure. I thought Google was going to do this with the Moto acquisition. Control the process from end to end and show everyone how it COULD be done. But that never happened.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

It will feel like a new phone a year from release at the next software version and again at year 2.
I've had two updates for my GS6. For for 5.1.1 and one from T-Mobile for battery performance. So its not like I'm not getting support and this phone has a lot more features that I like. Not sure if I'll go back to a Nexus, especially if the price is where the way too big Nexus 6 was at.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Agree with everybody. If the new Nexus phones come with compromises, as it does every year, it'll be an easy pass.

Like I said, it'll be hard to dethrone the S6 this year.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I've had two updates for my GS6. For for 5.1.1 and one from T-Mobile for battery performance. So its not like I'm not getting support and this phone has a lot more features that I like. Not sure if I'll go back to a Nexus, especially if the price is where the way too big Nexus 6 was at.

That's fair enough and I can totally respect that. I doubt next year will be similar though. Updates will slow down and there will be a new version of touchwizz that the GS6 wont get, so it will look dated against the new models, at least if the past is any indicator. At the two year mark support will be terminated completely, even though the phone should work for 4+ years since android system requirements are mostly going down, not up. It's the planned obsolescence that pisses me off most about non nexus, definitely worse than iOS, even with ios' partially forced updates

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.