Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
The new Nexus phone you wanted last year might launch in 2015
https://plus.google.com/+ArtemRussakovskii/posts/cf7ZgPNrH4x

Multiple rumors originating from China have claimed that Huawei might be one of the companies shortlisted by Google to make its 2015 Nexus smartphone. Others said that two smartphone makers will release new Nexus handsets this year, noting Huawei and LG as the possible candidates. A new report now indicates that for the first time ever, Google may indeed launch two Nexus smartphones this year, with LG likely making the Nexus phone many fans wanted to see released alongside Motorola’s Nexus 6.

That’s about to change this year, Android Police’s Artem Russakovskii wrote on Google+, saying that he can confirm, with help of a trusted source, that a 5.7-inch Huawei Nexus is indeed in the making.

“What’s more interesting, the source also mentioned a second Nexus phone this year – an LG, with a planned 5.2″ screen size,” he said. “If Google indeed rolls with both, it’d be the first time two Nexus phones came out in the same year – a strategy that makes a whole lot of sense to me as not everyone is into behemoths like a Nexus 6.”

Also at the upcoming Google I/O, they will preview the next Android OS = Android 5.2 'M', which will most likely be launching on the new Nexus phones this Fall.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
NOOO!!!!

Because 5.2" is STILL too big. It should be the same 4.95", 5" at a push but the body should be no bigger than the Nexus 5.

Also it HAS to have a much bigger battery, because the Nexus 5 battery life is awful. Oh and it needs to be more durable and made from better quality materials I think.
And it has to have the same camera as the new G4 has because that's getting a lot of praise, I believe it's a Sony module too :)

Those are my thoughts as a Nexus 5 user on what it should have...

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
NOOO!!!!

Because 5.2" is STILL too big. It should be the same 4.95", 5" at a push but the body should be no bigger than the Nexus 5.

Also it HAS to have a much bigger battery, because the Nexus 5 battery life is awful. Oh and it needs to be more durable and made from better quality materials I think.
And it has to have the same camera as the new G4 has because that's getting a lot of praise, I believe it's a Sony module too :)

Those are my thoughts as a Nexus 5 user on what it should have...

Dunno, very happy with the size/ergonomics of the Moto X 2014 so much so that I have been using it more over larger devices I have.

I have gotten to the breaking point with the Nexus 6, size coupled with its weight. The Note 4 works better for me in the phablet department, least we not figure that is what the Nexus 6 is. :)

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Dunno, very happy with the size/ergonomics of the Moto X 2014 so much so that I have been using it more over larger devices I have.

I have gotten to the breaking point with the Nexus 6, size coupled with its weight. The Note 4 works better for me in the phablet department, least we not figure that is what the Nexus 6 is. :)

Nope, it's bigger so is too big I think. But we will have to wait and see anyway I guess. I can't see them going 5.2", I think 5"?

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Nope, it's bigger so is too big I think. But we will have to wait and see anyway I guess. I can't see them going 5.2", I think 5"?

I can easily see a 5.2 Nexus. The LG G2 is 5.2 in screen size but felt like a 4.7 or 5.0 LCD sized phone.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Hasn't nexus cameras been historically bad?

Not the last 2 phones no, the Nexus 5 has optical image stabilisation and is capable of some cracking shots, but when I use mine for video it can get very hot and the battery drains in no time...

The Nexus 6 has a pretty capable camera too. Now imagine if they put the camera from the LG G3 or G4 in a possible Nexus 5 replacement and it'll be incredibly good.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Nexus 5 with updated camera (sub f2.0 aperture)
Updated Qualcomm CPU, Larger battery, 3GB ram, EXACT same screen... Away with this 2K display nonsense. A nicely calibrated 1080p display is all you need right now and the next few years.

Keep the build plastic, but a nice shape of plastic...

Sell it at $350 - $399

And you'll get yourself a hit.

Seems easy no?

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Nexus 5 with updated camera (sub f2.0 aperture)
Updated Qualcomm CPU, Larger battery, 3GB ram, EXACT same screen... Away with this 2K display nonsense. A nicely calibrated 1080p display is all you need right now and the next few years.

Keep the build plastic, but a nice shape of plastic...

Sell it at $350 - $399

And you'll get yourself a hit.

Seems easy no?

That seems about right, except change the RAM to 4GB.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Is it me or will they never get it right with the Nexus? Bland software, underperforming batteries, low quality cameras, tons of bugs, and not enough Nexus exclusive software features to make it a viable flagship that's mainstream. The Nexus 6 took everything to the "decent" range, but not "iPhone/Note/S contender."

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Cool, id be interested in the 5.2" but there were some things i didnt like about the LG Nexus 5. The lack of volume was a biggy and the vibrate was really weak to name two things but those were the biggest. The Nexus also is left off of phones tht are supported that will work with some things like Airline WIFI systems.

Little things that bugged me about it. Also i hope the price comes down. I will not buy a Nexus phone that has a huge price tag like the Nexus 6.

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Nothing was said about quick or slow updates in what was initially quoted:

That was in reference to the "full of bugs" comment. I was saying...at least Apple was quick to take care of them. No software of going to be perfect. If we are talking about buggy software, then Android L takes the cake. And yes, I know because a majority of my smartphones last year were Android.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
OK, I would accept a 5.2" Nexus with...

The same size as the LG G2 as that is nearly a completely bezelless 5.2" device, a high build quality with metal edge, the latest gorilla glass, a 2900 or 3000 may battery, snapdragon 810 with 3gb ram, 32 and 64gb storage option, sealed back, thickness of around 8mm to fit the bigger battery and make the camera flush, install the camera and sensors from either the LG G3 or G4 with sapphire lens cover, sell it in the same colours as the Nexus 5, wireless charging, latest LTE modem.
A 2k screen would also be very nice, but I guess a 1080p would do too, either IPS or OLED.

Note I said a device the same size as the G2, because devices like the Xperia Z3 are 5.2" but are for me too big. Will be excited to see what they announce now :)

Don't forget the possible Xperia Z4 Compact announcement tomorrow.

----------

That was in reference to the "full of bugs" comment. I was saying...at least Apple was quick to take care of them. No software of going to be perfect. If we are talking about buggy software, then Android L takes the cake. And yes, I know because a majority of my smartphones last year were Android.

Well when your update breaks cellular functionality on a mobile phone the update to fix it had better be quick!!
IOS 8 is stuffed full of bugs, more then Lollipop that's for sure.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
OK, I would accept a 5.2" Nexus with...

The same size as the LG G2 as that is nearly a completely bezelless 5.2" device, a high build quality with metal edge, the latest gorilla glass, a 2900 or 3000 may battery, snapdragon 810 with 3gb ram, 32 and 64gb storage option, sealed back, thickness of around 8mm to fit the bigger battery and make the camera flush, install the camera and sensors from either the LG G3 or G4 with sapphire lens cover, sell it in the same colours as the Nexus 5, wireless charging, latest LTE modem.
A 2k screen would also be very nice, but I guess a 1080p would do too, either IPS or OLED.

Note I said a device the same size as the G2, because devices like the Xperia Z3 are 5.2" but are for me too big. Will be excited to see what they announce now :)

Don't forget the possible Xperia Z4 Compact announcement tomorrow.

----------

Well when your update breaks cellular functionality on a mobile phone the update to fix it had better be quick!!
IOS 8 is stuffed full of bugs, more then Lollipop that's for sure.
That's beside the point.

My point being: Apple is quick with updates. Since you were quick to throw that out there, Google isn't any better. It took nearly 6 months to fix that ridiculous memory leak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.