Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
A brief refresher: Project Fi is Google’s attempt to provide the be-all-end-all for your smartphone needs. It’s a mobile virtual network operator, or MVNO, that switches between T-Mobile, Sprint, and Wi-Fi intelligently so that you have the best service between the three

Bleh, Tmobile and Sprint, I wonder if that's why it's so cheap. I've had issues with both of them.

And wi-fi. Google is mapping public no-PW-req wi-fi hotspots for seamless switching. For me, I have good wi-fi available 90%+ of the time. Fi is no contract service, so you can take your Nexus phone elsewhere at any time if you're not happy.

Reactions: Surf Donkey

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
All of the US Nexus 6Ps are sold out except 32GB Aluminium and Graphite.

Nexus 5X's are shipping before October 22nd in the US.

If you want a 6P, better order one now...

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Who has Discover? Is the Google Store compatible with the 5% cash back promo for fall shopping? I'm trying to decide which credit card is best to use for the 6P.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
All of the US Nexus 6Ps are sold out except 32GB Aluminium and Graphite.

Nexus 5X's are shipping before October 22nd in the US.

If you want a 6P, better order one now...

Phew!
Got a tip from someone on reddit that the shipping times were getting longer and I put in my order yesterday. Only bought the 32gb aluminum which they seem to have the most of but still...

Estimated Delivery is Nov 18-20th. Kind of long but I'm actually ok with that because it gives me time to see real reviews and impressions from the first wave of users with enough time to cancel my order if needed. I've already returned 2 phones (Moto X 2014 and Moto X pure) in my quest to finally find a replacement for my busted Nexus 5 (still running so well but the glass is shattered).

Hopefully the Nexus 6p lives up to the hype!

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Phew!
Got a tip from someone on reddit that the shipping times were getting longer and I put in my order yesterday. Only bought the 32gb aluminum which they seem to have the most of but still...

Estimated Delivery is Nov 18-20th. Kind of long but I'm actually ok with that because it gives me time to see real reviews and impressions from the first wave of users with enough time to cancel my order if needed. I've already returned 2 phones (Moto X 2014 and Moto X pure) in my quest to finally find a replacement for my busted Nexus 5 (still running so well but the glass is shattered).

Hopefully the Nexus 6p lives up to the hype!
That's crazy, ordered mine two days ago with a Nov 10-12th ship date. I'm somewhat surprised this devices just "sell out"

mjcharlton71

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Pulled the trigger on a Graphite 32GB 6P a good few days back... fully clouded, so the 64/128 thing doesn't bother me.

Cheap silicone/polycarbonate case turned up a few days back, which is canny big... made me think it's _too_ big, but then I found my old Nexus One case and realised it's all relative! Really looking forward to getting my fingerprints on this beast now.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
The 6P is now showing as "unavailable in your country" (Canada).
No approximate availability date shown either.
Sigh, maybe in January or so...
How does Google manage to Eff-up every Nexus phone launch, year after year?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
THey'll be up on swappa the first week anyhow. The n6 was up the first week for about $50 less than list price, plus no tax. It baffles me why these people don't just return their phones, but oh well.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The more I think about it the more I want the 6p. I don't mind waiting for reviews though and the verdict on the 810 and overheating.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The more I think about it the more I want the 6p. I don't mind waiting for reviews though and the verdict on the 810 and overheating.
Thats my position as well. I am interested in the 6P but want to get some feedback here from people that will be getting the phone.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
After using the Z5 Compact over the weekend, I'm steering clear of anything with an 810 in it.

The 5X is probably a better shout.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
After using the Z5 Compact over the weekend, I'm steering clear of anything with an 810 in it.

The 5X is probably a better shout.

Just posted the same thing over in the Z5 compact thread--I'm genuinely worried about 6P performance considering the 810 seems to be a dumpster fire (pun intended ;)) anywhere it's used, and the fact that so many OEMs seemed to have steered clear of it altogether.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Just posted the same thing over in the Z5 compact thread--I'm genuinely worried about 6P performance considering the 810 seems to be a dumpster fire (pun intended ;)) anywhere it's used, and the fact that so many OEMs seemed to have steered clear of it altogether.

You know when manufactures start to highlight copper heat pipes and liquid cooling solutions in phones then their is a huge problem with heat build up.
And this is exactly what Sony And Microsoft have gloated about with their latest 810 powered devices...

A phone or tablet should just have a heat sink or shield and that's it, end of, if you have to then resort to elaborate cooling solutions, your either making a laptop hybrid like the Surface range or your chip is way way way too hot and will just waste it's efficiency.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
You know when manufactures start to highlight copper heat pipes and liquid cooling solutions in phones then their is a huge problem with heat build up.
And this is exactly what Sony And Microsoft have gloated about with their latest 810 powered devices...

A phone or tablet should just have a heat sink or shield and that's it, end of, if you have to then resort to elaborate cooling solutions, your either making a laptop hybrid like the Surface range or your chip is way way way too hot and will just waste it's efficiency.

Well in Microsoft's defense the 950XL is supposed to run universal apps through continuum as a full PC so might need that extra cooling. It will also let you run the external desktop and the phone concurrently, which will probably cause some heat buildup as well.

I'm actually surprised the 950XL didn't use an Atom CPU.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The 6P is now showing as "unavailable in your country" (Canada).
No approximate availability date shown either.
Sigh, maybe in January or so...
How does Google manage to Eff-up every Nexus phone launch, year after year?
They don't. OnePlus messes up their launches every year.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Finally placed my order for a 32GB. My dates are mid November, though. I may even forget a ordered it and it shows up one day.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Damn it. The Nexus 6P is totally sold out in the UK and I was looking forward to ordering one. But I couldn't order it when it was first made available because I wasn't sure at the time whether I would have the money available.

The same thing happened when I bought my Nexus 4. Took a month or two to be able to order one which was a real pain. Hopefully it won't take that long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.