NFL and Cable TV

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by seabass069, Aug 31, 2006.

1. seabass069 macrumors regular

Does anybody know why Comcast does not allow their subscribers to pay for a subscription to watch all the NFL games? Direct TV has this option. I can't believe that only Direct TV is allowed to provide this service. One would think that the NFL could make a fortune by allowing cable companies to get access to all of the games.

I do not know if this has been a topic before. I tried the search and came up with nothing.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Direct TV is the only provider of this no other cable or satellite provider has a contract with the NFL.

I believe when the new NFL TV contracts were written last year Direct TV was granted an extension on the exclusive agreement.

3. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

the thing that worries me is the NFL Network. The NFL sells the broadcast rights, and the networks buy because they know they can pull in monster ad revenues by showing the games. Pretty soon the NFL is gonna figure out "hey, if we just broadcast the games, we can keep all the ad revenue, and pocket the subscriber fees at the same time."

My gut feeling is that, eventually, the NFL Network is going to be a pay-per-view service. You wanna see a game? You pay $17.50 (or whatever) to get the broadcast. IMHO, that would freakin' suck.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

NFL Network here is on digital cable so you have to pay extra to see those games already, But I do see the NFL really heading in that direction of pay to see. But they will keep it on network one for ad revenue and two for the better HD content.

5. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

we don't even get it here...not even offered. Crap.

and I'm already gonna hafta miss the first half of the Steelers/Dolphins game because of my night class. Lame.

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

The NFL has a history of setting their sights on exclusive contracts and very very tight control. On one hand I don't like that they stifle competition (ie. when they signed exclusive rights to EA Sports for video games), but I also don't like it when businesses or products are sticktly driven by cheap prices. I already have Direct TV and get the game package so it doesn't bother me, but the NFL should work at keeping most of the games free to all in my opinion. they make plenty of money how it is now.

Go Chiefs!!

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Im wondering about this new TV deal, I wonder if Sunday Night Football will last, Im not gonna sit and watch football for 12 hours. I liked the Monday night format. The flexible schedule is gonna be interesting as well.

8. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

yea, I like the Monday night game starting earlier, that's for sure. Football's cool, but staying up until midnight (or later) to catch a game when you've got school/work the next day isn't that great.

the flexible schedule is freakin' dope. Last year..Week 11 was Minnesota vs. Green Bay; Week 14 was New Orleans vs. Atlanta; Week 15 was Green Bay vs. Baltimore...3 perfect "who gives a ****" games. It'll be great to watch a meaningful late-season game in prime time. My only beef: I wanna score tickets to see Pittsburgh/Carolina in Charlotte...if that game gets moved to a Sunday night/Monday night, it could totally screw me. So it goes...

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Try watching the NFL in other countries...

I rarely catch the Sunday/Monday night game live since it doesn't start til 2am.

Even heading out to a bar to watch the 1pm/4pm games (which here are 6pm/9pm) games is getting harder to justify. I used to go into Central London to watch with pals but not getting home til well after 1 started to take its toll. Unless it's a cracking lineup, I suspect I'll be watching more at home again since the bar no longer get any additional games. No DirectTV or NFL Network over here... I only have satellite TV so I can watch the NFL

10. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

is it popular in Europe? Pro football I mean? I'd heard it was popular in Germany (controlled violence popular with the Germans...who would've thought) but I dunno about elsewhere.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not massively... no. The NFL get most money for broadcast rights from the UK since there are two networks who show it and another who would like to.

In Germany, while live football is more popular than in the UK (although that's partly to do with NFL Europe politics :rolleyes: ), they get less NFL shows.

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

NFL Sunday Ticket (not the NFL Network) is an exclusive deal between DirecTV and the NFL. I'm fairly sure that DirecTV pays the NFL an exorbitant sum of money in order to keep the deal to lure subscribers (it's how they got me, it sucked being a Packers fan in Dallas) and to charge fans even more exorbitant fees to watch the games. On the one hand it makes it easy to shoot down cable TV or competing satellite providers when they try to push their service, but it does limit my choices.

On an interesting note the Sunday Ticket package is more widely available in Mexico and Canada where I believe it is carried on the major cable providers than it is in the US where is is restricted to DirecTV customers. Not to mention it's cheaper as well ($179 Canadian vs $220 American).