'NFL Now' Launches on Apple TV With Breaking Football News and Highlights

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 20, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The National Football League earlier this month officially launched its NFL Now service, its next-generation video streaming service that provides access to the largest digital library of NFL videos available online. The video content can be viewed on the iPhone, iPad, Mac (via a web browser) and other connected devices such as Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and as of today, the Apple TV channel that was leaked earlier in the month.

[​IMG]
    The NFL Now service delivers historic videos, breaking news, game highlights and original programming from the NFL Now studios. Personalization is a key feature -- allowing users to follow their favorite players and teams, with up to 4,800 minutes of team coverage being pushed across their screens each week. The service also will provide live video coverage of important press events and other important moments from the NFL. It will not live stream NFL games that are in progress. Customers who want to watch games as they are happening must download the NFL Mobile app [Direct Link].

NFL Now is available in two tiers, with the free NFL Now service providing access to the core news and video content. Football fans who want even more content and personalization can subscribe to the $1.99 monthly NFL Now Plus service, which offers instant in-game highlights, access to NFL Films videos and the ability to create custom video streams featuring their favorite teams or players.

iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users can download the NFL Now app [Direct Link] from the iOS App Store for free. Mac users can get their fill of NFL coverage via the NFL Now website, while Apple TV channels can access the new channel directly from the main screen on their set-top boxes.

Article Link: 'NFL Now' Launches on Apple TV With Breaking Football News and Highlights

2. macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

if only we could watch live games via ATV

3. macrumors 6502a

Wait, did I read that right? A channel that gives you a channel-only subscription model? There are precious few of these, and I don't care what content they're delivering, I support this model.

4. Eduardo1971, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014

macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

A NCAA version of this would me most welcome. It would be awesome to see regional divisions like the Pac12 on AppleTV.

5. macrumors newbie

come on Apple

who cares!! we want iplayer and spotify, give us something worthwhile....pleaaaase. A great piece of hardware but not very well supported for the UK

oh yes and please re-add a volume control!

6. macrumors 6502

A step in the right direction...

7. macrumors 6502a

1 more step towards Sunday Ticket. I can't wait for Directv to lose that deal.

8. macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Haha, never going to happen, better buy an HD Antenna and hope and pray the signal doesn't cut out every 2-3 seconds.

9. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

So...a collocation of 3 minute clips? I suppose at $1.99/month I wouldn't expect much else, but still... it seems more fitting for a youtube channel than a monthly service.

Ah well, I guess now Apple can add "NFL" to the list of things you can access on the Apple TV... never mind what everybody will assume that means. :rolleyes:

10. JAT
    macrumors 603

Hope and pray? Maybe you should buy the right antenna.

11. macrumors 68000

BJMRamage

i was hoping to get the full episodes of these and then EXTRAS for $1.99/month.
    not simply pay $2 a month to see everything.

that stinks. i was excited but will pass.

12. macrumors 6502a

Suture

I couldn't agree more. NFL games are the only reason I subscribe to DirecTV. If it wasn't for that, I would have cut the cord a long time ago.

13. macrumors 6502a

happydude

another in a set of useless major US sports apps. the super fans may like the instant replay and highlights, but they've gotta get off this old model of not allowing online streaming of live games. i know they kind of do in some cases, but then they don't for people in the team's media market, which never made sense to me. why would i buy an expensive online subscription when i can't even watch my home team.

more of a general sports and online content rant, but this nfl app seems more of the same. just let us watch the games we want to online, please.

14. macrumors member

eiuro

This is a welcomed step in the right direction. We are getting closer to a la carte style TV streaming. Pay x amount of dollars for the specific channels you want only. This is great!

15. macrumors 604

bushido

whatever happened to that The CW channel that was announced over a year ago btw?

16. macrumors G3

Wake me when we get Sunday Ticket. Until then, pbbbb.

17. macrumors newbie

Football ? Don't you mean hand egg :cool::p

18. macrumors regular

iSteve-O

I'm done pretending to like soccer.

Time for some real football.

19. macrumors 6502a

get out of here. it’s football, period.

BTW, i watch live nba games on apple tv. There is no NFL live subscription? Like league pass?

20. macrumors regular

Need to add ATV as a supported console

Now that you don't need sunday ticket anymore, all we need is for the NFL to add the ATV as a "console" https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/nflws/ and we are good to go!

or just enable airplay on the mobile apps but that won't happen

21. macrumors 68040

Strange, maybe you should trek over to antennaweb and figure out what the RIGHT antenna is for your area. By buying the right antenna, I rarely every have problems with signal (no worse than having a dish anyway). I've been Cable free for 2+ years and have saved about $2k.

22. macrumors newbie

what ever makes you feel safe at night :D:D:D

23. macrumors 6502

SuperMatt

I don't understand why I can get Sunday Ticket for my Mac, but not for the Apple TV. DirecTV should be figuring out they could deliver their entire service over the internet instead of via satellite dishes. Use their competitors' (Comcast etc.) bandwidth to sell their own service!

24. macrumors regular

DJsteveSD

keep adding stuff!! :)

25. macrumors regular

Baby steps....

The Apple TV -subscription model is taking shape surely, but slowly. Of course the content is important, but i believe that iTV is going to be much bigger, and more advanced, than any one of us can even imagine.

:apple: