Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
NVidia launched nForce2 today:

nForce2 continues Nvidia's venture into the risky but potentially profitable business of chipsets, chips that bridge a PC's processor with key components such as memory. Nvidia last year signed a licensing agreement with AMD to create chipsets that work with the company's Athlon processors.

nForce was rumored (Aug 31, 2001) to be coming to other platforms.. but little details except for hints from NVidia about "exciting introductions" in the Mac area.

Vague rumors were also circulating about an Apple / NVidia alliance... but seemed to be more speculative.

Steve Mason noted this interesting blurb on NVidia's nForce 2 Features page:

Digital Vibrance Control (DVC)

Allows the user to adjust color controls digitally to compensate for the lighting conditions of their workspace, in order to achieve accurate, bright colors in all conditions.
Currently this feature is not available on Mac systems.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
woo go steve :D, (steve is a good friend of mine whos really into macs)

this is what he also said will be featured in the chipset:
Dual channel DDR400, AGP 8x, ATA133, USB 2.0, Dual Ethernet, APU for nforce

i posted bout this on the windows forum i'm a newsposter/mod for...even tho most ppl there hate macs lol

http://www.ixcstudios.com/nforcemac.jpg
pic of the thing bout mac
thanx to for telling me ;) steve

foniks2020

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2002
So this means the rest IS available. If they are singling out one feature to say it isn't available for Macs, doesn't that mean the rest are?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by foniks2020
So this means the rest IS available. If they are singling out one feature to say it isn't available for Macs, doesn't that mean the rest are?

That was actually the whole point of the original post. :)

arn

M_T_Air

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Wahooo!!!

Ahh..finally..only 8 hours 'til the keynote and we finally have a decent lead... boy that was a long dry spell without any decent rumors. Now I won't be able to sleep tonight... :) I'll be too excited about the upcoming powermacs to be announced tomorow!

fitzg2md05

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2002
wow

I would **** my pants (in a good way) if Nvidia produced the Mac motherboard. With that amazing memory and controllers etc, i think the real benefit of slightly faster processors would be huge! Nvidia graphic cards, motherboard, etc. Maybe we might have to start saying Nvidia Inside™? as long as apple keeps up its standards in terms of quality, this would kick arse. Drooling....

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Whee! Now the disappointment will set in if this is not what Apple is going to use.

People must have thought I was nuts when I posted this early this morning as my guess for it to be used on the new systems since no one ever responded to it. Now I have new rumors to support my rumors. ;)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/7713/

imacman287

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
nForce2 Flash Demo

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver on appleinsider:
Go to this page

http://nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=feature_dmg

Click on the nForce2 Flash Demo and then on Consumer Solutions and then on Home Office. This brings up a set of images. The second one on the left is clearly iPhoto.

Smoking gun?

Wow it sure is! hummmm....
(let the flash demo picture cycle through btw)

EDIT: fixed link

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Sweet! Please oh please be in the new iMac!

Okay, so I'm setting myself up for disappointment. But, it's a dream worthy of dreaming. * Dream progress, price tag floats around in imagination. Only $99. Aaaah. * Dream abruptly ends as another minute until MWNY passes by.

Heinrich-X

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
www.blackproject.org
Well in light of my story getting posted I signed up :D

I think it only makes sense for nForce to be on the mac platform.

It's integrated features are perfect for the iMac and its robust performance give the Powermac a much needed boost.

Anyway if Apple does infact use nForce and maybe IBM POWER4 down the line you won't have to wish for OS X on x86, x86 will be obsolete! ;)

Anyway kinda bummed I couldn't get a plug for my website http://www.ixcstudios.com :rolleyes:

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
I'd still try to keep feet planted in reality. Pictures don't really mean anything or we'd already see x86 laptops and desktops running Mac OS. Plenty of ads by marketing departments have used Mac screenshots and overlayed them over photos.

Of course, I'm all for seeing the nforce 2 make it to the Macs and I think it's favorable if there's any gleam of truth to previous rumors.

Reading what I'm typing though I have to laugh at the fact I'm recommending to ignore photos for proof but consider the rumors that have circulated. There's just something kinda ironic or something about that. :)

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by Heinrich-X

It's integrated features are perfect for the iMac and its robust performance give the Powermac a much needed boost.

Anyway if Apple does infact use nForce and maybe IBM POWER4 down the line you won't have to wish for OS X on x86, x86 will be obsolete! ;)

Anyway kinda bummed I couldn't get a plug for my website http://www.ixcstudios.com :rolleyes:
yo bud!
welcome to mac rumors
i hope u actually post on this forum unlike the "other" forum ;) that u hate so much now :p
now u dont have to worry bout getting flamed bout macs cuz everyone here is a mac fan just like u n me
-enjoy
G01D

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
if this motherboard is used it will most likely be a less powerful version with 4x agp instead of 8x. it would be smartest to use an integrated solution like this in something like an iMac, not a PMac. Dedicated video cards with no chance of conflict with integrated hardware are the pros way to go.

ultranoia

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Dumb question

Pardon my ignorance, but if PowerMacs were to go with the nforce2 as the motherboard, would that mean that the G4 chip would not be needed in those machines? Or is the G4 chip necessary for other sorts of processing tasks, which aren't necessarily graphical?

imacman287

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Dumb question

Originally posted by ultranoia
Pardon my ignorance, but if PowerMacs were to go with the nforce2 as the motherboard, would that mean that the G4 chip would not be needed in those machines? Or is the G4 chip necessary for other sorts of processing tasks, which aren't necessarily graphical?

The nForce motherboard has built in sound, built in video (on some models), DDR support and more.

Just drop in a cpu (such as a Athlon XP, or G4), DDR Memory and the usual standard parts and you have a full computer.

A CPU is needed, just as it is needed on the current G4,iMac, ect motherboards.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Re: Dumb question

Originally posted by ultranoia

The G4 is the main CPU, so it is definitely necessary...

Are you a PC user who is looking to switch?

imacman287

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
AMD also?

Also the nForce2 was built to work with Hypertransport, Apple and AMD are two companies that support it. Could Apple be working with AMD on a PPC compatible processor to use in a new nForce2 motherboard?

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by Heinrich-X

Welcome to macrumors and thanks for spotting that blurb that was posted from their site. I merely had a guess early this morning that nforce 2 was going to be used but you may have found the actual proof. Congrats! If all else fails, you've got people pretty excited here right now. :)

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
People keep in mind that you shouldn't take everything literally. Nothing says that Apple won't just use some of the technology like the chipset and bus with their own motherboard design. That's what I would expect from Apple quite honestly based on their past history.

jethro421

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by sparkleytone
Dedicated video cards with no chance of conflict with integrated hardware are the pros way to go.

Having an original nForce board in my PC, AND a geForce Ti 200 as well :D, I can tell you that this won't be an issue. The mobo searches the AGP bus first and if a card is present, disables the onboard gpu. Also, when using the onboard gpu, the system's memory is allocated as video memory.

One more thing... With two identical RAM stix installed, the data path increases from 64-bit to 128 . These boards scream!!! Please let this be true.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
If this is true...

...everybody had better quit whining about the pro line for a long time. Dual channel DDR 400..... mmmm..... 6.4GB/sec ......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.