NFS Carbon (Wii)- don't get it

Discussion in 'Games' started by seenew, Dec 26, 2006.

1. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

It's too hard, and not fun. I asked for it for Christmas, wanting a "deeper" racing game than Excite Truck, but this is just terrible. The controls are awful, and everything besides that is just lazy porting. Stay away from this game.

I'm going to see what I can get for a trade in and put some cash with that to get Monkey Ball or Excite Truck or something. :\

2. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I agree that the game is mostly blah but try it on control scheme 5...It isn't as bad as trying to control it with the Wiimote sideways...The career mode is interesting as well..Overall, I think it is more crappy than Red Steel though. Single Player on Red Steel has so much potential but the controls are always in the way.

3. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I have monkey ball and it's super hard -- but still fun. :D

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The PS3 version isn't too bad. I got it on sale for $39 @ Target today. Off topic Target has a few decent deals on games today :)

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

NFS: Underground, MW, MW2, and Carbon all suck.

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Yeah, we rented NFS for the wii and hated it. Finally got to try out excite truck at gamestop and went ahead and bought that - MUCH more fun and easier to control.

Although I have heard that doing NFS using the nunchuck + remote instead of just the remote sideways is a lot more fun, though I never had the chance to try that out for myself.

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

If you have Windows on your iMac Core Duo I'd have suggested trying out the PC demo first. That's what I did (it crashed the first time I ran it though :rolleyes: )... not too impressed... never have been by the NFS series though. But it did have nice graphics.

9. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I'm really hoping the Wii delivers a worthwhile game besides Wii Sports and Zelda to hold me over for Mario.

Does anybody know when Metroid, Mario Galaxy, and Smash Bros comes out...and is there any game I should be excited about that's coming out for the wii that I didn't mention?

Sorry to thread crap OP :eek:

10. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I just rented Excite Truck and have to say it is very worth while. I think it is the best 2 player game besides Wii Sports that I have played and a blast to play one player! I rented Rayman Raving Rabbits, Red Steel, and NFS Carbon and own Zelda and think Red Steel is the next best after Wii Sports, Excite Truck and Zelda with Rayman and NFS trailing....but I need to play Rayman more before I can say for sure that I don't like it...

11. v-ault macrumors regular

I wouldn't get Wii in the first place. There's a reason why people are buying plenty of wii games. It's because wii games get so tired and repetitive that you want to buy a new game to try out the new control scheme on it. Wii felt phony and boring after a week. It doesn't remind me of a true console; it reminds me more of one of those gimmicky atari game things available at toys r us or something to play all the old games. It has that not really a console feeling, just like one of those atari things available at toy 's r us or whatever. The thing is, people are falling for it and it can only hurt the gaming industry. If nintendo takes market share this gen, then we can expect underpowered consoles for the next generation after this. We can expect Microsoft and Sony to come out with some console with: cheap hardware, weak specs, and some other gimmick that's so "intuitive". IMO, it's taking gaming to the wrong place. By the way, I had a wii but I sold it. My opinions are not just empty.

12. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Wow...I totally disagree...I haven't had this much fun since my original NES...I am telling all my friends to get Wiis...Maybe it just my age (25) but IMO the 360 and PS3 are great machines with bland games. So far, Wii Sports, Zelda, and Excite Truck are all games that don't feel gimmicky and I could play many times over...The problem with the Wii is that many of the launch titles are ports with tacked on controls so they do feel gimmicky but the games that are developed from the ground up are ground breaking IMO.

13. v-ault macrumors regular

I played excite truck at my cousin's house for a long while. Most of the maps looked nearly identical, and I found myself wanting to just relax and use a regular controller after a few races. Zelda is a good game, no doubt, but I easily would prefer it with a regular controller and great HD graphics. I would also like a lot better sound from a game like zelda, not some gimmicky sound from the remote every time Midna had something to say. Slashing my wii controller didn't make the game any more intuitive for me. Playing Gears of War feels intuitive. The great graphics keep me engaged in the game, the amazing weapons/graphics, the way the locust look, great sound, amazing effects with the great game play. That was engaging, but if you're talking about a system with a remote you have to swing all the time with bad sound/graphics, it's not really engaging at all. I can't comment much on wii sports other than it's a fun game for all, but it really is not a gamer type of game. I'm scared that if Nintendo gains market share, then next generation, most of our games will be stuff like wii sports.

14. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Gears of War is a great game (IMO, probably the second best of year after Zelda) but it just feels like another FPS with better graphics...Also, it is too short and has very little story. I agree that Zelda should have voice acting and Excite Truck can be repetative but Excite Truck shines in multiplayer and sound is the least important part of Zelda IMO. The controls on Zelda aren't any more intuitive but when you are hacking away at a boss they drag me into the action a little more than just button mashing would...I guess we are just different types of gamers...I've been gaming for about 18 years now and find the Wii very refreshing and not too gimmicky at all. The Wii, too me, is the perfect arguement as to why graphics aren't really that important.

I even actually enjoyed playing Red Steel, even though it is very rushed with crappy comic book cut scenes and difficult tacked on controls. It is easy to see the potential should a developer actually get the controls and graphics perfect on a Wii game. Using the Wiimote to aim seems far more intuitive than the stupid analog sticks but it hasn't been perfected yet.

15. v-ault macrumors regular

yeah, I agree that we might have different tastes. Gears of War is not a FPS, though. It's a 3rd person shooter with a very unique cover system. The amazing graphics alone make gears of war that much more engaging for me. I have a question, though. Do you think the wii's controller fun is ever going to wear off? It wore off in a week for me, and my wii was just sitting there for about a week not being touched much at all except for the occasional tennis in wii sports. The supposed old control feel of a xbox 360 is more than made up through online multiplayer. That's one of the funnest parts of console gaming now. I probably will buy a wii again, Just for super smash bros. online and that's all. Hopefully nintendo fixes their online system for that.

16. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

For me, I don't really think it will wear off. I have a DS Lite and games like Trauma Center make that system shine. The Wiimote works but hasn't been fully developed in most of the games that are out now. Future games should get only better and use it much more effectively. In particular, FPS games should improve dramatically. Also, I really like playing the VC games from my youth. There are already about $40 of games worth buying on there if you like classic games and there will be a ton more before Nintendo is finished.

Graphically, the Wii has nowhere to go but up. It should top out at games looking slightly better if not significantly than the Xbox which is about the same as 360 games look on an SD set. Resident Evil, Disaster, and Sadness are all games which might push the graphics on the Wii...Hopefully, they are good.

The 360 does have excellent online multiplayer which I like but I'm at the point where I would rather have a bunch of friends in my living room playing than against them online and I doubt that we would ever have lan parties anymore so the Wii will probably shine in this area. I can't knock the 360 as it is an excellent console for gamers who want great online play and HD graphics but the Wii is special because it really is innovative and includes tons of nostalgia value with the virtual console.

About Excite Truck, it has 20-30 tracks but they are spread out among only 5 locations. If they make a sequel then hopefully they will have more locations. There are probably not that many because it is a launch title and they had to get it out the door. Still the amazing sense of speed will keep me coming back to this one...Also, the computer opponents get very hard after the gold level races.

17. v-ault macrumors regular

Cool, it's nice you get a nostalgia value from the virtual console. IMO, I'm a lot different than other people. I really don't get a nostalgia value from playing the old nes/snes games. I just feel like it's outdated and boring. I don' t know why, I'm just like that. And about excite truck, a lot of the tracks looked the same, in my opinion.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I posted that days ago when I said I'm not convinced the wii remote is suited to precision driving.

All the racing games at launch

Cars, GT Pro, NFS Carbon, Monster 4x4 are terrible to control in comparison to an analogue stick control.