NHL lockout

Discussion in 'Community' started by jxyama, Dec 17, 2004.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    one beneficial aspect of NHL lockout i just realized... all the hockey games containing last year's stats will be "up to date" for two years instead of one! :p

but seriously... it's such a sad situation. :( there's no end in sight... and hockey might just "die" in the U.S...
  2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    Gary Bettman never wanted a deal. He wants to break the union whatever the cost.
  3. keysersoze macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    true... and how many people will actually care?
  4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    It's an organization devoted to dental trauma research. :rolleyes:
  5. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Apr 11, 2002
    National Hurling League

Bettman won't negotiate, and that's the problem. He will be the first sports commissioner (or whatever he is) to lose an entire season to a lockout.

I don't see why they couldn't have accepted the NHLPA's offer which included the salary rollback, as a temporary solution that would last a couple of seasons, while they worked on a long term plan to be implemented after that. It would save the season, and at least make the NHL look like it gives a damn about its fans. I just hate the Rhetoric coming from the NHL right now, about how everything the NHLPA does is a ploy for sympathy. Maybe he's right....OR maybe the NHL is simply not comprimising on revisions to a contract that they agreed to many years ago. If they're in a jam it's nobody's fault but their own for allowing the situation to get where it is today. What the NHL has failed to realize or take into account is, while it stinks that the players can't play right now, and they are losing money...they can still play hockey...be it for the AHL, or any of the European hocky teams, which many players are doing this year. The players will always have a place to play, even if it's not where they'd like to be...the NHL is not the only option for them. Let's see the NHL try to survive without the players though.

In the beginning, I thought the players were just being greedy. But the more crap I hear from and about the NHL, the more I'm starting to think they are just turning their backs on the players and fans. they don't want to comprimise, they don't want to hear other solutions. They aren't negotiating over the CBA...they are trying to bully the other side into backing down and accepting their terms.
  6. Squire macrumors 68000

Jan 8, 2003
    I felt the same way. At first, it was hard to sympathize with players making $9-11 million a year. However, after this last proposal, I've started to side with the players. It's the fault of the Colorado, Dallas, Detroit, and New York team owners (to name a few) anyway. I don't see why they couldn't make an inter-team agreement to just keep the salaries down.

It sucks that there won't be hockey this year. Next year? Who knows? It must really suck for the young guys who don't have a few million stashed away in the bank.

7. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    if they explicitly did that, owners would get sued for collusion/anti-trust behavior...
  8. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    I miss hockey so much this year... :(

The only sport worth watching if you ask me.
  9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    I miss hockey about as much as the next critical Windows update on my work PC.
  10. urban1985_ macrumors regular

Dec 7, 2004
    Burnaby, British Columbia
  11. stcanard macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2003
    And that, in a nutshell is the problem.

Here in Vancouver hockey is solely missed. The Canucks are so popular that the lack of games has had a serious impact on our hospitality industry (restaurants, bars, even taxis have been affected).

Yet the whole situation has been created out of an attempt by Bettman, who really, truly, honestly, does not understand hockey to bring it to a bunch of people who don't care.
  12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    It is true. Bettman is a horrible commissioner. investors should really start up a new league, with the NHL players. the NHL is dead.
  13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    I miss hockey, i was exciited that i was going to college in boston and watch a team win (i'm normally a ranger fan :eek: )