NHL Lockout

Discussion in 'Community' started by makisushi, Nov 4, 2004.

1. makisushi macrumors 6502

Anybody else here care about the NHL Lockout?

2. takao macrumors 68040

takao

what's that ?
    (which means perhaps: no)

3. reckless_0001 macrumors 6502

Darn Rights...

Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! Where are you Hockey!?! Hockkk-eyyyy!

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I pray for Gary Bettman's death.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

I've never been a huge hockey fan, but I care simply because it is another demonstration of the greed in today's sports. These guys are getting paid phenomenal amounts of money, and still they are not satisfied.

But will it matter 2 or 3 years from now, probably not. I remember all these people swearing off baseball after the strike, and now people don't even remember it, and we're paying players in 100's of MILLIONS of dollars.

So do I care? No, I'd rather watch the minor league Wolves play in Chicago, since they actually win now and then, as opposed to the Blackhawks.

6. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Yes I am quite sad. Worst part is it looks like we are no where close to closing the issues at hand. I seriously doubt there will be hockey this year.

7. reckless_0001 macrumors 6502

Last I remember NHL hockey players got pay significantly less than NBA, NFL, and MLb players.. I could be wrong though.

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Meh. I can't even remember the last time Dabroons were really interesting.

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

You are correct - the highest paid player in the NHL makes $11M, in the NBA $28M, in MLB $22.5M.

But the minimum salary for NHL appears to be higher ($400K) than MLB (~$300K) and NBA (~$366) for 2003-4, the last year I can find salary data for the NHL.

Thankfully I don't have to worry about struggling along on such paltry wages. Peasants. :rolleyes: ;)

10. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

11. makisushi thread starter macrumors 6502

They don't even have any meetings scheduled to talk about the issues!
    The way this is going, I could see the NHL (National Hockey League) dissolving, and another league forming.

12. jdechko macrumors 68040

I miss it now! Fox Sports Net actually played a replay of a Nash/SJ game the other day and I got really excited about it. Actually, though the ECHL (Gwinnett Gladiators) plays about 20 minutes from where I live, so hopefully I will get my hockey fix from them. Going to an ECHL game is cheaper anyway - $18/ticket, lower level, row J, Blue line, Penalty Box side. :cool:

13. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

Yeah, but hockey brings in less revenue than all of the other major league sports. The real problem is that the NHL is constantly losing revenue as a whole. Businesses can't operate if they are consistently taking losses year after year. Hockey is the least popular among the major leagues, but the players want the same kind of salaries. :eek:

14. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Well said. The NHL has been so busy with trying to bring hockey to the masses (the USA) that they've lost focus on running a proper business. Based on the ratings of hockey games in the US it will likely never be as popular as the NBA, MLB or NFL. And as a result they should never demand the kind of salaries that those other sports provide.

15. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

sigh.
    yea....it all sucks. but i wish i could just turn on the tv and randomly catch a game or two...god i love hockey.
    :(

16. filmcutter macrumors member

at first it was just an annoyance. Now that baseball is over and after the elections, I really am feeling major depression and withdrawals without hockey. We have a decent minor league team, but it just ain't the same.

No "pro" athlete works harder than hockey players. And there is no sport that has the intensity, speed and excitement as a pro hockey game (you can argue all you want, I will never concede).

The silver lining in it all would be if a new league is formed, or if existing teams relocate, we're in a good position to get a major league team no that Paul Allen no longer controls our "NHL caliber" arena!

Here's to hoping a resumption of the season after the new year!

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Screw hockey, I'm waiting for the college basketball season to start. Go Uconn.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem with the NHL is that the season goes to long, I don't like watching hockey in the middle of June when the season should be over by April. They need to cut the season down so it doesn't overlap with baseball.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't really care about Hockey either. I do feel sorry to the working man in this situation. The vendors and rink staff that get minimum wage are the ones suffering. Without the fans none of the sport figures or owners would receive their outrageous amount of money.

20. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Maybe the baseball season is too long...
    ;)

Either way, the length of the season has nothing to do with the current labor dispute.

21. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

I second that! Owners AND players are too hard headed to realize that they aren't the only people to be affected by this lock-out. They can hold out for how-ever long it lasts, but what about the sportsbars next to these arenas, or the vendors inside them. Sure, there is the NBA in most of these cities, but hockey is a huge revenue generator for these places, because it lasts 80+ games and 8 months. What ever happened to the new revamped WHA? That looks like it's never gonna get off the ground! :rolleyes:

22. sigamy macrumors 65816

"Heeee shoots and scoressss!"

"Great balls of fire"

"Oh, look out Loretta"

"Scratch my back with a hacksaw"

We need a hockey deal so I can watch Mario's last few years. Only good thing about the lockout is that I'm saving $180 on NHL Center Ice.

Let's Go Pens!

23. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

"get in the fast lane grandma, the bingo game is ready to roll"

"he beats him like a rented mule"

mike langue. i miss him.

i'm with p'brit. bettman must die.

24. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

It's common knowledge that this was the Flyers' year! Saw Game 6 from the '74 Cup on last night on Sportschannel. Even though it was 30 years ago, it still was a great feeling seeing that cup in the old Spectrum.

25. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I've watched a couple college hockey games on CSTV. They were fun to watch, but not nearly the caliber of pro hockey. But on the bright side, I don't have to see Peter Forsberg this year (every single game telivised on ESPN in the West coast is either a Colorado or Detroit game), and hopefully he'll never be back. I just hope the NHL is back next year, so I can go to games in Boston.