NHL/ NHLPA Reach Tentative Deal

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rickvanr, Jul 13, 2005.

1. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Who'll get Crosby? My guess is somehow, one of the major markets will end up with him. Chicago, LA, New York? If he doesn't go there now, he'll be there in 3-4 years, I would guess.

Here's to hoping the St. Louis Blues get him! (; I'm a homer all the way!

It's good to hear that this is FINALLY about to end. Part of me really wants to not care and say "screw it" and not go to a game again...but I don't think that's the right way to act with something I love.

3. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

It's about time! The players never should have resisted the salary cap in the first place, and we would have had a good season last year. At least there's going to be hockey this year, finally!!

4. goodwill macrumors regular

5. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

A sport that's really exciting to watch.

Very much the opposite of baseball.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Hey, baseball is the greatest sport in the world, no matter what the olympics say. :mad:

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I do wonder if figure skateing, :rolleyes: I mean hockey can survive a year off and then start back up again with the fan support. No sport has gone this long without playing.

8. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

.. or what the rest of the world says.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I didn't see many people upset in America over no hockey last year. It seems like Canada missed it more than the US. Japan is a big baseball country as well as central america.

10. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I was upset. My team wins their first Cup, and the rug is pulled out from under our feet. It was very disappointing.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Not to take this completely off topic but I thought the Olympics were supposed to showcase amateur talent. They have the NHL players drop 2 weeks of the season to go and they wanted MLB to do the same thing. I thought they didn't want pro athletes to compete now they do.

12. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Uhhh, had you heard of hockey prior to the lockout?

Well did you see many Canadians, Europeans, Russian, or Eastern Asian countries upset about the Baseball strike? No (with the exception of some Quebecers because the Expos had a legit shot at the championship.)

13. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Aside from figure skating and boxing, I can't think of any other popular sports in the olympics that don't use professional athletes. This is of course excluding sports that have leagues that won't release them to play.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem hockey is having is the same problem all pro sports are having, they expand to quick and cant afford to pay everyone overpriced salaries.

15. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Look, baseball stinks horribly because there is no salary cap. Because of teams like Boston and New York, there is no competition, and the league has no balance. When MLB decides to use a salary cap, I, along with millions of other sports fans will watch. Until then, baseball is still gonna rot. Don't get me wrong- I love the game of baseball. It's MLB and their $200 million/yr contracts that repel me. It's the salary cap that got the NFL where it is today, and it's the salary cap that's going to help the NHL. The NBA is in the same boat as baseball. The only difference between basketball and baseball (for me) is the fact that I don't like basketball to begin with. :rolleyes:

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And we all know how well the United States did in basketball last year. The olympics are just like everything else, make money. The pro sports should be kept out of it so everyones seasons are not thrown out of wack.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The reason why football has the best model is because of the hugh TV contract. They make billions off of the revenue. Hockey can't afford to offer such a rich TV deal because its more of a regional sport. I agree that baseball is out of aline with the players contracts, but look at the NY Rangers, they have the highest payroll in hockey and they are one of the worst teams. Its not how you spend the money its how wisely you spend it.

18. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Not anymore. ;)

19. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Yup, but the US lobbied and got that changed years ago so they could use Pro basketball players and guarantee themselves another medal.

Kind of ironic how that one worked out.

20. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Other countries have been using professionals in the Olympics for a long time. The U.S. started on that road with the Dream Team in 1992. The Olympics have dropped the pretense of having amateur athletes and now just claim to want the "best athletes."

21. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    And take a look at where my beloved Yanks are in the standings... There is more to winning than buying all the best players.

22. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I literally fall asleep trying to watch baseball.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Thats why I watch soccer. :) It helps me sleep.

24. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Heh, I have trouble staying awake for soccer games too, but for different reasons. Those 3:30 AM world cup matches are killer!

25. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

If you compare the competitive balance of MLB to the NBA and NFL, baseball stacks up pretty well, despite the payroll disparities. It's at least as much about management as it is about revenue.

It's not that the league has "no balance". It's that the AL East has no balance because the Red Sox and Yankees are both in that division. That sucks for teams like Tampa, Baltimore, and Toronto. But there's plenty of balance in the other divisions, except maybe for the NL Central right now. Despite all that money, the Yankees have not won the World Series since 2000, beaten every year since then by teams with lower payrolls.