Nice Bombs- the things about Iraq you won't see in the media

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Aug 18, 2006.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OK- I've talked about this film before, but had not seen the entire thing until tonight at The Chicago Underground Film Festival.

In short, I was floored. This is the real thing guys. I have never seen anything that moved me in quite this way. We haven't just made a mess over there, we've DESTROYED Iraq and with it any hopes for a democracy. We have single-handedly insured that the next government of Iraq will either be a dictatorship or a theocracy. This film was made by a director I have known for years and it was so sad to see his family in this situation (to be clear, he is an Iraqi-American who went back to Iraq to see his family in 2003 and filmed his experience).

There is literally just about nothing we can do to fix this situation. We destroyed the people and their culture. We have created a nation of zealots where there were none before. This is the saddest film I've ever seen in my life. My heart broke watching it.

And the thing is- it was very objective and there was no slant to the film. The director talked to people on both sides of the issue in Iraq. But the undeniable feeling was that we had broken it, so we should fix it- but also that we had no plans how to do so. The feeling was also that we owed them something and haven't delivered. And it's sad because they really believed we would help them. In the early days of the war, so many of them really believed that. They are bitter and angry now.

Way to go, dumba** Bush.

Guys- this film is gonna go far beyond our festival. Studs Terkel and Christie Hefner both spoke before the screening tonight and are committed to taking it to the masses. When that happens, no congressman who voted for the war will be safe, believe me. Republican or Democrat, there is no denying what this film presents.

I gave Usama (the director) a big hug tonight and just said thank you. And he said, "Oh, you enjoyed it?" I said, "I don't know if that's the right word- I am thankful for it."

http://www.nicebombs.com/
    www.cuff.org

Relevant reviews so far:
    http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/movies/mmx-060811-movies-review-bombs,1,7041341.story

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Hopefully this'll end up on netflix. I'd love to hate to see it, if you know what I mean. :)

e

3. iGary Guest

iGary

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That's what so good about this movie- no political slant. This ain't "Michael Moore propaganda" as they like to say.

5. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Does it just strait up show what it's like in Iraq these days?

6. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I'm sure it will be dismissed as such. :(

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Thomas Ricks wrote a book Fiasco about Iraq and the mess that it is. From what I understand this book doesn't have much of a slant to it either. Strait up testimonial from soldiers on the ground. I haven't seen this movie, nor have I read the book. I think read/watch both in the near future.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, it does. His family and the people he talked to were pretty much split in their opinions about the US, but like I said they all agreed that a huge mess had been made.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Synonyms for Iraq War: Debacle, Fiasco, complete and total Charlie Five.
    Antonyms: Success.