Nice deal on HK soundsticks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bilba, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Bilba macrumors member

Hey all,

For those interested, I was able to get a nice deal on the 3-set soundsticks.
    Officemax.com sells these for 149.98 (comes with free shipping). This is a nice deal already, but why not add a 30$ off coupon to take the price down a little bit?

anyway, this is a coupon code for 30 out of 150 (u need to add small item to get the price above 150). Check out fatwallet.com for the current links on coupons.

Fatwallet.com officemax coupons

I was unable to find a better deal than this from a respectable seller.

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I can beat that....

I found JBL Invaders at Best Buy for $79.99!

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Already got the white Creature IIs, but that might be enough to have made me change my mind (if the iSub/SoundSticks didn't use USB)

4. Achtung_U2 macrumors member

Hey, thats a great deal on the HK soundsticks. The other post on the JBL's.... well, thats a great price too, for what they are, but trust me.... apples & oranges, the JBL set for $80 bucks sounds nothing like the HK stuff.... and then theres the (subjective) asthetic value as well.

All depends on someone's needs, wants and $$$.

Sometimes... you get what you pay for :)

5. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

But come on, neither of them SOUND very good. You're paying for the Harman NAME, not the sound quality (same but worse for JBL, whose products are even more vastly overpriced for their sound quality)....

For $150 you can do so much better it's scary. Logitech 7.1s? Klipsch Promedias? :p

Right now I use a JVC GT90 stereo with an M-Audio Sonica, and I'm ridiculously impressed with it (the Sonica is the best $60 I ever spent) -- sounds VASTLY better than Soundsticks and the combined price was around $300, for a fully-functional stereo and hardware EQ that only happens to double as computer speakers...

The Promedias may not look as swank as the SoundSticks, but they are a world apart when it comes to sound... and they're $150, THX certified, cinema-quality speakers. They do sound quite a bit better than my setup, seriously. I want 'em :D

[shrug] It's your money...

6. Achtung_U2 macrumors member

Hey blue...

You're 100% right.... my setup is in the office room and used mainly at low volume for background music when working at the desk. Certainly, there is no comparison to my 'real' audio system in the living room, and i wouldnt expect there to be. If I raise the volume in iTunes on occasion, i do always need to go and adjust the EQ's bass levels to avoid distortion.

For myself, as I mentioned.... I mostly appreciate the asthetic aspect of the soundsticks in how well they blend with my Apple products on the desktop.

Besides, I can vouch for harman reliability/integrity, owning numerous components by them over the last 20 years that all still work perfectly.

Bought the soundsticks when they were first released, so thats already been some years now, and I def paid way more than anyone will have to these days. If I recall, I think they were about $240 back then.

As I said earlier, this all subjective. dif wants, needs, $$$.

And... as far as when you brought up Klipsch, my experience has been that ANYTHING I have ever heard from them was simply... amazing.

Take care.

7. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

Right you are. For looks, there's not much that can match the Soundsticks... though in my opinion Pro Speakers + an iSub look better (I bought an iSub for my Pros and it didn't work, so I had to send it back :( )

So, yeah... anyone reading this and thinking I'm overly negative towards HK, I'm not... just that you're paying a lot for looks (which I think is a conclusion we can all reach)... but they are some snazzy looks :D